Martin Scorsese's The Irishman

Tools    

Never said it was a problem. I asked the poster a question.
I said it. Therefore, I believe it.

There's no better film than Rocky in my book.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

One of the best movie of genre

We've gone on holiday by mistake
All I can say is Wow!

A VERY strong film; a masterwork. My review:

The Irishman (2019)

This is a first rate production in nearly all aspects. It's chief detraction is the feeling of familiarity with the character types. There have been enough outstanding pictures where each of the main actors have played memorable Italian/Sicilian mob figures, that the tendency is to mistake the characters as cookie cutter versions of earlier dramas. The fact that neither Hoffa nor Sheeran were Italian can be lost on the audience, despite the film's title.

It would be helpful to viewers to first familiarize themselves with the Hoffa/Teamsters/mob events of the 1960s. I grew up with the Hoffa saga, and there simply was not a larger nor more familiar personality in the news, week in and week out. His press attention, his loud mouth, and his insistence on re-establishing his Teamsters authority resulted in his murder.

The tone and pace of the film were absorbing. Scorsese took Steven Zaillian's screenplay (from the book by Charles Brandt) and allowed ample time for the characters to develop their relationships-- a pleasing change from today's split second, short attention span action flicks. The cinematography by Rodgrigo Prieto --a veteran of films by Innaritu, Stone, and Scorsese-- is captivating, with perfect framing and lighting.

The heavyweight cast was a delight to watch: not only the 3 principals (DeNiro, Pacino and Pesci, along with Harvey Keitel), but a superb supporting cast including Bobby Cannavale, Ray Romano, and Stephen Graham.

Much was made of the "de-aging" of the principals. It was a detraction, more so in portraying their very early years. But from the time they were middle aged and older, the make up and styling were very effective. Granted, the scene where a 76 year old DeNiro thrashed a younger heavier shopkeeper looked fakey. However it didn't change the meaning of the action.

The period music was fitting, and helped establish the feel of the era. "In the Still of the Night", the doo-wop hit by The Five Satins was one of the best period specific songs, and is one of the all time slow dancing make-out songs. There were other memorable hits from the era, such as "I Hear You Knocking", "A White Sport Coat (and a Pink Carnation", and "Cry", to name a few.

One gets the feeling that this will be Scorsese's last "mob" type picture, and if so it's a strong and fitting way to exit the style.

Doc's rating: 8/10

All I can say is Wow!

Wish Scorsese had gone to the deep fake people.
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Honestly, thought this movie was pretty dull and struggled to stay awake. Watched it over 2 days and my conclusion was, yes the acting was brilliant, yes the deepfake was impressive, but was it exciting? More of a drag if im completely honest

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Wish Scorsese had gone to the deep fake people.
Its literally so many times better than what they actually did

Lot to like in this film but after about 10 mins the CGI on De Niro etc made it feel like I was watching a video game. Sure it was Incredible and Impressive how they did it but it still turned them all into botox jelly men and left most of their facial expressions lost in the void. Kind of messed with my brain after a while as I was attuned to expecting that instantaneous facial cue thing in conversations, the reading of the air, but it was perpetually lost. Especially with Jimmy Hoffa.

Did like the realistic approach to shooting a guy in the face. None of this American TV cop drama "oh but we're we're all incredible marksman from 20 yards" rubbish, da mafia tuff guyz walk right up to that mother****er on the pavement and wave that tiny little girls gun right in that arseholes face and pop pop pop.

Bit annoying and juvenile how any trivial little difference of opinion turns into an execution a bit later on. "You wuz 10 minutes late to my meeting you c***s*****r!" Later on to the henchmen; "he has to go". Scorcese's mafia guyz were just walnut-brained little boys still settling childish pin-dicked beefs in the schoolyard. Except now with access to guns. Had to be realistic I suppose? It was Scorcese.

Liked the poignant, stark approach to death at the ending. Was any of it worth it? You die alone. Was it worth shooting Johnny "Dime Store Putz" DiRuzzuto in the face 40 years ago cos he didnt say thank you fast enough to Little Louis DiStefano in the pizzeria that one time? Later on to the henchmen; "Johnny "Dime Store Putz" DiRuzzuto has to go".