What's so great about Blade Runner?

Tools    

It's been at least 20 years since I've seen this movie and I have personally never understood what all the fuss was about but have been considering a re-watch because there is great love for it on this site. Maybe there's something in it I'll see that I didn't 20 years ago. Time and a re-watch has changed my mind about a handful of films and there's no reason to not give Blade Runner a chance as well.
make sure to have a cup of pure lemon juice

No, I now write fictitious stories about all of us who play our own Survivor games on Movie Forums. Just like the show. We play games and try to beat everyone else, be the last one standing.

An actual game isn't happening... YET. Depends on Rauldc14. Joel is welcome to join it if there's another one.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Classic. It's astounding Rutger Hauer improwised and made the monolog up, during making the scene.
Rutger was another beauty in that movie.[/quote]

Yeah, he was discovered thanks to that movie.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Tell me when you see it, we can set up it's own thread
Will do. I read the biography years ago and love the cast. I wonder if Judy Davis has smacked anyone in the teeth yet. She's very feisty and I love her.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Will do. I read the biography years ago and love the cast. I wonder if Judy Davis has smacked anyone in the teeth yet. She's very feisty and I love her.
She's one of the best parts of the show

She's one of the best parts of the show
I have a lady crush on her. Phenomenal actress. I hope she beat the crap out of hugh whatsisface in Impromptu.

I saw Blade Runner recently and I thought simmilar for a bit of the movie but the second half was great. the way to appreciate it is to not expect a super crazy action story and just absorb the enviroment

Your opinion remaind me this film. It looks like an action movie, but the atmosphere is utterly different.

Your opinion remaind me this film. It looks like an action movie, but the atmosphere is utterly different.
interesting, is it worth a watch?

Tell me when you see it, we can set up it's own thread
Start the thread if you like, CiCi and I'll join in. I know the story so dont mind tv spoilers. I should be able to see this tonight or tomorrow.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Okay thanks for the input everyone! Well I am not sure if the final cut should have shown Sean Young being more uncomfortable with Ford shoving her against the wall, and her giving a more discomforting reaction. Because her character giving more of a reaction like that in the final cut, cuts down on their lack of chemistry even further.

I also do not understand how the final cut revealed Deckards' true nature, as someone said before. Is it because he had the unicorn dream? That doesn't really prove he is a replicant really, does it?

As for a lot of people praising the movie cause it looks good, it does look good... but usually when it comes to movies being masterpieces, people rate a movie by it's story content. I mean Batman (1989), and The Crow (1994), have great looking sets and cinematography, but they are not given near the same praise as Blade Runner. I also think that some of the movies that Blade Runner have inspired such as Minority Report and Dark City, are better. Perhaps The Fifth Element is better too.

One movie that inspired Blade Runner was Metropolis (1927), but I felt that Metropolis had a lot more story and was better in that department. So it's like Blade Runner but with more of a story and plot behind it. But why is it that Blade Runner is more well liked in comparison?

Okay thanks for the input everyone! Well I am not sure if the final cut should have shown Sean Young being more uncomfortable with Ford shoving her against the wall, and her giving a more discomforting reaction. Because her character giving more of a reaction like that in the final cut, cuts down on their lack of chemistry even further.

I also do not understand how the final cut revealed Deckards' true nature, as someone said before. Is it because he had the unicorn dream? That doesn't really prove he is a replicant really, does it?

As for a lot of people praising the movie cause it looks good, it does look good... but usually when it comes to movies being masterpieces, people rate a movie by it's story content. I mean Batman (1989), and The Crow (1994), have great looking sets and cinematography, but they are not given near the same praise as Blade Runner. I also think that some of the movies that Blade Runner have inspired such as Minority Report and Dark City, are better. Perhaps The Fifth Element is better too.

One movie that inspired Blade Runner was Metropolis (1927), but I felt that Metropolis had a lot more story and was better in that department. So it's like Blade Runner but with more of a story and plot behind it. But why is it that Blade Runner is more well liked in comparison?
Because it's better than all of those movies, that's why. The music is better, the effects are better, the acting is better, the sets are better. And....drum roll...it's authentic. It came first. I'm sure some things may have been borrowed from Metropolis, but not enough to justify it as ripping it off. I mean, ask me which version of The Thing I'll watch and I'll say the John Carpenter version. It's just better. Why do I prefer chocolate ice cream to pistachio. Well, I'll give you two reasons. After those two reasons, if you're still asking, you need to find another source of entertainment because I'm not biting.

There isn't meant to be any sort of romantic chemistry. This isn't that kind of film. Their relationship is intended to be a bit unsettling and mysteriously odd. In their head, she's a replicant and he's a human. This discomfort you mention is essential.

These aren't interesting questions. The real question one should ask is: "what does the unicorn dream mean?"
I don't want to perceive that moment in any concrete sense. It isn't interesting to me whether Deckard is a replicant or not. What's interesting to me is the possibility that he is and that he himself might suspect so. The implications of it are brilliant. It forces us to look inside and ask ourselves what truly makes us human.

As for a lot of people praising the movie cause it looks good, it does look good... but usually when it comes to movies being masterpieces, people rate a movie by it's story content. I mean Batman (1989), and The Crow (1994), have great looking sets and cinematography, but they are not given near the same praise as Blade Runner.
Those two films don't look nearly as good as Blade Runner.

I also think that some of the movies that Blade Runner have inspired such as Minority Report and Dark City, are better. Perhaps The Fifth Element is better too.
None of those films is even in the same league as Blade Runner. It's not even arguable, in my opinion. They all lack the elegance and richness. I say this as someone who thinks Minority Report and Dark City are really great films and can enjoy The Fifth Element for what it is.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Well personally I think The Crow is in the same league as Blade Runner, looks wise. Blade Runner has better sets and buildings, but the The Crow has slightly better lighting and cinematography.

Blade Runner is better than The Crow, maybe story wise for me, but I think that Dark City wins on all levels cause you got the great looking city, but with a better story, and better characters, at least for me. But I might have to watch Dark City again to make that assessment.

I'm going to re-watch Blade Runner again too, as I might feel different about it on another viewing. Which cut do you think is better, out of curiosity? The Final cut looks better, but I felt it didn't need to show the eye gouging shot, and felt that it was better to leave it up the imagination like the DC did. But out of curiosity, which cut do you think is the best?

Also the reason why I felt Blade Runner is a good but not great movie perhaps, is not because of lack of action scenes at all. I just felt that the villains were weak as characters, and felt the story lacked surprises, at least for me.

I kind of get that the chemistry between the two leads is suppose to be awkward cause she is a replicant, but I just didn't emotionally feel what they saw in each other in the first place. They seemed two different to be even interested in each other that way, I felt.

But maybe I need to watch it again, with a different mindset.

interesting, is it worth a watch?
It had been my favorite movie for a long time. I hope You would like it. It was suprising because I was prepared for actionmovie and it's turned out to be kind of drama, but very good. I'm sure You know director - Tom Tykwer. He's done "Cloud atlas" with Wachowsky brothers (sisters?).

MC for the Great Underground Circus
pray to god the sequel won't ruin the mojo Blade Runner has. Who the hell even wants a sequel?

A system of cells interlinked
Well personally I think The Crow is in the same league as Blade Runner, looks wise. Blade Runner has better sets and buildings, but the The Crow has slightly better lighting and cinematography.
Please show me some shots from The Crow that can even hold a candle to these:

I won't even post the infamous shot of Rachel smoking while she takes the Voight-Kampff test, which is one of my favorite shots in cinema, ever. Just click on my profile to see that gem! The lighting and camerawork are two of Blade Runner's strongest assets. Here, I will post a list of science fiction films that have better lighting and cinematography than Blade Runner below:

Thank you for reading the list - sorry it's so short.

I could get lost for days in Rachel's eyes, which are dark pools of mystery with tremendous hidden depths. Or how about the washes with the spotlights? Like this:

Blade Runner created, and then broke the mold on that. This has been lifted by other films countless times, by last last count!

Also, how memorable is this shot?

Iconic stuff!

I could go on for days, but since I only have a four year life span, I won't spend anymore time on it!

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to finish my chess match with Mr. Tyrell.