Movie Forums Top Foreign Language Films Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Sent my list in!

BTW LOOOOVE the Submission Process -- THANK YOU @Yoda!!!!

and, of course, I'll be continually THANKING @Thursday Next for Hosting!!!!!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
This is making me seriously regret not coming here ages ago and participating in these Countdowns.
I'm sure there will be plenty more to come. And if we exhaust every topic, we can always start all over again.

Yeah, the ballot software, I imagine, makes running one of these a good deal less intimidating, too.

Back in my day we had to PM our lists uphill in the snow both ways.

But how many are off the 161 of previously shown

That is 161
All I can say at this point is.... some. Everything is still open to change, depending on submissions.

It's likely that the majority will have been on another list, because they are the films people like and think are good, so they are the films they will vote for.

Even if all 100 turn out to be on another list somewhere, I still think it this list worth doing in order to have a collection of foreign language films together in a list, rather than having to spot them hiding amongst the English language films on the other lists. People could use it as a reference point.

I do understand wanting to see different films, though, and that's something we will probably get more of in future lists. It's just that this one and the all-time list have by their nature been quite broad. One day maybe we could do lists for different regions, but I still think this had to come first.

There have been 678 films nominated so far for this list, so people are watching and enjoying a whole lot of different films.

Maybe one day we need a 'films that haven't been on any other list' list.

Just waiting on Thursday Next for a bit of help as a film isn't listed then I'm done.
Your list has now been safely received.

And with that list submitted, the current top two films now have exactly the same number of points!

This is...maybe actually a great idea?
It would probably have to wait until after we did the 2010s list or it would just be full of 2010s films.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Yeah, the ballot software, I imagine, makes running one of these a good deal less intimidating, too.

Ah, I remember those days. A long, arduous journey, indeed.

*sigh* Only thing I was any good at was collating the ballots lol.

The old way was great. It was lots of fun until you realized the numbers didn't add up and you had to back track to find what you missed. Still fun. Uphill both ways but also downhill.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Even though these last two weeks have been pretty quick, this is the one thing that feels like I've waited too long. It's finally happening tomorrow.