Movie Forums Top Foreign Language Films Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I intended to submit my ballot early before the rush towards the deadline, but it's proving too hard to narrow down any further than 35 at the moment.

Currently, we have enough films to make a top 50. Thanks to everyone who has sent in a ballot so far.

Whether you are deliberating over which films to cut from your list, or watching more to try to bulk it out, the deadline is one month from tomorrow.

Fingers crossed for enough ballots to make a creditable top 100.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've been working on my list as I watch the movies. I have a tentative list ready, but I'm still trying to watch some more movies before finalizing it.

But to be honest, I'm not sure how many more foreign movies I can watch. The movies are good, but I'm still not a fan of subtitles.

But to be honest, I'm not sure how many more foreign movies I can watch. The movies are good, but I'm still not a fan of subtitles.
Perhaps this is where Hubby need to step up to the plate by reading them pesky words out to you so you can concentrate purely on the visuals

Seriously though, if you don't get on with them then you don't get on with them - at least you have been perfectly willing to go out of your comfort zone and try which is far more some would ever do

Maybe try and squeeze a look at Cyborg She (aka My Girlfriend Is A Cyborg) before you run out of steam entirely though

I've got a working list of 25 but still want to see a few more before I submit. The biggest problem I have is trying to not have multiple films by the same Director(s).

Unregistered User
I'm so busy these days that Ive not been watching as many films, or even getting on here. Usually I leave it late, to get my list in but I'll probably get it it soon. Not started the elimination process yet but I'll be happy with the films Ive chosen for sure. No restrictions on my list, so as many Fellini, Bergman etc as I want.

Perhaps this is where Hubby need to step up to the plate by reading them pesky words out to you so you can concentrate purely on the visuals
I know that you're joking, but if I could get him to do that, it might actually help.

Seriously though, if you don't get on with them then you don't get on with them - at least you have been perfectly willing to go out of your comfort zone and try which is far more some would ever do

Maybe try and squeeze a look at Cyborg She (aka My Girlfriend Is A Cyborg) before you run out of steam entirely though
I haven't given up yet. I'm still trying to get through more of the movies on my watchlist before I submit my list. I'm just being a little bit more picky, and trying to watch the movies that I think might have a better chance to make my Top 25 list.

Cyborg She sounds like it might be one of those movies, (sci-fi and rom-com ). I think I found it on YouTube, so I'll definitely bump it to the top of my list.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I know that you're joking, but if I could get him to do that, it might actually help.
Would the words "air hockey" not still buy you a little credit

I haven't given up yet. I'm still trying to get through more of the movies on my watchlist before I submit my list. I'm just being a little bit more picky, and trying to watch the movies that I think might have a better chance to make my Top 25 list.

Cyborg She sounds like it might be one of those movies, (sci-fi and rom-com ). I think I found it on YouTube, so I'll definitely bump it to the top of my list.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply you'd given up, was actually praising the effort you are putting in despite finding it challenging.

Sadly I suspect that the same aspects that harmed Cyborg She for me will also knock it down for you so I wouldn't necessarily bump it to the top of your list, even though purely in terms of genre it's a perfect fit for you .... just think it would be worth you giving it a try before the deadline in the (probably unlikely) event that you are that much more forgiving than I.

Would the words "air hockey" not still buy you a little credit
Maybe. He still feels guilty about hitting me with the air hockey paddle, (but I try not to bring it up because it upsets him more than me).

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you'd given up, was actually praising the effort you are putting in despite finding it challenging.

Sadly I suspect that the same aspects that harmed Cyborg She for me will also knock it down for you so I wouldn't necessarily bump it to the top of your list, even though purely in terms of genre it's a perfect fit for you .... just think it would be worth you giving it a try before the deadline in the (probably unlikely) event that you are that much more forgiving than I.
No apology is necessary. I knew what you meant. I was just clarifying that I'm still watching foreign movies for as long as I can.

I'm hit or miss with being forgiving of minor issues in movies, depending on how much I like the rest of the movie. But I'll definitely try to give this movie a chance. (I've been watching a lot of heavy dramas, so a sci-fi/rom-com will be a nice change of pace. )

@Thursday Next

Would The Flowers of War (Zhang Yimou 2011) 'Jin ling shi san chai (original title)' be eligible for the countdown? Both English and Mandarin are spoken, as well as Japanese. Wiki says this:

It was selected as the Chinese entry for Best Foreign Language Film at the 84th Academy Awards,
It is a Chinese made film by a Chinese director.

@Thursday Next

Would The Flowers of War (Zhang Yimou 2011) 'Jin ling shi san chai (original title)' be eligible for the countdown? Both English and Mandarin are spoken, as well as Japanese. Wiki says this:

It is a Chinese made film by a Chinese director.

Seems like they would be eligible.

I sent mine a few months ago, and just kinda bumping this up as a reminder to those who haven't.
Thanks, just coming here to do the same!

We are up to 17 lists now. I know there are a whole lot of people who have said they will submit a list. There are around 3 weeks to go, so don't forget! We need as many lists as possible to make a really good countdown.

Thanks, just coming here to do the same!

We are up to 17 lists now. I know there are a whole lot of people who have said they will submit a list. There are around 3 weeks to go, so don't forget! We need as many lists as possible to make a really good countdown.
Mass PM mailings

I've only been here a month, that's not long enough to be eligible, right?
If I'm correct, you need to be a member for at least a month to be eligible to participate in these, so wait a couple more days and you should be good, I think.