Movie Tab II

Tools    

This is the poster for Left Behind they had in my theater.

Looks like a dog made it in ms paint.
Nicolas Cage looks like he just noticed the camera

That's a really bad picture of Nicolas Cage. I've seen that movie in stores and the way Cage looks turns me off of the movie more than anything.

Is it just me or does it look like they photoshopped Nicolas Cage's head onto some bigger man in that poster? That collar is huge.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Nicolas Cage looks like he just noticed the camera
Yeah and he's just amazed they're actually making the film - "Wait, you mean you're actually filming this?"

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

V/H/S (10 Directors, 2012)

The Out of Towners (Arthur Hiller, 1970)

Butcher Boys (Duane Graves & Justin Meeks, 2013)
-
Intruder in the Dust (Clarence Brown, 1949)

Young Claude Jarman, Jr. looks up to dignified landowner Juano Hernandez and must help find the truth for him before a lynching takes place while he’a under arrest in a Mississippi town.
Alien Nation: Millennium (Kenneth Johnson, 1996)
-
Take Care (Liz Tucillo, 2014)

The Legend of Bagger Vance (Robert Redford, 2000)
+
Fury (Fritz Lang, 1936)

Innocent stranger Spencer Tracy is arrested for kidnapping a girl on circumstantial evidence, but that’s more than enough for the town mob which sets the jail on fire and starts a series of incidents trying to get to justice.
The Ice Pirates (Stewart Raffill, 1984)

13 Fighting Men (Harry Gerstad, 1960)

The Window (Carlos Sorin, 2009)

The Ox-Bow Incident (William A. Wellman, 1943)

An illegal posse prepares to take justice in its own hands and stage a three-person hanging in what one of the prospective victims calls “this God-forsaken country.”
Monster (Patty Jenkins, 2003)
+
North to Alaska (Henry Hathaway, 1960)

Mr. Wu (William Nigh, 1927)
+
Brainstorm (Douglas Trumbull, 1983)
+

Scientist/inventor Christopher Walken tests his playback device to find that something has gone horribly wrong.
Judge Dredd (Danny Cannon, 1995)

A Lost Lady (Alfred E. Green, 1934)

Hustle (Robert Aldrich, 1975)

Pearl Harbor (Michael Bay, 2001)

Most of the movie is glorified soap opera BS, but there is a stretch in the middle which is a pretty good, albeit distorted from the facts, action sequence.

Strictly Ballroom (Baz Luhrman, 1992)
-
Austenland (Jerusha Hess, 2013)

They Came Together (David Wain, 2014)
+
Bridget Jones's Diary (Sharon Maguire, 2001)

Inherent Vice (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2014)

Head of State (Chris Rock, 2004)
+

[font=”verdana”][center]
V/H/S (10 Directors, 2012)

that movie was so bad it's not even funny only pro i can give it is Nicolas Cage was the only entertaining part of it. Cage has been picking pretty ****** films to star in lately. It's sad actually.

Majo no takkyûbin/Kiki's Delivery Service (Hayao Miyazaki, 1989)
+

Easy Rider (Dennis Hopper, 1969)
+

Mad Max: Fury Road (Rewatch) (George Miller, 2015)
+

Onibaba (Kaneto Shindô, 1964)
+

Tenkû no shiro Rapyuta/Castle In the Sky (Hayao Miyazaki, 1986)
-

Southland Tales

*in this movie everyone is always threatening to kill themselves*

I remember when I was first saw this in 2006 I thought it was amazing. What an idiot kid I was. This movie is a total ********. It starts at Chapter 4 and then gives you 5 and 6. The first 3 chapters are graphic novels. Probably the stupidest choice I've yet to see in a movie, except for the whole movie of The Box (Richard Kelly's follow up to this).

The movie quickly fills up with all sorts of characters and sub-plots, which all end up being completely pointless. There are some highlights and interesting ideas, but Tales just ends up feeling like a music video that got stretched into a movie.

The Exterminating Angel

Some fancy pants people are jerks, get stuck in a room and go crazy. A mildly entertaining gimmick flick, but I don't see much reason to ever revisit this one.

Despicable Me

Brief offbeat fun. The core story is very predictable, but then he steals the moon. In most movies the main character does not steal the whole moon, so I applaud this movie for that.

Despicable Me 2

Surprisingly different from the first. Genuinely funny and well worth your time.

The Fast and The Furious : Tokyo Drift

Almost as stupid as the original, but not nearly as entertaining.

Fast Five

I skipped one because I've pretty much lost faith in the series. This one was supposed to be actually enjoyable, but wasn't. Aside from the one cool part at the end where they drag a giant safe around the city with cars.

Blowup

Very typical 60's sex/drugs/rock'n'roll movie with a photography twist. Could have been a lot more interesting had it gone further into the mystery.

Tomorrowland

The second movie I've seen on a big IMAX screen and a great theater experience. The first half is brilliant, non-stop creativity. The second half isn't nearly as good but still enjoyable. Not sure why critics trashed this, I would put it right on par with Brad Bird's Mission Impossible which was also a really good movie.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

So far 1704 films seen this year - 873 new to me.

The Dramatics: A Comedy (Scott Rodgers, 2015)

Wife (Mikio Naruse, 1953)

Return to Nim's Island (Brendan Maher, 2013)

Loving Couples (Mai Zetterling, 1964)
+

In 1915, maid Harriet Andersson, aristocratic Gio Petré and farmer’s wife Gunnel Lindblom are all connected by having babies at the same time in Stockholm.
Quaint St. Augustine (James A. FitzPatrick, 1939)

Flying Blind (Katarzyna Klimkiewicz, 2013)
-
Idlewild (Bryan Barber, 2006)

Saratoga (Jack Conway, 1937)

A young woman (Jean Harlow) knowledgeable about horses and gambling carries on a love/hate relationship with the bookie (Clark Gable) who now owns her father’s stud farm. Harlow died while filming this from kidney disease at age 26.
Cash Stashers (David Barclay, 1953)

Henry Goes Arizona (Edwin L. Marin, 1939)
-
The Kill Hole (Mischa S. Webley, 2012)

Jay Mohr: Happy. And a Lot. (Scott L. Montoya, 2015)
+

Jay Mohr’s stand-up consists of discussing what he and his wife hate, their trip to Las Vegas while stoned on supergrass and his preoccupation with daytime TV commercials.
Bridge of Dragons (Isaac Florentine, 1999)

Blood Out (Jason Hewitt, 2011)

Tales of Manhattan (Julien Duvivier, 1943)
+
Passing Strange (Spike Lee, 2009)
-

Filmed musical stage play by Stew (who plays the singing narrator) about an L.A. youth (Daniel Breaker) finding out about life through his love of rock music and his travels in Europe.
$ellebrity (Kevin Mazur, 2012)

Gucci: The Director (Christina Voros, 2013)

The Pick-up Artist (James Toback, 1987)
+
Solitude at the End of the World (Carlos Casas & Fernando Zuber, 2006)

Tierra del Fuego, at the southernmost tip of South America, is one of the most remote and hence, loneliest, places on Earth, and the effects of three men on the environment and vice versa are explored.

The Exterminating Angel

Recent Watches:
Insidious: Chapter 2 (Wan, 2013)-

Oculus (Flanagan, 2013)-
+
[SHORT FILM] Self-Assembly-
-
[SHORT FILM] Lights Out-

The Exterminating Angel (Bunuel, 1962)-

I've been pretty conflicted on what to rate The Exterminating Angel, on one side I felt compelled to give it a "positive" rating and bump it up half a star, but then I look at other films I have given this rating and almost all of them are better. The issue I had with this film is it kind of goes in streaks, of scenes I love and scenes I find dispensable. When it began, it felt somewhat choppy- I later understood the purpose of this- but regardless that is the affect it gave, making it hard to get into. Once the story began about the group of bourgeoisie members trapped in tan upscale room, it had many funny lines and ironic scenes. But as the film went along I felt that I was trapped in the same prison the characters were in, and just like everyone in the room wanted to get away from these idiots. By the time the hallucinations began I started enjoying the comedic work again, but there was a long point in the film where I couldn't wait for it to end. While I found the comedy successful the surrealism was clear but not effective. I love surrealistic pieces like Eraserhead or Un Chien Andalou- which Bunuel himself contributed too. But all the ones I love are eerie, dark, and symbolic. The surrealism in The Exterminating Angel, silly and weird but not eerie, dark, or symbolic. Bunuel has two obsession in his films, Christianity and the bourgeoisie. While there are funny moments regarding both categories, I can't distinguish his statement on either. Was the point that the bourgeoisie were becoming the working class, they once couldn't understand? Are they now the ones that are trapped, like their inferiors were once? That's the most I understood, but even their I can't complete the puzzle.

Lights Out, pretty scary for its run time