Blade Runner 2049

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
WARNING: "one of you BR experts" spoilers below
I can't remember when or much of when I saw the original. I know of the famous "tears in the rain" scene. Is there some sort of reference to final scene of 2049 being in snow.

WARNING: spoilers below
I was thinking of it as a sweeter callback to Roy’s last words (sweeter callback could be a summary to the entirety of BR2049).

K becomes unique among the replicants, dying for a cause. He’s more human. Truly human, that is. He’s essentially a snowflake, but, now, also one of many other snowflakes. A drop in rain.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Finally got to see this, and it's definitely a solid sequel . (And those definitely come along infrequently).

Oh yeah and essentially:

WARNING: "Deckard Is A..." spoilers below
I'm reading it that Ford could still be human or AI. Anyone else take it that way? I'm assuming that was the intent, and if so, I thoroughly approve of the extended ambiguity

IE:

(A) He's clearly human, he's physically aged, can't win a fight with anyone, and Rachel was designed to seduce him, targeting his personal human foibles, so as to combine his human-style replicability with her own experimental version, making a new (and as it turns out 'ill' and imperfect) being. A creative being though, good at porting her emotions and memories into the digital world, a living bridge between the two.

(B) He's clearly a replicant, he can still punch like a freight train, he's just up against younger, newer models, and so gets trounced. He's happily surviving in a historically radioactive zone. He's been designed to make new replicant babies with his programmed one true love. He duly does so.
WARNING: "the meaning of life" spoilers below
Even though "Joe's" scanner read nominal radioactivity, one would think prolonged exposure would be lethal in Las Vegas.

When the badguys crash in, they are wearing masks of some sort. That made me think that Deckard, Joe and el perro are all replicants.

there's a frog in my snake oil
WARNING: "the meaning of life" spoilers below
Even though "Joe's" scanner read nominal radioactivity, one would think prolonged exposure would be lethal in Las Vegas.

When the badguys crash in, they are wearing masks of some sort. That made me think that Deckard, Joe and el perro are all replicants.
WARNING: "Wood from the trees" spoilers below
Yeah I kinda like that it's not insurmountable though. Like they kinda emphasise that the wood in the carving is from a time when no one could live there (I think), but it leaves the suggestion that it's got better since.

That dog's definitely a replicant tho

(And wait, aren't the guys sent to get them all probably replicants too? Send a rep to catch... oh it's getting too complicated )

i missed out on it in cinemas, i hope when i travel to birmingham on the 26th i would be able to see it there

This might just do nobody any good.
It’s been haunting me. I sold it short in my initial reaction. I might give it a second go-around Sunday.

I want a line-item account on how they spent the money.

Namely the cgi. Specifically that most ambitious bridge across the uncanny valley.

How does that make everyone feel about any model they ever built.

I do still think theres a difference with the original in how the environment was treated though. Kubrick comes up a lot when talking about Scott's influences back in the day but I think what stands out just as much for me is Tarkovsky, especially Stalker that would have been fresh in the mind in the early 80's. The latter scenes with Deckard and Roy bring the Zone to mind for me very strongly.

Both Stalker and the original Blade Runner for me actually have a very romantic view of their environments, the clutter and decay are often shown not only in a threatening but also a poetic fashion becoming almost organic. 2049 though to me feels more purely Kubrick like in the harsh modern minimalism of its setting.

A system of cells interlinked
I do still think theres a difference with the original in how the environment was treated though. Kubrick comes up a lot when talking about Scott's influences back in the day but I think what stands out just as much for me is Tarkovsky, especially Stalker that would have been fresh in the mind in the early 80's. The latter scenes with Deckard and Roy bring the Zone to mind for me very strongly.

Both Stalker and the original Blade Runner for me actually have a very romantic view of their environments, the clutter and decay are often shown not only in a threatening but also a poetic fashion becoming almost organic. 2049 though to me feels more purely Kubrick like in the harsh modern minimalism of its setting.

Excellent point, and one I tend to agree with. Villenueve's style has been pretty austere in the past, and I figured he would be attempting to strike a balance between his Kubrick-inspired sparseness and Scott's original gritty approach. I could have done with a touch more grit, but I found a decent compromise between the two styles. I am already chomping at the bit for the bluray release...

Excellent point, and one I tend to agree with. Villenueve's style has been pretty austere in the past, and I figured he would be attempting to strike a balance between his Kubrick-inspired sparseness and Scott's original gritty approach. I could have done with a touch more grit, but I found a decent compromise between the two styles. I am already chomping at the bit for the bluray release...
The ironic thing is I think 2049 does make more direct references in Tarkovsky in some respects, the orange haze of Vegas for example matching the orange tint of the monochrome non Zone sections(which are deliberately blander) of Stalker.

The difference for me though is that the original like Stalker has a more romantic view of its main location, the grit and decay gives it personality. 2049 though I think even when there is grit its shown in such a uniform way(the future sprall of LA, the junk heaps near the orphanage) that it becomes minimalistic with a more alienating effect. I'd want to visit LA of 2019 or the Zone, I wouldn't want to visit LA of 2049.

I hearing that the original working cut of the film was 4 hours long and was heavily edited on studio orders. That might address a lot of the issues I have with the film, maybe a longshot but perhaps a directors cut? that could potentially drive more home sales and get some more money back even if it might cost a bit more.

I was so skeptical that you could ever sequel BR, but it's a masterpiece. Bravo, another cult classic. Arrival director was perfect choice it. Uncompromising difficult to follow brainy noir detective movie. Then add an extra layer of knowledge required from the original movie, very demanding from the audience. At least arrival required no previous knowledge. This formula, just like the original, is a commercial flop. The only compromise was a trailer giveaways, but those should never be watched anyway.

The imagery was crazy good and expensive, the attential to detail and originality of the world. Every character was nailed; with ford being the weakest one.

chalk Villeneuve as an artist. I'm cautiously optimistic about his future. unfortunately, i think he burned though a lot of his good will from arrival's success to get this movie made (they lost ~80 million on this movie). He won't have that clout on his next venture, and i'm sure the execs will keep him on a tighter leash. i'm much less depressed about losing Cameron to maximizing profit, we got fury road and BR2049.

Joi was important. Just as the human saw the replicants as fake and less than; some replicants saw Joi as fake and less than e.g., hooker replicant insulting Joi as so. Hooker calling her unreal. To be human, is to be hippo critical.

IMO, deckard is 100% replicant. Scott has clarified this, it was the whole point of the first movie.

Wallace claiming deckard was programmed to love, is wallace messing with his mind. It's a huge insult at the core, denying that replicants have free will. Deckard later retorts by saying Rachael's eye were green (they were brown). "i know what is real". The last of the tryell replicants nexus 8 undeniably had free well, evidenced by much higher rebellion rates. the replicants were n6s in the first movie (some theories speculate that rachael was one of few n7s). The n8 (farmer) called the n9 (k) creepy because of how obedient they were. Deckard was an n6 replicant.

We are I think clearly in an era were at the cinema at any rate(perhaps less so for home viewing?) audiences are more obcessed than ever with hyped franchises at the cost of almost everything else. Part of that is I think as has been mentioned the dumbing down of cinema in general but also I think the shear cost of tickets means people are much less willing to take risks in their viewing.

As far as 2049 itself goes whilst I did enjoy it I must confess I do kind of find myself in the position you mention as a diehard fan of the original. I find myself in pretty strong disagreement with the idea that the sequel recaptures the success of the original especially, again its certainly not without its merits but it feels like a very different piece of cinema to me, much less arty drama and much more action thriller.

Although I would also say that the original film has always been a bit of an oddball in terms of where its fandom comes from. It has always tended to be embraced by the "sci fi geek" audience yet I very often kind of get the idea that a lot of commentary on it is rather avoidant on the film itself not really meeting expectations. In that respect I think 2049 does arguably meet these expectations more fully being as mentioned more of an action thriller with a lot of focus on hard sci fi.
it's the demo that goes got theaters that dictate what movies get made. https://imgur.com/a/i5GRB. older people stay at home. you can get a 4k tv for $600 now, so it's harder to to get people to spend $ at the theater. also more impulse control as you get older and a willingness to wait to spend $5 on a stream with cheap booze and food vs $12/person +f food at theater. movies are made for chinese consumers and young men; but the silver lining is we get great television. Kubrick movies would not be commercially successful today.

it's interesting you thought the new one is more of an action movie. i actually thought the opposite. action/minute is definitely drastically down in the 2049, i was very surprised on how little action it had for it's budget and length of movie. It's definitely one his trademarks from arrival.

I agree with you, and miss odd originality and clutteryness of the first film. I think original had a better balance of fancy rich and the having the lived in feeling. Also the cultural salad bowel of future LA. eg this clip:
. i'll have to say clutter vs minimalist athetic is a bit subjective.

i guess i feel not many people appreciate this sequel, i haven t seen it yet, but it feels like people have no interest in cult classic sci fi s these days, all people want is popcorn style dc comics superhero stuff with mighty explosions and such, i have to say i have had enough of this tbh, people should start to appreciate that sequels like this one should be movies to look forward to, just look at the box office, it made only 1.5 mil this week compared to 56 mil for thor ragnarok, man different times....... are people blinded by this superhero stuff?

it's interesting you thought the new one is more of an action movie. i actually thought the opposite. action/minute is definitely drastically down in the 2049, i was very surprised on how little action it had for it's budget and length of movie. It's definitely one his trademarks from arrival.
Its not in the constant action mold of course but compared to the original there is obviously more of it and more of a focus on the specifics of the fight scenes. In the original even nominal action in Deckards confrontations with the relicants rarely developed into any kind of extended fight, Pris's gymnastics probably being the closest but even they were brief.

Its also I think its clearly more of a thriller, greater dramatic focus is put on the unfolding of the more complex plot. In the original the details of Deckards investigation and the replicants plans are clearly secondary to the advancement of the characters.

it has much more obvious "good/bad" morals to it as well for me, I mean the hero might not be whiter than white but he's clearly better than Deckard and his killing is shown bloodlessly rather than the brutal deaths of the replicants in the original, Wallace and Luv make for pretty standard villain/henchperson, the latter having a slight bit of depth but both being obviously evil.

I mean taken by general standards I liked the film but I don't think its a classic(more than 8/10ish range), I spose partly that might be me not being as big a fan of big budget Villeneuve(not seen any earlier stuff) as many,. Arrival I did like a lot(more than 2049) but not to the degree of some of the praise, Sicario honestly I didn't think was that good and suffered from some of the same problems I have with 2049, confused plot with undercooked characters and lengthy scenes that thought they were more interesting than they actually were.

there's a frog in my snake oil
If anyone wants to really geek out on the props / physical SFX, Adam Savage seems to have done a run of behind the scenes vids pre release:

Nice nod to the emphasis on analogue amongst the digi in this prop pawing. (Kinda gels with the previous Scott emphasis on environmental details etc)...

How to make giant waves in 8 weeks...

---

Slightly off topic, but if you know someone with a VR rig, this novelty is worth checking out. Some pretty neat 'volumetric capture' used to inject actors into the 3D world, a fairly suitable mini story (if nothing stellar), and what seems to be some asset re-use from the movie. (Well the main location in Jared Leto's pad, and his static silhouette at one point...)

WARNING: "s" spoilers below
(B) He's clearly a replicant, he can still punch like a freight train, he's just up against younger, newer models, and so gets trounced. He's happily surviving in a historically radioactive zone. He's been designed to make new replicant babies with his programmed one true
love. He duly does so.
K is a new faster stronger model replicant. During the movie.

When K/Joe discovered that there was a male and female replicant with the exact same DNA, but the girl supposedly died at childbirth (we learned that the female was the memory-maker in the bubble, Deckard's daughter) But was K the boy that survived? There must've been a boy that was accounted for because he was in the system and it said that he lived. Even though that rebel leader told K that he wasn't the child, is it possible that they somehow made him with the exact same DNA as Deckard's daughter so he is, in a way, Deckard's son? I thought they were gonna come back to that part later in the movie and address it but the movie just ended rather abruptly without ever getting back to it.
replicants dont' have dna, they ahve 1s and 0s as explained. They have exact dna because ti was a false record. They needed to generate a dna record for her, so they just copied some boys who was there. The boy was human and not relevant to anything else.

Also, I believe Ana's disease was falsified to give cover; we know her back story she tells K is BS. no one culd examine her behind the bubble. the liklihood of a replicant have genetic disease seems nill to me.