Top 5 Westerns

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
Bumpadumpbump.

Hard to only rank five for me, so I will eschew the customs of the thread and list however many this is:

The Wind (1928)
Stagecoach (1939)
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
The Baron of Arizona (1950)
The Furies (1950)
Shane (1953)
Rio Bravo (1959)
Yojimbo (1961)
A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
For a Few Dollars More (1965)
Django (1966)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
The Great Silence (1968)
The Mercenary (1968)
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
The Wild Bunch (1969)
The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970)
High Plains Drifter (1973)
The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
The Grey Fox (1982)
Back to the Future Part III (1990)
Unforgiven (1992)
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)
No Country for Old Men (2007)
There Will Be Blood (2007)
The Good, the Bad, the Weird (2008)
True Grit (2010)
Django Unchained (2012)

JJ asked me to post my top five westerns. This is a daunting, nearly impossible task, but I will do it for love. And I'll do ten.

A lot of these I need to rewatch, so the order isn't definitive except #1 especially, and maybe the top three.

1. Once Upon a Time in the West
2. El Topo
3. Rio Bravo
4. Dead Man
5. The Wild Bunch
6. McCabe and Mrs. Miller
7. The Great Silence
8. High Plains Drifter
9. Go West
10. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

So many good movies, so little time.
Checking back on my picks from almost 12 years ago!
1. The Searchers
2. Unforgiven
3. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
4. Red River
5. High Noon

Today I'd go with
1. The Searchers
2. Unforgiven
3. Shane
4. Ride the High Country
5. Stagecoach

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

My Darling Clementine
Stagecoach
The Searchers
Rio Bravo
El Dorado

Non Ford/Hawks:

Dead Man
Once Upon a Time in the West or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Naked Spur or Winchester '73
Wichita
McCabe & Mrs Miller

and two newer ones:

Rango
The Hateful Eight

Too many great ones to limit to 5.

Master of My Domain
1. TGTBTU
2. Stagecoach
3. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
4. The Searchers
5. Winchester '73

#1) Once Upon a Time in the West

#2) Rio Bravo

#3) For a Few Dollars More

#4) Unforgiven

#5) Stagecoach

#6) The Wild Bunch

#7) The Great Silence

#8) High Plains Drifter

#9) Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid

#10) Hombre

Other favorites (in no particular order):
The Gunfighter
Johnny Guitar
Winchester '73
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
3:10 to Yuma (2007)
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Death Rides a Horse
Guns For San Sebastian
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Django

I wasn't sure if Treasure of the Sierra Madre was a western so I didn't include it. If it is, it's top 5.

I wasn't sure if Treasure of the Sierra Madre was a western so I didn't include it. If it is, it's top 5.
Yeah, I started not to include it, but I definitely consider it a western. I saw Mark call Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia an art-house western the other day. If that counts, it'd definitely be in my top ten, but I consider it primarily a crime film. There's probably several westerns I'm forgetting at the moment, especially the ones that straddle the line between what's a western and what isn't -- like No Country for Old Men, for instance.

Seb
Hi, I am new here, and I hope one of you can help me to ID a western movie I've been looking for since early days of 1993. I remember few details like: it featured a blue army and a green one (colors of uniforms). The green army (I believe to remember correct) protected a cargo train, transporting something. I also remember the army on the cargo train had machine guns. There was a mass shooting scene around the cargo train. Many soldiers died on both sides. The movie maybe featured Indians too.

Hi, I am new here, and I hope one of you can help me to ID a western movie I've been looking for since early days of 1993. I remember few details like: it featured a blue army and a green one (colors of uniforms). The green army (I believe to remember correct) protected a cargo train, transporting something. I also remember the army on the cargo train had machine guns. There was a mass shooting scene around the cargo train. Many soldiers died on both sides. The movie maybe featured Indians too.
Try posting it here - http://www.movieforums.com/community...questions.html - It sounds familiar but I can't quote think now, one of the other members might know.

Seb
I will. Thank you!

Same probably. JJ included There Will Be Blood that obviously would've made mine second behind Once..West.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
HP, this made me laugh hard-- I want this post engraved on a Titanium statue in Hollywood

Actually, I've seen lots and lots of Westerns, and Tombstone is just plain and simple a steaming piece of *****...Western or otherwise. It's an embarassingly awful hack job, the only minor highlight being Val Kilmer's anachronistic oddball performance from the planet Mars, which is totally incongruous with the hamfisted goings on and feels like it belongs in another movie.

Tombstone is a Western for folks who don't know or like Westerns. Anyone who really enjoys it (or the two Young Guns flicks or American Outlaws or Texas Rangers or Raimi's The Quick & the Dead) really shouldn't ever watch a real Western. Ever. When I see Tombstone in the Westerns section of a video store, I feel the same way I do when I see frippin' Kenny G in the Jazz section of a music store: it just plain don't belong.

Not that I have any strong feelings on the subject.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Checking back on my picks from almost 12 years ago!
1. The Searchers
2. Unforgiven
3. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
4. Red River
5. High Noon

Today I'd go with
1. The Searchers
2. Unforgiven
3. Shane
4. Ride the High Country
5. Stagecoach
If I go back 11 and a bit years I find this:

Originally Posted by A younger, hairier and thinner me
The Searchers
The Wild Bunch
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Once Upon A Time In The West
Unforgiven
The order might change a bit, but I can't see anything else sneaking in there...

...apart from maybe Tombstone.

Gee, I sure do hope 'ol Quentin Tarantino makes a western.
I hope wherever Slaytan is these days that he has thoroughly enjoyed Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	django.gif
Views:	1323
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	24253  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra