Movie Forums Top Foreign Language Films Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

So interesting to see how the list is shaping up. So many good films just outside the top 100 as well.
I bet! Hoping we get to see the full list once the countdown is over, hopefully Yods has made it easy to present (he's usually quite forward thinking like that)

48 lists!

And another change at the top. So interesting to see how the list is shaping up. So many good films just outside the top 100 as well.

But how many are off the 161 of previously shown

MoFo Millennium (15): City of God, Amélie, Pan's Labyrinth, Old Boy, Spirited Away, The Lives of Others, Talk to Her, Let the Right One In, Downfall, Battle Royale, Werckmeister Harmonies, Hero, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring, and Brotherhood of the Wolf

MoFo '90s (18): Princess Mononoke, Chunking Express, Man Bites Dog, Sonatine, Hana-bi, Three Colours: Rouge, Underground, The Double Life of Veronique, Whisper of the Heart, Three Colours: Blue, La Haine, All About My Mother, Life is Beautiful, A Brighter Summer Day, Fallen Angels, Close-Up, Farewell My Concubine, Fu*king Åmål, and The Hole (1998)

MoFo '80s (21): RAN, Fanny & Alexander, Come and See, Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbor Totoro, Das Boot, Cinema Paradiso, Jean de Florette, Akira, The Sacrifice, Au Revoir les Enfants, Castle in the Sky, A City of Sadness, Wings of Desire, Spoorloos, A Time to Live, a Time to Die, Three Crowns of the Sailor, Shoah, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, The Decalogue, and A Visitor to a Museum

MoFo '70s (17): Stalker, Aguirre the Wrath of God, Enter the Dragon, Solaris, The Mirror, Cries & Whispers, Le Cercle Rouge, The Spirit of the Beehive, Suspiria, The Conformist, Hausu, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, Autumn Sonata, Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles, The Holy Mountain, and Fantastic Planet

MoFo '60s (35): Persona, 8½, Yojimbo, Woman in the Dunes, High & Low, Le Samouraï, La Dolce Vita, Harakiri, Playtime, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Pierrot Le Fou, Last Year at Marienbad, Z, Le Trou, An Autumn Afternoon, Andrei Rublev, Army of Shadows, Breathless, Red Beard, Repulsion, Onibaba, L'avventura, Contempt, The Virgin Spring, The Battle of Algiers, Belle de Jour, Late Autumn, Through a Glass Darkly, La Jetée, Red Desert, My Night at Maud's, Viridiana, Knife in the Water, The Human Condition III: A Soldier's Prayer, and Black Sunday

MoFo '50s (29): The Seven Samurai, Rashōmon, The Seventh Seal, Ikiru, The 400 Blows, Tokyo Story, Wild Strawberries, Sansho the Bailiff, Throne of Blood, Pather Panchali, Le Strada, Ordet, The Wages of Fear, Rififi, Night & Fog, Smiles on a Summer Night, Les Diaboliques, Umberto D, Mon Oncle, Ugestu, The Hidden Fortress, A Man Escaped, Nights of Cabria, Hiroshima Mon Amour, Floating Weeds, The Music Room, Tokyo Twilight, The Human Condition I: No Greater Love, and The Cranes Are Flying

MoFo '40s (8): Bicycle Thieves, Late Spring, Day of Wrath, Children of Paradise, Drunken Angel, Stray Dog, Rome Open City, and Le Corbeau

MoFo '30s (18): M, The Grand Illusion, The Rules of the Game, Trouble in Paradise, Vampyr, The Blue Angel, The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum, Olympia, Port of Shadows, Pépé le Moko, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, Le Jour se Lève, L'Atalante, Humanity and Paper Balloons, I Was Born But..., La Bête Humaine, A Day in the Country, and Á Nous La Liberté

That is 161

But how many are off the 161 of previously shown
There'll be plenty of stats to this effect when the list is completed. Until then, if you want to finish this discussion (since you said this same thing months ago when the list was first being discussed), I'd be happy to link you to the last post on the topic where I questioned the premise and explained the many different things these are intended to accomplish and celebrate. As I recall the discussion never got much further than that, unless you count repetition of the same point (which I don't).

There'll be plenty of stats to this effect when the list is completed. Until then, if you want to finish this discussion (since you said this same thing months ago when the list was first being discussed), I'd be happy to link you to the last post on the topic where I questioned the premise and explained the many different things these are intended to accomplish and celebrate. As I recall the discussion never got much further than that, unless you count repetition of the same point (which I don't).
I tabled the discussion for months...and now you are saying I'm not allowed to talk about it because you feel like the situation has been discussed before.

I suppose the irony has been lost on you.

and now you are saying I'm not allowed to talk about it because you feel like the situation has been discussed before.
Nope, not saying that. Here, I'll highlight the relevant parts:

Generally when I want to tell someone not to talk about something, I don't specifically explain how and where they should talk about it.

I suppose the irony has been lost on you.
Actually, yes. Because even if I had said you weren't allowed to talk about it, the only irony here would be in "tabling the discussion" while the decisions were actually being made, only to raise the issue again well after they already have.

I can't wait for this countdown to start, it should be great fun I've already sent in my list a couple of days ago and geez was it hard to whittle down all my movie choices to just 25! Ouch! it hurt to cut so many
movies from my list. I thought the Western countdown was hard to make those cuts, but I really had to axe some great movies this time.

48 lists!

And another change at the top. So interesting to see how the list is shaping up. So many good films just outside the top 100 as well.
What is the record of lists?

The trick is not minding
I'm sure a good 80-85 are on there which would make sense.
I’m hoping for far less, personally. Not that there isn’t anything bad in the films already on lists, but I’m hoping to see some that don’t cross over from any previous countdowns.
I expect your prediction to be accurate, however.
I picked about 8 films that I doubt many have seen, or at least don’t appear on any previous lists here, including a few films from Chahine, out of Egypt. And one film guaranteed to be a 1 pointer.

I'm hoping to see one film from the 25th HoF make the countdown..and it hasn't been represented before on any other countdowns.
I can see Bicycle Thieves making this list.

Personally I don't care how many from previous lists appear on this one, a favourite/best film should be a favourite/best film regardless of such irrelevancies.