Do movies teach stereotypes?

Tools    

Duplicate Account (locked)
I guess what it all boils down to is the western world's affluence and life of luxury is ultimately going to be its downfall. Its led to a bunch of spineless yuppies who have nothing better to do than think up pathetic topics and even more pathetic conclusions. You want to talk "Privilege?" I'll talk "Privilege" with you, its a bunch of, (mostly, as far as I can tell) white people who have way too much time on their hands and to sit around and debate on the internet or in college forums, (earned on their parents dime), and say s**t like "How dare you assume my godd**ned gender!" and to that I say, "How dare you assume I give a s**t!?" Honestly. It wasn't even much as a century ago that the Nazi's were turning people into soap and "Privilege" and "Stereotypes" is "The Big Issue" of our day??? We should be so lucky! Anyway, I'm pretty fumed about this topic because its basically a bunch of folks arguing and debating a non-issue and making it a potential "issue" with (potential) horrendous consequences. Don't mean to turn this political, again I am not right and I'm not left, I do not like either political isle right now... but reality check people. It could be much worse.

well, everyone has a different perspective about "what's important", it's pretty lame nowadays that people get so invested in their imaginary identities, a lot of it has to do with social media and the internet, for reinforcing this idea that "you are what you appear to be to other people", whereas the things that people did used to be more important. I find this conversation to be fairly interesting even though i tend to ignore the very long back-and-forths.

And yeah, the fact that people now adays don't know how to do anything because of privilege causes people serious problems. It certainly isn't just "the white people" though, everyone has been somewhat incompetent at doing basic things...this is why nowadays i try to not spend much time on the internet, and do a lot of stuff with my hands.

I was reading about neopronouns a few weeks back. I had to catch my breath at "kittenself". That was the most ridiculous thing I had read on the internet for a couple of seconds, until I got to "vampself". I mean, at least kittens are actual creatures.

I'm not sure where we're going as a society when people feel that they have a right to be acknowledged as vampires. I will discriminate the s#it out of some vampires. I don't want them in my neighborhood. I don't want to sell them cupcakes. I don't want them drinking from the same water fountains. These Johnny Depp sonofbitc#es can go straight to hell. I am a rabid nosferatophobe, and I don't care how history will judge me.

I was reading about neopronouns a few weeks back. I had to catch my breath at "kittenself". That was the most ridiculous thing I had read on the internet for a couple of seconds, until I got to "vampself". I mean, at least kittens are actual creatures.

I'm not sure where we're going as a society when people feel that they have a right to be acknowledged as vampires. I will discriminate the s#it out of some vampires. I don't want them in my neighborhood. I don't want to sell them cupcakes. I don't want them drinking from the same water fountains. These Johnny Depp sonofbitc#es can go straight to hell. I am a rabid nosferatophobe, and I don't care how history will judge me.
I don't know if you're just joking, but please respect all pronouns and identities, even if you don't understand some of them.

I'm not going to start repecting people who think they're vampires, dude.

I'm not saying I fully understand it. However, denying neopronouns in a public way like this can cause all kinds of negative effects to people who use them (depression, self-harm, suicide, etc.). In my opinion, regardless of how much you don't understand or disagree with neopronouns, you shouldn't announce it for that reason.

Besides, if someone does identify as a vampire, it that actually hurting anyone? I also don't think that most people who use neopronouns literally identify as that thing. It's more or less something to vibe with if it makes them feel comfortable.

I don't know if you're just joking, but please respect all pronouns and identities, even if you don't understand some of them.
A lot depends on the definition of "respect." Seeing as how respect is a two-way street, the mutual respect game can only go so far before a demand for respect for "A" shades into disrespect for "B."

If one wants to be a Kitty-Vamp, great. No one really cares about your cosplay, kink, religion, or worldview. This is old-school "tolerance" (which is NOT mutual endorsement). For example, an atheist does NOT have to respect the theist qua theist. The atheist is only required to respect the theist as a fellow human being and vice versa. They don't have to respect the identity. They only have to respect the right to the identity, the right to "do their own thing." Hence comes the old saying, "I'll fight to the death for your right to say it, even if I'd rather die than hear it."

With identity politics, unfortunately, we cannot as easily sift and filter the person from the identity as the person IS the identity. Thus, the sense of respecting human-as-human is suppressed, because fundamental dignity is associated with some demographic. Consequently, we're not good at respect-as-tolerance anymore.

Respect-as-tolerance is based on the old Harm Principle (e.g., do not cause bodily harm, do not physically obstruct movement, do not coerce, do not take property, do not deny right of speech). And (again) this is a two-way street. The "freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences" crowd doesn't quite get this (e.g., attacking Kelly Donohoe for being an alleged white supremacist on Jeopardy because--intentionally or not--he used a hand signal with three fingers when he was announced as a three-time champion). "You hurt my feelings" or "You used an ambiguous sign of evil" or "You're not orthodox" is NOT a warrant to do lasting reputational harm to people playing TV game shows. Lose sight of the Harm Principle and vicious instrumentalism emerges (e.g., "there are no bad tactics, just bad targets).

We're miles past respect-as-tolerance and into the wilderness of respect-as-endorsement (but only for the "good" people, because universal endorsement would result in immediate contradictions). In our age of "microaggressions" the old balance point of the Harm Principle is lost (even words are violence) and everyone is potentially "harmed" (if we just talking about how we "feel") by how others view them. The question now is "how far are others obligated to participate in your worldview as a matter of respect?"

Myself, I am inclined to advocate for respect-as-tolerance with a few rules of thumb.
1. Mind your own business (as much as you can).
2. Do not demand people mind your own business for you (as much as you can).
3. Do not give offense lightly.
4. Do not take offense lightly.
5. Say "please" and "thank you."
Janson is clowning a bit here and deserves the reminder to be polite. If one can make the point without being impolite, one should generally take that path. That stated, how far are we going to go? For example, should we nod with approval when some equity committee decides that "Kitty-Vamp" is an underrepresented demographic for admissions?

Besides, if someone does identify as a vampire, it that actually hurting anyone?
Is there a cost to compelling anyone to say anything whether it makes sense or not? At some point, all reasonable people must answer "yes." So at minimum the argument should be about which indulgences are reasonable and why, as opposed to some blanket assertion that if something is not overtly hostile in and of itself, upstanding people have a moral obligation to validate or affirm it.

Anyway, this would've been best discussed privately. We're very far afield from film now.

Is there a cost to compelling anyone to say anything whether it makes sense or not? At some point, all reasonable people must answer "yes." So at minimum the argument should be about which indulgences are reasonable and why, as opposed to some blanket assertion that if something is not overtly hostile in and of itself, upstanding people have a moral obligation to validate or affirm it.

Anyway, this would've been best discussed privately. We're very far afield from film now.
Yeah, sorry. I'll be willing to put this discussion to rest here. Just wanted to address it.

The trick is not minding
I’m literally crying from laughing so hard over how this conversation has turned to respecting vampires.
Oh man. I....I needed this. I really did.

We're very far afield from film now.
I agree, but to make it a little more relevant to film, or entertainment media generally, I do think that a large part of the subject being discussed is directly related to an increased lack of distinction between fantasy and reality. Maybe another tangent of our post-truth times. And I also don't respect flat-earthers or the simulation or any of the other fantatically awful ideas out there.

But I wish the pseudovampires no harm. I sincerely hope they get the help they need.

Janson is clowning a bit here and deserves the reminder to be polite.
And I won't be attending your vampire wedding either.

Duplicate Account (locked)
Has this strand of discussion by any chance been inspired by the NYT article ‘A Guide to Neopronouns’?

Lol...

Anyways, this pretty much the conundrum of "dont call me she, call me they." Very far from movie discussion, but I dont mind. I personally think people should do their best to respect each others wishes, but it's not incumbent. I dont think theres obligation for me to use correct pronouns but I'll try if someone asks me.

I will discriminate the s#it out of some vampires. I don't want them in my neighborhood. I don't want to sell them cupcakes. I don't want them drinking from the same water fountains. These Johnny Depp sonofbitc#es can go straight to hell. I am a rabid nosferatophobe, and I don't care how history will judge me.

#NotAllVampires

Hey, sorry y'all if I came off as overly sensitive here earlier today. Rereading my posts here, I think I overstated my case, overreacted with a couple things I said, and could've worded myself better, so apologies for that.

Agreed. Let’s not discount their rights to personal pronouns. They have a “stake“ in this as well.
I find that pun offensive.

Now you must listen to me whine and complain.

My voice must be heard damnit.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm not sure where we're going as a society when people feel that they have a right to be acknowledged as vampires.
Now, I don't mind your opinions but please respect my homie Nic or else!

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I have soul-searched. I have realized that my senseless vampire bigotry is the result of generations of insidious sinister depictions from hateful anti-dead propaganda, perpetuating the image of these beings as adjacent to disease-carrying vermin. I wasn't born hating vampires, I learned how to hate from watching you, Hollywood, and your ceaseless insensitive stereotyping of slavic superstitions. We must have a national reckoning of our history of collective shadow-bashing, ghettoizing our crypts and cemetaries into fenced off segregation based on nothing more than irrational prejudice of pulse supremacy. We must bear witness to the inconvenient facts, like how even our most beloved Father, Abraham Lincoln, waged a cruel genocidal crusade against these misunderstood dark varmints, seemingly with a sporting relish and vigor. It's not OK now, and it wasn't OK then.

I am now learning how to listen, and to unlearn these false feral phantoms of what is an insecurity and fear of my own seductive inadequecy. I will learn how to check my vivificist privilege, and ally with my shadow brothers and sisters to better achieve sanguine equity. I am learning every day how to be just a little less uncursed.

Thank you all for your mercy.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
lol! I'm gonna go with a blatant yes on this one. The fun starts at 6:20 min...