These are MAN movies !!!

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
I think it's definitely worth questioning the merits of masculinity as depicted in any of these so-called "man movies" - several of the films mentioned in the OP are implicitly critiquing masculinity as a flaw in the characters and the worlds around them (Goodfellas, Godfather, Fight Club), while some of the films indulge it to the point where it becomes a fault with the film itself (300, Sin City, Taken).

"How tall is King Kong ?"
most women wouldn’t willingly watch any of them on their own in the evening
Woah. We're not working with the same statistics, there. I know that my friends tend to be, by definition, a bit odd, but still, I don't know many girls who don't love those movies.

Woah. We're not working with the same statistics, there. I know that my friends tend to be, by definition, a bit odd, but still, I don't know many girls who don't love those movies.
Well, that’s the thing about all these discussions. I do think eventually a way must emerge to measure these things accurately. But generally speaking, the people gathered here are very interested in film (duh), and probably tend to hang out with the same type of people. But from my experience with all-female schools (a 2000+ sample size) and all-female teams of professionals, women don’t tend to watch sci-fi (unless it has a heavy feminist slant like Annihilation). That is to say, far fewer women watch sci-fi than Friends, Sex and the City and the Kardashians thingy. Appreciate this is all unmeasurable, blah, blah, blah.

At this point I'd direct everyone to the many previous discussions we've had about the distinction between aggregate and individual truths, which need not be belabored again here except to say that many things are true of groups but not individuals, and hopefully most people can hold those two facts in their head simultaneously without insisting a) that aggregate truths are universal or b) that aggregate truths are invalidated by anecdotal exceptions.

I'm also not sure why asking for examples of masculine-themed movies would be taken as an invitation to critique their merits. It's not been my experience that people asking for other examples of any type of film usually receive a similar deconstruction of the genre they want examples of.

That said, it's fair to ask the OP whether they want films that might be satirizing masculinity in some way.

Good MAN Movies...John Wayne! I'm actually watching all of the Duke's filmography now. Well not right now as I'm typing, but I catch a couple of his films each week. And surprisingly I found out that he's not always the manly Duke in all of his films, he also did comedy and serious drama...Some of his films would appeal to women more so than guys who like MAN movies. But in the end John Wayne is the MAN!

whats are u guys fighting about? :/
Not sure it's a fight, but whatever it is, it's in the posts there. Mostly people dancing around culture war gender stuff.

It's nowhere near out of hand, but my moderation policy these days is to nip these things in the bud.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Lets get back on-topic in a way that Yoda can understand.

Not sure it's a fight, but whatever it is, it's in the posts there. Mostly people dancing around culture war gender stuff.

It's nowhere near out of hand, but my moderation policy these days is to nip these things in the bud.
ohhhhh okay cause i was like what going on here =/

Not that I don’t appreciate that, and it’s probably best - but why such an aversion to politics being brought up? Granted, I’m biased, because I pretty much work in the political arena.

But I would argue that politics is everywhere, and as long as no one is pushing an agenda, it’s got a natural way of weaving itself into art discussions, no? As long as no one is disrespectful to others, why not?

That’s not a suggestion on my part, the place functions perfectly as is. Wondering about your rationale.

The trick is not minding
Not that I don’t appreciate that, and it’s probably best - but why such an aversion to politics being brought up? Granted, I’m biased, because I pretty much work in the political arena.

But I would argue that politics is everywhere, and as long as no one is pushing an agenda, it’s got a natural way of weaving itself into art discussions, no? As long as no one is disrespectful to others, why not?

That’s not a suggestion on my part, the place functions perfectly as is. Wondering about your rationale.
Because arguments tended to get out of hand last year, whenever the topics became political. Inevitably, someone took things personal, and it wasn’t long before things tended to escalate where Yoda had to step in in with warnings.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
I'm also not sure why asking for examples of masculine-themed movies would be taken as an invitation to critique their merits. It's not been my experience that people asking for other examples of any type of film usually receive a similar deconstruction of the genre they want examples of.
I'm avoiding the rabbit hole of taking the subject seriously. But :

1) Many genres are deconstructed when used as a category (cinefix declared Star Wars to be the best western - drama drama), and it's often interesting to question a genre's boundaries. Any classification is arbitrary and flawed. Try asking "but is it really a rpg" in a gaming forum.

2) The very premise of this subject is gender's implicit and questionable system of value (male=strong, female=weak, male=protector, female=protected, male=courage, female=fear, male=active, female=passive, etc), an aspect that is absent in other categorizations. When Alien's Ripley is said to be more "man" than men, it means that being assertive, efficient, courageous, strong, combative, are "manly" qualifiers, as opposed to the "womanly" opposite. It's pretty obvious that we don't all operate on the same dichotomies. And that uncritically using them to sort movies can elicit, in the best case scenario (and this is), some playful satire. Especially as all these gendered traits can become flaws when pushed to an extreme, and can be easily pushed to an extreme when the stake is the affirmation of sexual identity for its own sake (which is often hilariously the case in action movies).

Thing is, there is a nest of cultural representations around that, and we live in a shifting cultural moment in that regard, with tensions, nostalgia and ridicule (for instance, I adore my good old james bond movies, but damn are they hilariously heartbreaking from a modern perspective). I think the healthiest way to deal with it is to laugh tenderly about a receding style we grew up with. It's a bit the ironic nostalgia of Starship Troopers, it's a thin line to walk, our feet don't all bite out on the same side, but if we can agree that, whether we still fully endorse them or not, these old models are fun/ny, we can all find some common ground.

Nothing amuses me more than Connery's slapping a girl's bottom to send her away because "men talk now". But it would still be a ridiculous flaw in a modern non-parody. Making of these things a value (or some biological identity) is ambivalent at best.

Anyway, that's for the explicit background. Feel free to erase if too dangerously serious.

Welcome to the human race...
I think the "no politics" thing was borne out of pragmatism on Yoda's part - he knows how vitriolic and pointless overtly (or even tangentially) political arguments can get so he just tries to cut things off before they can get anywhere near that point.

That said, it's fair to ask the OP whether they want films that might be satirizing masculinity in some way.
In fairness, it's not like OP asked for more examples anyway. He just floated the concept and other users have run with it as they have personally seen fit, whether it's sincerely providing their own examples or poking at the whole idea with humour and/or criticism. It's not like I'm inherently opposed to the idea - someone offered up Magic Mike XXL as a suggestion and I'm like "actually, that one makes sense" - but like you said, some things you just gotta nip in the bud.

Because arguments tended to get out of hand last year, whenever the topics became political. Inevitably, someone took things personal, and it wasn’t long before things tended to escalate where Yoda had to step in in with warnings.
Fair enough.

Victim of The Night
Yeah, here's a great movie from the good old days when women were women that the Gen Zs and Millennials wouldn't understand...

Where did this woman learn to bread veal?!
As a man, I can assure you that is NOT how one breads veal.

Victim of The Night
I'm avoiding the rabbit hole of taking the subject seriously. But :

1) Many genres are deconstructed when used as a category (cinefix declared Star Wars to be the best western - drama drama), and it's often interesting to question a genre's boundaries. Any classification is arbitrary and flawed. Try asking "but is it really a rpg" in a gaming forum.

2) The very premise of this subject is gender's implicit and questionable system of value (male=strong, female=weak, male=protector, female=protected, male=courage, female=fear, male=active, female=passive, etc), an aspect that is absent in other categorizations. When Alien's Ripley is said to be more "man" than men, it means that being assertive, efficient, courageous, strong, combative, are "manly" qualifiers, as opposed to the "womanly" opposite. It's pretty obvious that we don't all operate on the same dichotomies. And that uncritically using them to sort movies can elicit, in the best case scenario (and this is), some playful satire. Especially as all these gendered traits can become flaws when pushed to an extreme, and can be easily pushed to an extreme when the stake is the affirmation of sexual identity for its own sake (which is often hilariously the case in action movies).

Thing is, there is a nest of cultural representations around that, and we live in a shifting cultural moment in that regard, with tensions, nostalgia and ridicule (for instance, I adore my good old james bond movies, but damn are they hilariously heartbreaking from a modern perspective). I think the healthiest way to deal with it is to laugh tenderly about a receding style we grew up with. It's a bit the ironic nostalgia of Starship Troopers, it's a thin line to walk, our feet don't all bite out on the same side, but if we can agree that, whether we still fully endorse them or not, these old models are fun/ny, we can all find some common ground.

Nothing amuses me more than Connery's slapping a girl's bottom to send her away because "men talk now". But it would still be a ridiculous flaw in a modern non-parody. Making of these things a value (or some biological identity) is ambivalent at best.

Anyway, that's for the explicit background. Feel free to erase if too dangerously serious.
Well said.

Real men watch rom coms. Who doesn't want to watch a load of good looking women wishing they had a man?
Sounds more like fantasy movies.

Yeah, here's a great movie from the good old days when women were women that the Gen Zs and Millennials wouldn't understand...

“… when women were women”? You do know she’s a prostitute?

Yeah, there's nothing more manly than prison, where if one drops the soap in the showers it's often best to just carry on without it