Jinn's 100 Films of the 2010s

Tools    

I didn't either, since it was originally @ThatDarnMKS's point, but thanks anyway.

*tips hat and slips back into the abyss*

*slips back into the abyss*
Oh. come on and play along, Sexy. Don't be sore just because Joker ain't making the list.

Unless I missed it, curious about your views on "Boyhood". My favorite of the decade.
Nope. Didn't make the list.

Oh. come on and play along, Sexy. Don't be sore just because Joker ain't making the list.
But have they even heard me cite cursory knowledge of Baudrillard in its defense??? Have they???

*flips table and slinks back into the abyss*

65. Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011, dir. Sean Durkin)

A claustrophobic look at cult psychology and its lingering after-effects. Stark to the point of hypothermia, it's a much deeper, empathetic and rewarding viewing than some of the other similar films, like Sound of My Voice or The East, and likely more fun than whatever island resort that Jared Leto is currently trying to lure the disposably affluent to.

HM: Room (2015) is a powerful drama which I don't feel is necessarily helped by the wraparound hostage plot. On the sheer matter of the psychology, the examination of clinical depression, it could stand on its own without such a criminal conceit.

64. To The Wonder (2012, dir. Terrence Malick)

Less focused than Malick's other recent films, this is still another fecund slice of his current approach to narrative, which is absent of linear plot in lieu of an emotionally associative cycle of vignettes that trace the character's progression through fleeting, fragmentary "memories".

I'm aware that Malick's aesthetic is not for everyone and many are inclined to dimiss it. I happen to be a generous appraiser of his work, but I feel that his radical approach is some of the most exciting innovations in 21st century filmmaking.

63. The Immigrant (2013, dir. James Gray)

Sumptuous recreation of 1920s lower Manhattan, but the production design and detail takes a backseat to the tremendous acting from most of the players (I'll probably never understand the "talent" of Jeremy Renner).

HM: Terence Davies is one of the best for austere, prestige period pieces, and his Deep Blue Sea and Sunset Song are worth checking out.

73. Frances Ha---It might have been me you clapped back on this one. But then again, I have a low tolerance for rich people problems. It's a shame, really, because I thought Gertwig was fine. As well as Adam Driver. Just didn't care for the script or story.

70. Scott Pilgrim vs the World---Perhaps among the best comic book movies turned into film and it's because Wright allows the zaniness to carry the day while sneaking in morals on self-worth. Just a darn good time at the movies.

Part of the reason you might have gotten confused between me and Rock is that I liked Spring Breakers.

73. Frances Ha---It might have been me you clapped back on this one. But then again, I have a low tolerance for rich people problems. It's a shame, really, because I thought Gertwig was fine. As well as Adam Driver. Just didn't care for the script or story.
I'd remember I thought more or less the same. It's technically brilliant, but I just don't care about anything that happens.

Some thoughts...

Sicario is pretty solid. Everybody in the cast is great, and Villeneuve's direction is superb. That whole caravan into Mexico during the first half was extremely tense. But when all is said and done, it's not Top 3 Villeneuve for me.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World I saw it last year and, although overall I liked it, I wasn't really impressed or smitten with it. Original execution, though. It just didn't stick with me.

And speaking of films that didn't stick with me, Blade Runner 2049 is a perfect example. I saw it, remember liking it, but can barely remember anything in the second half. I seriously need to rewatch it. #ImOld

Some thoughts...

Sicario is pretty solid. Everybody in the cast is great, and Villeneuve's direction is superb. That whole caravan into Mexico during the first half was extremely tense. But when all is said and done, it's not Top 3 Villeneuve for me.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World I saw it last year and, although overall I liked it, I wasn't really impressed or smitten with it. Original execution, though. It just didn't stick with me.

And speaking of films that didn't stick with me, Blade Runner 2049 is a perfect example. I saw it, remember liking it, but can barely remember anything in the second half. I seriously need to rewatch it. #ImOld
Villeneuve's a really good director from what I've seen (which is his last three movies), I just don't feel he was the right director for a Thriller like Sicario, as his overall style and sensibility tends to have a certain emotional detachment to it, which kept me somewhat distanced from the characters and their situation in that film (sometimes literally, as an argument between Blunt & Brolin that practically demanded for a close-up at some point was shot entirely in an inexplicable medium shot instead, which sapped that scene of a lot of the intensity it should've had). That being said, his style does make him well suited to directing Sci-Fi with big, ambitious ideas, like 2049, and if you can't remember anything from the second half, then you definitely need to rewatch it, as that's the section that has the best scene:

Villeneuve's a really good director from what I've seen (which is his last three movies), I just don't feel he was the right director for a Thriller like Sicario, as his overall style and sensibility tends to have a certain emotional detachment to it, which kept me somewhat distanced from the characters and their situation in that film (sometimes literally, as an argument between Blunt & Brolin that practically demanded for a close-up at some point was shot entirely in an inexplicable medium shot instead, which sapped that scene of a lot of the intensity it should've had). That being said, his style does make him well suited to directing Sci-Fi with big, ambitious ideas, like 2049, and if you can't remember anything from the second half, then you definitely need to rewatch it, as that's the section that has the best scene:

I admit to dozing off at some points (not the film's fault), but even though I'm pretty sure I went back to catch up, I might have missed the essence of it. A rewatch is on my watchlist for sure.

it's not Top 3 Villeneuve for me.
*check list*

It doesn't appear to be Top 3 Villeneuve here either

I admit to dozing off at some points (not the film's fault), but even though I'm pretty sure I went back to catch up, I might have missed the essence of it. A rewatch is on my watchlist for sure.
I had issue with 2049's occasionally glacial pacing and somewhat unnecessary length both times I watched it (although less so the second, since I was expecting it), but I think it might help for you to watch it split up over multiple days, since doing that helped me like Heat better when I rewatched it recently, as opposed to my first watch, which was in one sitting, which made me really feel its length.

Victim of The Night
63. The Immigrant (2013, dir. James Gray)

(I'll probably never understand the "talent" of Jeremy Renner).
Ya know, I generally agree with you on that point but I did think he was very good in Wind River so I've started to accept him.

Victim of The Night
I'd remember I thought more or less the same. It's technically brilliant, but I just don't care about anything that happens.
Maybe that's how I ended up feeling. I really did just keep waiting for literally anything interesting to happen since there didn't seem to be any real stakes other than this kinda useless person finding some direction in life, which there have already been many movies about.

Victim of The Night
Some thoughts...

I had a similar reaction except that I actually ended up not liking the film.
I was all in during the first half but likely because of all the promise that was there and Villeneuve's way... but then the second half happened and I was so sorely disappointed that I left kinda bitter.

Victim of The Night
Villeneuve's a really good director from what I've seen (which is his last three movies), I just don't feel he was the right director for a Thriller like Sicario, as his overall style and sensibility tends to have a certain emotional detachment to it, which kept me somewhat distanced from the characters and their situation in that film (sometimes literally, as an argument between Blunt & Brolin that practically demanded for a close-up at some point was shot entirely in an inexplicable medium shot instead, which sapped that scene of a lot of the intensity it should've had).
See, I felt like Sicario stood out from so many other military thrillers because it had Villeneuve (and Del Toro). The space he allowed everything to have, the quite moments, the wide and medium shots, the slower pace of editing, and really giving his actors a lot of room to breathe made the film stand out to me. I missed seeing it for a while because I assumed it would be just what it appeared to be but I felt Villeneuve actually elevated the whole damn genre with that film. I compare it to Zero Dark Thirty, another military thriller that could have been so rote in the hands of someone who is skillful but not an artist.