Movie Tab II

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Cache
The New World
Rabid
Satan's Little Helper

42nd Street Forever Volume 1 (75% uninteresting, but the other 25% of the trailers are AWESOME)
The Monster Squad
12 Monkeys
(**** this movie kicks)
Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have The Key

I got for good luck my black tooth.
A Mighty Wind The humor was sustained very well throughout, though the actual jokes were few and far between.

Donnie Darko This didn't hold up all that well to reapeat viewings but the sentimentality factor keeps it going strong. Now if only Richard Kelly would make another damn movie.

Barton Fink The acting was great and so was the dialogue. Too bad the narrative kind of got lost along the way.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
I saw Dogville recently and thought it was pretty cool, how did you find it Caitlyn?

I thought it was pretty cool too… even though I pretty much figured out how it was going to turn out in the end…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Welcome to the human race...
Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
Are you for real?
I think it may have been because in the time between watching Taxi Driver for the first time and the last time, it lost a little something. I blame it on the fact that the cable channel it was on had edited the shootout (who would do that? WHO WOULD DO THAT?). If a great movie has some of the more controversial moments edited out for a cleaner experience on TV, I always lower my score a few points (a few months ago I rated Pink Floyd - The Wall a 3/10 for cutting out most of my favourite parts, especially The Trial)

Blame the edit-for-TV. I gotta get the DVD.

Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941)

9/10

Nothing short of classic.

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I thought it was pretty cool too… even though I pretty much figured out how it was going to turn out in the end…
dogville is one of the films i'm avoiding seeing....i absolutely hate the theatre and from the clips i saw i think this film is pretty much a play recorded on video....without the *insert english word for things on stage...can't think of it right now*

When i saw it, i had no idea that Dogville was on stage but after the initial strangeness of it went, i got really absorbed in it, there are some great performances.

A system of cells interlinked
Unbreakable (Shyamalan, 2001)

Love this film....every frame....

OG - 12 Monkeys is one of the best sci-fi films ever made, IMO.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I'm not sure the ending is supposed to be anything other than inevitable...Without spoiling it too much for anyone who hasn't seen it, I thought that the real sting in the tale was that by the end, when you watch it you are rooting for exactly that ending...but when it happens it makes you wonder whether it is any better than the way the townspeople acted towards Grace, and whether she (or we) have the right to make that kind of judgement.

The Fat of the Mailbox
Thambsucker (2005) 4/5

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by adidasss
dogville is one of the films i'm avoiding seeing....i absolutely hate the theatre and from the clips i saw i think this film is pretty much a play recorded on video....without the *insert english word for things on stage...can't think of it right now*
Theatricality?
If you don't like theater, spend those two hours of your life on something else, for sure. I have a degree in theater, but I hate theater put on film with nothing filmic to it - consequently I really disliked Dogville.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by OG-
The New World
How was it? I loved The Thin Red Line and havnt had the time to check out his other few movies. Worth numbing my bum in the cinema for?
Originally Posted by OG-
The Monster Squad
AH! I need to see this again. Most favourite movie as a kid. How does it do watching it all grown up? Worth purchasing?
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
consequently I really disliked Dogville.
Why did you dislike it Sammy? I love the whole idea of Dogville. A town with no walls, where everyone can see everything that is happening, yet they choose to do nothing.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Theatricality?
If you don't like theater, spend those two hours of your life on something else, for sure. I have a degree in theater, but I hate theater put on film with nothing filmic to it - consequently I really disliked Dogville.

That seems like such a superficial complaint. Sure it's a play and nothing more. But it's a damn good play. If you like theater, why do you object so strongly to watching it on film?

Theatricality?
no, i think it's scenography....
the reason i hate the theatre is the ever so obvious acting....i've become too acustomed to realistic acting to revert back to shaekspearian shouting....

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by blibblobblib
How was it? I loved The Thin Red Line and havnt had the time to check out his other few movies. Worth numbing my bum in the cinema for?

AH! I need to see this again. Most favourite movie as a kid. How does it do watching it all grown up? Worth purchasing?
I loved the New World. Tremendeous filmmaking. It is heart wrenching stuff. Beautiful movie.

I wrote a mini-review of Monster Squad on my site, but yah, makes ya' feel like a kid again. It is just as entertaining as it was 12 years ago. I'd buy it in a heartbeat, if it were actually available on dvd, but alas, it tis not....

Originally Posted by Thursday Next
I'm not sure the ending is supposed to be anything other than inevitable...Without spoiling it too much for anyone who hasn't seen it, I thought that the real sting in the tale was that by the end, when you watch it you are rooting for exactly that ending...but when it happens it makes you wonder whether it is any better than the way the townspeople acted towards Grace, and whether she (or we) have the right to make that kind of judgement.
It's very hard to talk about this without spoiling… but you're probably right about the ending being inevitable… although I can't really say it was the ending I was rooting for… I felt like it was a little too easy… but that's just me…

Do you know my poetry?
Bubble, A-
2006 - Steven Soderbergh

Videodrome, B
1983 - David Cronenberg

Wild Zero, C
2000 - Tetsuro Takeuchi