I'm on a Bergman binge, so let's talk about Bergman movies.

Tools    

Right now I'm almost done with Through a Glass Darkly, which didn't impress me the way I thought. Bergman's general display of atmosphere and psychoanalysis seem a bit watered down. The family drama is perfectly appropriate and well developed, however, and it helps that the actors are very good at what they do. But it's light on plot. For me, movies that are light on plot need to make up for it in events, like La Dolce Vita. So while there are things about Through a Glass Darkly that are professional, I think it only barely manages to be a completely worthwhile experience that makes the best of its abilities despite the shortcomings. It's slightly better than The Virgin Spring.

By the way, if you want to know what I expect from psychological dramas, my favorite Bergman movie is The Seventh Seal.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I've only seen The Virgin Spring and persona. Hard to say which is better cause they were both good in very different ways.

Bergman liked to recycle dozens of themes throughout his catalogue, but he always had a new way of delivering them. Wild Strawberries, for example, is more hopeful and cheerful than most of his other movies I've watched. Basically, it's difficult to get the full Bergman in a couple of movies, especially since his themes are at their strongest in different movies. The Seventh Seal talks about death more than the other movies I've watched, but has a few things to say on religion. The religious commentary is most prominent in The Virgin Spring, which is light on plot so he can improve on the effectiveness of the message.

My favorite is The Virgin Spring
Same here, that movie is a masterpiece and I think I underrated at 3.5- within a next watch I may bump it up to 4 or even 4.5.

Through a Gloass darkly is part of his religion trilogy which also includes the silence and Winters Light. Winters Light is my favorite Bergman film. The silence, from what I remember was just plain strange