Movies you couldn't even finish.

Tools    

Why do I torture myself with never-ending Woody Allen movies? It’s literally decades since I’ve seen a decent movie from him.
Midnight in Paris came out in 2011 tho?

I really enjoyed Irrational Man. Have you seen it?
Recently added to my Netflix Q. Only added because of Joaquin.

I like watching movies , I love learning from them
My case is the following : Usually the movies I select to watch, are the ones I believe will have a valuable lesson, for life in general and for me personally. So when I start a movie, I keep watching till the end, I want so much to discover what will happen to the plot, but also an inspiring movie quote and a lesson that will make me want to improve

Love Frederick Wiseman documentaries, but no way could I watch 4 hours & 4 minutes of this. After 53 minutes I felt like I was in college. Way too talky.

I always finish a film when I'm watching it for the first time.
This thread makes me sad. Not because people don't finish movies, I have definitely been guilty. But why they turn them off and how quickly. Like people are turning off films ten minutes in because they think they won't like them. My mind can't grasp that.

This thread makes me sad. Not because people don't finish movies, I have definitely been guilty. But why they turn them off and how quickly. Like people are turning off films ten minutes in because they think they won't like them. My mind can't grasp that.
Occasionally I’m wrong, but I can tell in 10 minutes if a movie sucks. And why anyone would watch an entire movie they don’t like simply to finish it is beyond me.

Occasionally I’m wrong, but I can tell in 10 minutes if a movie sucks. And why anyone would watch an entire movie they don’t like simply to finish it is beyond me.

I never feel guilty about not finishing a movie (required watching movies are different, like Hof films, I do watch them), but for movies I choose on my own, I feel no need to watch the entire movie if I don't want. For every movie I shut off, there's another to watch that otherwise I wouldn't have time to see.

I almost always know by the 15 minute mark if a film if going to be worth watching for me. It's not like I only have 1 movie and if I give up on it, I'll have to watch paint dry for the rest of the evening. And I'm almost never wrong, 98% of the time if I find a movie blows in the first 15 minutes, it blows all the way through (for my taste that is). I guess I'm selfish, as I consider myself and my time to be more important than any movie.

I'm not suggesting anyone should feel guilty or sit through anything they don't feel like. However I don't think I can call Casablanca a masterpiece by sitting through ten minutes. so I shouldn't be able to call a movie garbage in that time either. Lots of movies I don't watch based on trailers and word of mouth, so I am not suggesting you can't be discerning. Just can't for the life of me figure out why I would be drawn to a movie but almost immediately decide differently.

Just can't for the life of me figure out why I would be drawn to a movie but almost immediately decide differently.
So if you go to a party & the hostess gives you a big serving of a casserole that you immediately dislike, you will eat the entire thing? Hoping that the more mouthfuls you take, the more you will like it?

So if you go to a party & the hostess gives you a big serving of a casserole that you immediately dislike, you will eat the entire thing? Hoping that the more mouthfuls you take, the more you will like it?
More like if I go to a concert and don't like the first song, I get up and leave.

I'm not suggesting anyone should feel guilty or sit through anything they don't feel like. However I don't think I can call Casablanca a masterpiece by sitting through ten minutes. so I shouldn't be able to call a movie garbage in that time either. Lots of movies I don't watch based on trailers and word of mouth, so I am not suggesting you can't be discerning. Just can't for the life of me figure out why I would be drawn to a movie but almost immediately decide differently.
The last sentence of yours explains it. It's all in how we select movies. It sounds like you put some thought into what you'll watch.

I know Stirchley will stream movies just to try them out, sort of a blind grab. I also do a blind grab when I go to the library. I go to the DVD section and pick movies solely based on their covers, titles or who's in them. I usually don't have my reading glasses so I don't bother with reading the back cover.

So in mine and Stirchley's case we're doing random movie watches, which is much different than doing a bit of research before watching a film....If I was doing a Woody Allen or Ozu study and I didn't like the film I'd still watch it so that I could learn more about their filmography.

But if I blind grab a movie from the library and it sucks, off it goes.

@Citizen Rules, just checked & I have 182 movies in my Netflix Q + 79 saved movies. In addition, I have a substantial dvd home collection, which includes a big pile of DVDs I have bought, but not watched yet. I also have a substantial Amazon video library. I also go in & out of Hulu, HBO Now, & Netflix streaming. Not to mention several TV shows that I am keeping up with.

I chiefly get my movie tips from the New York Times & the New Yorker. If they say a movie is bad, I will not watch it. Having said that, there have been many movies they have recommended that I hated. I basically trust my own taste & judgment, which, IMO, is good.

I thought of something else, for many people they mainly watch TV and movie night is a special night. So they often choose movies carefully. Me, I don't watch TV so I watch a movie every single night, so it's not a special thing for me. But however anyone does it is OK by me

I thought of something else, for many people they mainly watch TV and movie night is a special night. So they often choose movies carefully. Me, I don't watch TV so I watch a movie every single night, so it's not a special thing for me. But however anyone does it is OK by me
I just found out why I didn’t watch this movie 14 years ago. It stinks!

The last one I watched. The Tenant from 76..Polanski rubbish.