MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I didn't watch any of today's three movies because none of them sounded like movies that I would like.

However I did watch the first Friday the 13th movie, but none of the sequels.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Dog Soldiers is a lot of fun. It's one of the best werewolf flicks I've seen and made me immediately take notice of Marshall as a director. He's directed some of the best episodes of Game of Thrones too. I've yet to dislike any of his films.

The film is a perfect blend of horror, action and comedy. There is a scene when a soldier bare knuckle boxes a werewolf for crying out loud. Some of the best werewolf effects to date as well. These guys are scary and werewolves we see today look like trash compared to them. See exhibit A:

Dog Soldiers made my list at number 15. It wasn't the only Neil Marshall film I put on it either I knew this one would make the list, glad to see it but wish it were a lot higher. It deserves to be.

Never seen The Beyond and Glad to see at least one Friday film pop up, but there are for sure better ones in the series, so lets see if anymore make an appearance.

As for the Cannibal Holocaust appearance and disappearance. I appreciate the film, but can't sit back and enjoy actually animal brutality. Same goes for Cannibal Ferox. Both are interchangeable to me, but I'd give the edge to Holocaust for the Found Footage angle, which was years ahead of its time.

Ginger Snaps is a film I nominate in the horror Hall of Fame and it placed 3rd. Maybe that HoF helped it a bit here? Who knows, but it's interesting that my first two films to make the list are both werewolf movies. Here's my bit on it:

Ginger Snaps

I nominated Ginger Snaps because I think people need to see more Canadian Horror Cinema. Ginger Snaps is pure fun and it balances comedy with horror perfectly. I'd be lying if I didn't say that Mimi Rogers was my favourite performance in the film, her overbearing and innocent mother is hilarious.

Their relationship is the core aspect of the film and if you can't get behind their outsiders us against the world vibe, than the movie might not work for you. It's not necessarily a gore fest, it takes its time with things. Much like the recent fan favourite It Follows, Ginger Snaps dives into the realm of STD's. Ginger infects a boy through unprotected sex and he begins to show signs of a sexually transmitted disease. While this does take a back seat to the more prominent aspect of puberty, I'm glad it's there as a side bar for further exploration within the world.

I thought the performances were really good for a horror film about WEREWOLVES. The sisters have only each other, despite their desperate mother trying her best to connect with them on a daily basis. The make-up effects used are subtle at first and gradually we see Ginger's deterioration until a really well done transformation is showcased in the back of a van. The use of practical effects help with the realism.

A female empowered movie, Ginger Snaps has bite and I'm glad people are enjoying it.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
9. Return of the Living Dead (Did not place)
15. Dog Soldiers (placed 94th)
17. Ginger Snaps (placed 91st)
18. Do Not Expect To Place
21. Do Not Expect To Place
24. Do Not Expect To Place
25. Stir of Echoes (1-pointer)

Welcome to the human race...
The Beyond is solid - probably my favourite Fulci film, though I ultimately didn't vote for it. Wonder if anything else he's done is likely to show up on the list.

I have some extremely mixed feelings about F13 in general but I can't deny that III is in the franchise's top 5, mostly off the back of a remarkably intense third act. Wouldn't have voted for it, though.

Still have not seen Ginger Snaps.

So far, my placings:

6. The House That Jack Built (2018)
7. The Beyond (1981)

I thought Ginger Snaps is the first of mine to hit the proper list (Split Second scored 1 point and Theatre Of Blood just missed the list) but then I remember I voted for They Live!, so it's the second.

I'm a little disappointed to see it this low. I thought it'd be another 20 or so places higher unless the HoF really boosted it. Ginger Snaps made my 100, so it was a lock for this list.

I like Friday 13th 3, but there's probably four Friday films I like more. Including the one I had on my list, which may or may not appear.

I don't think I've seen The Beyond since I was a kid. Didn't care much for it back then, but would like to see it again. I think I have it somewhere.

I didn't vote for any of the 3 films revealed last, but I have seen all of them. I don't remember much about The Beyond, and I think I might have accidentally crossed it off my rewatch list when I took out From Beyond.

I'm not a fan of slasher films. I'll watch them, but they don't really do anything for me. I don't typically find them tense or even remotely unsettling, so none of the Friday the 13th films are on my list.

I wanted to rewatch Ginger Snaps for the Countdown since I haven't seen it in well over 15 years, but kept putting it off and eventually just removed it from my "to consider" list.

Seen: 8/10 (or 9/11 if we're including Cannibal Holocaust)
My List: 0

25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

Unregistered User
Last set of Ginger Snaps, The Beyond and F13 pt3 are mixed for me. The Beyond is probably my favourite of the bunch and I do like Ginger Snaps but was never voting for it. F13 I have rated a
yet remember little from it. Like others have said, I too am not a huge fan of the series.

I like Friday the 13th Part 3 but always thought it was the weakest of the first four (what I consider the "classics"). However, if it wasn't for Part 3 and that dweeb Shelly we might not have arguably the most recognizable film prop since the ruby slippers.

Never saw Ginger Snaps but have seen the Beyond. That was decent and the thing I like about Fulci is he wasn't afraid to go the extra mile to make you feel really uncomfortable.