North Korean Misslie Launches

Tools    

I hope to be able to have the time to respond in depth about this topic later today/tommorow. For now though I was wondering how other MOFOs feel about this, and what kind of Global reactions will occur.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I think they're nutty... I guess I don't have a clear idea of what they hoped to get from doing this. They've put China in an awkward position, made themselves look pretty inept in the missile department (weakening their position, rather than strengthening it, in terms of bargaining power) and invited sanctions against a bunch of people who were already dirt poor.

there's a frog in my snake oil
It does look like a risky 'what about me' strategy by Jong. The consensus seems to be that N Korea actually wants to get round the table with the US and negotiate some form of 'peace assurance'. The Bush approach has mainly been to stay well away from that table tho, so you're probably right Sammy - they may have just bought themselves some financial repercussions instead. Heigh ho.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I think North Korea is only reliable regarding one thing: they're always erratic.

I don't know what the consequences will be. Perhaps China will have to go in and say "Now, look here....". China's new friendship with the western capitalist world is worth a lot to them and I think the good old communist brotherhood is more old than good nowadays for the Chinese.

It is scary though. Desperados with nukes ain't funny to me...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
...It is scary though. Desperados with nukes ain't funny to me...
As I'm writing this from under a big target (however unattainable, for now), I'm not chuckling, either.

Originally Posted by Golgot
It does look like a risky 'what about me' strategy by Jong. The consensus seems to be that N Korea actually wants to get round the table with the US and negotiate some form of 'peace assurance'. The Bush approach has mainly been to stay well away from that table tho, so you're probably right Sammy - they may have just bought themselves some financial repercussions instead. Heigh ho.
I'm amazed how little coverege this has got over here. Channel Four News sandwiched it between the sport and a light story about an engineering student stealing a train.

The way I understand it North Korea's hoping to get cut the same deal Bush did for Iran, but it hasn't worked out, but I don't know any of the exact details.

I'm finding it harder and harder to concentrate on the individual bouncing pebbles of bad news. There're so many, and they're coming so fast it's almost an apocalyptic landslide. Iran, Iraq, Korea, Sudan and the problems at home. It's enough to make a man retreat from current affairs altogether.

But hey, we're the first generation to experience total global decline in Dolby surround sounded, pin-sharp high-definition digital crikeyvision. And we can always tell the upstart kids of the future "I didn't sit through two televised wars for you to ovethrow Tina Turner's rule of Bartertown", so it's not all bad.

I'm suddenly aware of the wisdom of killing your brain with Will & Grace. I've been wrong all these years.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Lockheed Martin
I'm amazed how little coverege this has got over here. Channel Four News sandwiched it between the sport and a light story about an engineering student stealing a train...
He stole a train? Cool

---

Yeah, i actually learnt about it first via this thread, then scurried off and checked up on it. Which is so wrong.

There's always gonna be more threats to our wellbeing (and post-apocalypse dress sense) than we can ever keep up with tho. Might as well enjoy the diverse range of crap on offer while it lasts eh?

I attempted to sneak on board that space shuttle that just recently launched so that I'd be somewhere safe, but NASA spotted my pretty, purple suitcases down on the launch pad. Luckily, they didn't arrest me thanks to my sexiness.

Originally Posted by 7thson
Yeah you are the one knocking the foam off I bet.

I had a chance to field questions at the UN with a political rep. from the US, the rep. from South Korea and the rep. from the U.K last Friday.

It was Friday afternoon and the security council had a meeting that morning adressing the issue and was about to enter into another one (from what we could gather).

Somenoday asked the U.S rep: "What do you think the US should do if diplomacy fails in the current North Korea situation?"

Note: This isn't word for word, buit the gernal thing. I haven't really perfected my shorthand.

"Nobody has given up on diplomacy yet. There is an international discussion going on about the proper response to the missile launches. There is still room for diplomacy here. There is still room for negotiation. Currently there is no need for more coersive measures which of course, are not possible within the UN. Right now though, the internatyional community is working on a plan that involves mainly economic sanctions."
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

www.forumninja.com
I find this situation endlessly uplifting. And now back to the movies...