Fireworks + Rockets

Tools    

Yesterday was brutal where we live. The noise from this stuff was unbelievable. A neighbor told me most of it was from a party on the street behind us. He may be right because there was no detritus at all from fireworks or rockets on our street this morning.

Out of curiosity I called the non-emergency police line this a.m. to ascertain at what time fireworks must end. She told me our city had “inundated” the police line with calls about the noise. I was shocked when she told me that there were no time constraints at all. “Private citizens can let off fireworks whenever they want.” WTH!

Later on I realized this makes no sense at all. A “private citizen” cannot use a snow blower or a leaf blower after 9 p.m. (It might be 8 p.m. on Sunday.) A private citizen cannot start building a garden shed before 7 a.m. (might be 8 a.m. Sunday.) And he definitely can’t mow his lawn before 7 a.m.

Fireworks are so pretty, I like them as much as anyone else. And their noise is not too bad, but the sound of the rockets is appalling. My outside cats were terrified.

What’s the situation where you live with fireworks?

All fireworks are illegal in my city and the local police department has a "zero tolerance" policy for people who set them off.

And yet I started hearing frequent explosions in my neighborhood on Friday and kept on hearing them through the weekend and all of Sunday night. Not a police officer in sight. Fortunately my cats got a little startled after the first few loud explosions, but quickly switched to just ignoring them and were completely unfazed by the time things really ramped up on Sunday.

You ready? You look ready.
All projectile fireworks are illegal here, but no way cops can do anything about it when everyone is popping off at the same time.

I was on edge all night.

…And we’re on night four of constant explosions. I had my window open and there was a really loud one close by just a minute ago. Startled me pretty bad and set off a neighbor’s car alarm.

Give it a rest, people. The damn holiday is over.

I had a helava show out any window in my house. Seemed like everything was legal, including firearms and cannon rounds. But after midnight all was silent....eerie

Motown does violence right.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yesterday was brutal where we live. The noise from this stuff was unbelievable.

We had the same situation here. The fireworks were loud and constant. It started as soon as the sun went down, and continued non-stop until well after midnight. It sounded like a freight train was coming through here most of the night.

I like watching fireworks from a safe distance, and I usually don't mind the noise, but it was just ridiculous this year. Usually they shoot off some fireworks, then they take a break, and it continues like that on and off all night, but this year there were no breaks, and the noise was coming from every direction.

It was the first year ever that I seriously considered calling the police to file a complaint on my neighbors, but I decided against it for some reason.

A “private citizen” cannot use a snow blower or a leaf blower after 9 p.m. (It might be 8 p.m. on Sunday.)

We can use snow blowers any time of the night or day. It's considered an emergency service here. If something were to happen in the house emergency personnel need to get in. I've had conversations with people about this and they never believed me until they called to complain. Now I just get dirty looks and wave.

But, yeah, the fireworks are annoying

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I've heard reports of buildings being burnt down and people being injured and killed. It seems safety is not on the minds of people engaged in this stuff.

I like watching fireworks from a safe distance, and I usually don't mind the noise, but it was just ridiculous this year. Usually they shoot off some fireworks, then they take a break, and it continues like that on and off all night, but this year there were no breaks, and the noise was coming from every direction.

It was the first year ever that I seriously considered calling the police to file a complaint on my neighbors, but I decided against it for some reason.
Yeah, fireworks are very pretty. I mean, who the heck doesn’t like fireworks? But these rocket/cannons things take all the fun out of it.

I was reading through the CT ordinances & all fireworks, rockets, etc. are, much to my surprise, illegal here. So I am very confused since the female cop/dispatcher told me a “private citizen” has no time constraints on setting off this stuff. Sometimes the cops shoot one a line just to get us off the phone.

I can relate to you not calling the cops on a neighbor. I have to live with the mixed races/nationalities on my street & I always try to communicate out of a tricky situation first.

Thanks for your comments everyone. I appreciate it.

I've heard reports of buildings being burnt down and people being injured and killed. It seems safety is not on the minds of people engaged in this stuff.

I heard a report today that some people were shooting off illegal fireworks on Long Island, and they burnt down their neighbors' house. The family got out, but their dog was killed.

Yeah, fireworks are very pretty. I mean, who the heck doesn’t like fireworks? But these rocket/cannons things take all the fun out of it.

I was reading through the CT ordinances & all fireworks, rockets, etc. are, much to my surprise, illegal here. So I am very confused since the female cop/dispatcher told me a “private citizen” has no time constraints on setting off this stuff. Sometimes the cops shoot one a line just to get us off the phone.
Fireworks are illegal here too, but the police seem to let it go on (and around) July 4th. With all the injuries every year, you would think that this would be the best time for them to enforce the law, but I guess there are just too many people doing it to arrest everyone.

I can relate to you not calling the cops on a neighbor. I have to live with the mixed races/nationalities on my street & I always try to communicate out of a tricky situation first.
I don't know most of my neighbors, but I just think it's a bad idea to report neighbors for noise complaints that only happen this time of the year. If it was something that I had to worry about it happening all the time, I would have no choice but to report it if it didn't stop.

I heard a report today that some people were shooting off illegal fireworks on Long Island, and they burnt down their neighbors' house. The family got out, but their dog was killed.
Holy Moses! No house & no dog. I would be beside myself.

When I had my own rental house I started watering the roof just before July 4th...

In previous years, my neighbors would set off fireworks and some of them would land on the roof of my home and continue to burn. Even though I'd point out that the rockets were burning on my roof, the neighbors would just laugh and say things like, "Hope your whole house doesn't burn down!"

All police would do was encourage them to aim their fireworks away from other houses, but when lighting them on a very narrow street where houses are close together, you can't aim them.

So I started watering the roof as a precaution.

NHL goalie for Columbus Blue Jackets was recently killed by some fireworks. They can be very dangerous when not used correctly

I live in a small village, but, the fireworks per person must be highest in the country, I'm telling you. Your cousin's you don't really talk to birthday -> Fireworks. How many? Never frinking ending, I don't know where the hell they get so many, I mean, their company must be paying these people in fireworks.

And then, when you think it's finally over:

NHL goalie for Columbus Blue Jackets was recently killed by some fireworks. They can be very dangerous when not used correctly
He was killed by a stray mortar rocket.

They're illegal where I live but there are always a lot going off for several days. It doesn't bother me because my dogs aren't afraid. Actually they want to go outside and see what's what.

Strangely enough, since my 1st post it has been so very quiet around here. No rockets & no fireworks. Very unusual for these summer months. Maybe the cops are clamping down though I doubt this.