Mofo Bros Top 100: A Raul and Sean Production

→ in
Tools    

So fresh and imaginative. A delight to watch. Just the right length.

I think I probably give half a dozen movies the tag of undeniable masterpieces. This is one of them. I don't want to watch it every year, but it is never far from my mind.

Watched this for the second time last year. That cinematography, I mean damn. It's ridiculous. All these filmmakers know what they are doing, how can one look so much better than another.

Greatest movie about poverty ever made? Maybe so. Another great female performance in a Ray film.

I know it is some kind of blasphemy for this to be your favorite Welles...but I don't care. Even like the ending. Cotten should have been in everything.
All of those are great, with my favorites being either Days of Heaven or Pather Panchali.

Bergmans most magnificent film for me. The way he uses the camera here just seems so swift. It's his most beautiful looking film for me.
That one is terrific.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

What I believe to be a sensational performance by Russell Crowe. Also like the supporting cast with Connelly, Bettany, and Harris all bringing their A game. Love the score and the film looks great too. Howard's best.

Gorgeous cinematography, great acting and a superiorly directed film. This one has skyrocketed up. Don't even think it was on my last list, may not have seen it till after.

Love both of your last two choices. Beautiful Mind may have been n my last, I need to check. Cranes needs a couple watches to get cemented in my weak mind.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I am so glad I rewatched this last year, because if I hadn't it probably wouldn't be here. The trilogy is so great, so well done, and so engaging. Fellowship is the best of the three for me.

I watched the Lord of the Rings movies for a HoF recently, and I enjoyed them. They wouldn't make my list, but I can understand why people love them.

The greatest straight up war film for me. Touching tribute to that day in Normandy. That Normandy scene is unbelievable. Hanks kills it for me in this.

I haven't seen Saving Private Ryan since it was in the theaters, but it's high on my watchlist if we ever do a War Movies Countdown.

So fresh and imaginative. A delight to watch. Just the right length.
I watched Playtime for the Foreign Language Movies Countdown, and I enjoyed it. It didn't make my list, but it was a fun movie to watch.

I think I probably give half a dozen movies the tag of undeniable masterpieces. This is one of them. I don't want to watch it every year, but it is never far from my mind.
Schindler's List is one of the best movies that I have no desire to ever watch again. It was just too hard to watch, but I can certainly appreciate the greatness of the movie.

What I believe to be a sensational performance by Russell Crowe. Also like the supporting cast with Connelly, Bettany, and Harris all bringing their A game. Love the score and the film looks great too. Howard's best.

A Beautiful Mind wouldn't make my list, but it's a great movie.

One of the most highly engaging thrillers. It has a fantastic script and the direction is awesome by Fincher. Easily my favorite of his films. Freeman, Pitt, and Spacey all bring it, particularly Spacey in a role where he's one of the greatest villains of all time.

Se7en is on my 100 so obvioulsy I love it and am pleased to see it here. Other than that, I''m stuggling a little. I saw A Beatiful Mind once. It was OK, but not really much else on that viewing. Goldfinger is bad Bond, well not bad, just the wrong one to be enjoyable. Bond's a bit like Batman and most other superhero movies, if it's played seriously I really have trouble getting on board. I keep saying it but I really should watch The Virgin Spring just to see if I like it. I still think I will. The Hangover is noughties and comedy, so no I've not seen it and no I don't want to. Maybe one day I'll see it, laugh my ass off and wish I'd spent the last 10 years watching it... But I doubt it. I've not seen The Cranes Are Flying.

Sean had Schindler's List which is brilliant. Something I feel I should watch again as I haven't since the late 90's, I think, but it's over 3 hours and it's Schindler's List. I don't really watch films I love and enjoy any more, the thought of putting a viewinig in for this seems unlikely at best. The Magnificent Amberson's I saw once in my early 20's (or in the 1900's as my niece refers to that time) I remember liking it and wishing I could see the version I was supposed to. I'm pretty sure there's a newer version available now, is that right Sean? If so, is that the one which makes your 100? As I said in the foreign language countdown I've not seen Playtime or Pather Panchali. I saw Days Of Heaven when I was a kid and I think I tried to watch it again at some point, but don't really remember.

Se7en is on my 100 so obvioulsy I love it and am pleased to see it here. Other than that, I''m stuggling a little. I saw A Beatiful Mind once. It was OK, but not really much else on that viewing. Goldfinger is bad Bond, well not bad, just the wrong one to be enjoyable. Bond's a bit like Batman and most other superhero movies, if it's played seriously I really have trouble getting on board. I keep saying it but I really should watch The Virgin Spring just to see if I like it. I still think I will. The Hangover is noughties and comedy, so no I've not seen it and no I don't want to. Maybe one day I'll see it, laugh my ass off and wish I'd spent the last 10 years watching it... But I doubt it. I've not seen The Cranes Are Flying.

Sean had Schindler's List which is brilliant. Something I feel I should watch again as I haven't since the late 90's, I think, but it's over 3 hours and it's Schindler's List. I don't really watch films I love and enjoy any more, the thought of putting a viewinig in for this seems unlikely at best. The Magnificent Amberson's I saw once in my early 20's (or in the 1900's as my niece refers to that time) I remember liking it and wishing I could see the version I was supposed to. I'm pretty sure there's a newer version available now, is that right Sean? If so, is that the one which makes your 100? As I said in the foreign language countdown I've not seen Playtime or Pather Panchali. I saw Days Of Heaven when I was a kid and I think I tried to watch it again at some point, but don't really remember.
Re: Ambersons. not that I’m aware of. I believe I have heard the extra footage on that one is lost. I have only seen the version Criterion puts out. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

One of the most beautiful things ever put to film. Take the time and see it. It's worth your week of movie watching.

I know this isn't a lot of folks favorite Kurosawa, but it's mine by quite a stretch. Has everything epic storytelling should. Awesome characterizations, staggering battle sequences, and plenty to chew on thematically. All while being the best use of color posiibly ever.

Love Baumbach's writing, and this is the best of the bunch. So funny. Very disheartening at times. Love the Daniels and Eisenberg performances.

Classic storytelling, classic Spielberg. Love his family dynamics, and the way he punches you in the heart. This is his best in those areas. Sorry Jaws.

This is a Sean movie. All dialogue and character. Just love taking it in.

The Human Condition:
I'd like to see that sometime...you sure are well watched, I might even call you a cinephile

Ran:
Kurosawa isn't my favorite, but this looks good. That's all I got to say as I ain't seen it.

The Squid and the Whale:
That was nominated once in an HoF, I pretty much hated it, sorry!

E.T.
I'm a heartless bastard who hates E.T. Nah, I don't really hate it, it does have it's moments. But not my favorite thing.

A Streetcar Named Desire:
My kind of film too and for all the reasons that you just mentioned.

Good stuff here. Raul your turn

I also hated The Squid and the Whale. I liked E.T. a lot when I was a kid, but I didn't care for it the last time I watched it. I thought E.T. was cute back in the day. Now I think he looks like a giant turd with eyeballs.

I liked A Streetcar Named Desire, but I think a lot of that had to do with how incredibly hot Brando was in it.