Film Trash Review (Review A Day, Video Review A Week)

→ in
Tools    

Somewhere out there I'm having a good time.
Never Let Me Go - 8/10
This Film Became #93 On My All-Time List
http://www.imdb.com/list/Q9VNpfdHQYM/

A simple love story. Still films like Atonement and this one bring new elements, twists and turns to the table. Making for a more enjoyable experience as we continue to think about the human condition. There is no need for a screenplay on this one, the director of this film took it page by page through the story. Refreshing and new, this film will please all fans of the award winning novel.

The Next Film: Transformers 3 (2011)

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I am not saying that 2001 wasn't a great film for it's time but it's time is up and it's time to move on. It's the reason we still watch movies to find something new, interesting and hopefully better then the last one.

There is a reason that the oscars are held annually and only allow films from the past year to compete. The films of old have pasted and it's time for new ones. Even with All-Time lists, to keep the same film on top year after year is not only boring but narcissistic.
i don't get what "it's time is up and it's time to move on" means. are you saying you think future generations should just stop watching 2001? should people instead only focus on watching newer movies, is that what this means? should movies that are from a before certain time period no longer be allowed to stay on "best movies of all time" lists?

Again I am not saying 2001 isn't a great movie. I am just saying it has been done over and over again to the point where I am just tired of the same trend and fantasy.
then isn't that a good reason to not watch all the lame copycat versions and stick with the film that did it right to begin with?

I will admit movies get better with time. Practice makes perfect. Though with film for some reason if you don't have movies that are made in the 70's or earlier then your not credible. What the DUH!!!
no, "practice makes perfect" is not an applicable phrase when you describe movie making. films become less relevant because times change and people change. circumstances, what people care about, what people want to see and discuss turns into something else. films always reflect the time period which they were made in. this isn't the same thing as being better - just more relevant and less relevant.

but this is all subjective, anyway. a lot of people - people on this forum for example - treasure "classic" movies or find them more relevant for lots of different reasons - nostalgia, history, culture, art, perception. it's smart to view forms of art through all ages of time. it gives one a well-rounded perspective.

and besides, flashy CGI or loud explosions isn't everything.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Rubber - 8/10

An amazing sense of style and wit rubber does what nothing before it has ever done, tries to make the worst film of all-time. Along the way the film about a killer tire redefines non sense by creating one of the smartest comedies ever. The sweat and sexy DSLR camera action also helps propel this indie to the next level. WARNING: The film is not for those that can't bare it's premise.

Next Film: Never Let Me Go (2010)
I went in loving the premise and hating the film. It was utterly boring and not anywhere near as clever as it should have been.

Suspect's Reviews

i don't get what "it's time is up and it's time to move on" means. are you saying you think future generations should just stop watching 2001? should people instead only focus on watching newer movies, is that what this means? should movies that are from a before certain time period no longer be allowed to stay on "best movies of all time" lists?

then isn't that a good reason to not watch all the lame copycat versions and stick with the film that did it right to begin with?

no, "practice makes perfect" is not an applicable phrase when you describe movie making. films become less relevant because times change and people change. circumstances, what people care about, what people want to see and discuss turns into something else. films always reflect the time period which they were made in. this isn't the same thing as being better - just more relevant and less relevant.

but this is all subjective, anyway. a lot of people - people on this forum for example - treasure "classic" movies or find them more relevant for lots of different reasons - nostalgia, history, culture, art, perception. it's smart to view forms of art through all ages of time. it gives one a well-rounded perspective.

and besides, flashy CGI or loud explosions isn't everything.
I am not saying that future generations should stop watching 2001 because it is old. It is always important to know where things came from in order to create better films in the future. Your opinion is that practice doesn't make perfect with films. Basically you are saying anything that is new is taking from the old so it cannot possibly be better then the old. Films reflex the time that they were made so wouldn't that mean that films created to day are my relevant to our lifestyle of today?

BTW why, because I like new films do you consider me a michael bay fan. I hate michael.

Video Review Coming Tomorrow

‎Transformers : Dark Of The Moon - 8/10
This Film Became #100 On My All-Time List
http://www.imdb.com/list/Q9VNpfdHQYM/

A dull plot, yes but we already knew that coming in. Transformers 3 is visual eye candy that will allow all that see it to enjoy it if they want to. The first one straight up action film that I have ever truly enjoyed. Far better then Transformers 2. Still if you are looking for a story line you are going to the film for all the wrong reasons.

Next Film: Horrible Bosses (2011)

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Your opinion is that practice doesn't make perfect with films. Basically you are saying anything that is new is taking from the old so it cannot possibly be better then the old.
no, that isn't what i said at all. read it again.

Films reflex the time that they were made so wouldn't that mean that films created to day are my relevant to our lifestyle of today?
yes. that was my whole point in saying that.

i already stated why people should watch old movies and new movies, so i advise you to read my post again.

Saying that old movies are "practice" is a pretty dumb generalization. I'm not a huge fan of old films like some of my friends and family but still, my god, you can't dismiss all films as irrelevant or mere practice because of their age.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Saying that old movies are "practice" is a pretty dumb generalization. I'm not a huge fan of old films like some of my friends and family but still, my god, you can't dismiss all films as irrelevant or mere practice because of their age.
Hey, one day modern filmmakers will reach perfection with this practice and on that day the cinema will die. Then, we won't have to read reviews by people with opinions that are absurd. Oh wait, I don't have to read it anyway. Bye thread.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Hey, one day modern filmmakers will reach perfection with this practice and on that day the cinema will die. Then, we won't have to read reviews by people with opinions that are absurd. Oh wait, I don't have to read it anyway. Bye thread.
Wait, don't go! Stay here with us, forever. And ever.

And ever.

Certain things are timeless. We get better at some things, sure, but they are almost invariably technical things. We get better at special effects, or large-scale action sequences, or other things of the sort. I don't think we get better at acting or storytelling, however.

The idea of modern films getting the benefit of "practice" only applies in a few areas, and they're not the areas that can, all by themselves, make for good films. The acting in Casablanca does not help any modern director make his movie better. He will benefit from many things by being born more recently, but not the things that most determine the quality of a movie.

Take for instance, Strangers on a Train. It has one of the most intense special fx sequences put to film, the merry-go-round finale.

I am not saying they are practice at all. I am just saying that don't dismiss new films saying that they can't possibly be better because the original did it first. There will always be a new film old films that are good. My only argument is that something is NEVER good just because it's old or because it's new; because it did it first or revamped an original story. They are great because they are great interesting films. They both have there advantages, Old films have stood the test of time making them even more impressive but new films relate to the culture that we live on in a more personal manner.

It's pretty much all about what you enjoy.

Bye then.

Certain things are timeless. We get better at some things, sure, but they are almost invariably technical things. We get better at special effects, or large-scale action sequences, or other things of the sort. I don't think we get better at acting or storytelling, however.

The idea of modern films getting the benefit of "practice" only applies in a few areas, and they're not the areas that can, all by themselves, make for good films. The acting in Casablanca does not help any modern director make his movie better. He will benefit from many things by being born more recently, but not the things that most determine the quality of a movie.
AGREED!

That brings up another argument though. I have trouble re-watching older films that pride themselves on special effects and CGI I just cringe when I see it...Such as Jurassic Park. Then other films such as The Shining do it to a such a miniscule level that it's hardly ever noticed.

Films like Jurassic Park, Spiderman, X-Men, Matrix and even Avatar have a harder time down the line because the prided themselves on technology instead of using it when needed. They wanted to woo the crowd and now will suffer later. Just my opinion.

AGREED!

That brings up another argument though. I have trouble re-watching older films that pride themselves on special effects and CGI I just cringe when I see it...Such as Jurassic Park. Then other films such as The Shining do it to a such a miniscule level that it's hardly ever noticed.
I'm sorry, what? Jurassic Park has far better special effects than most films that come out today, for the sheer purpose that they used robotics instead of CGI. I can still go back and watch the original Jurassic Park today and those dinosaurs look pretty real.

I am not saying they are practice at all. I am just saying that don't dismiss new films saying that they can't possibly be better because the original did it first. There will always be a new film old films that are good. My only argument is that something is NEVER good just because it's old or because it's new; because it did it first or revamped an original story. They are great because they are great interesting films. They both have there advantages, Old films have stood the test of time making them even more impressive but new films relate to the culture that we live on in a more personal manner.

It's pretty much all about what you enjoy.
Well, that sounds more sensible, anyway.

Yeah, that's a shade more reasonable.

That said, I have a very complicated relationship with remakes. On one hand, it does feel like a film should be docked a few points for being less original, not conceiving of something itself, etc. On the other hand, it obviously doesn't matter, inherently, from an entertainment standpoint. If you see the remake first, should it really affect your enjoyment retroactively when you learn about the original? Obviously not. So it's not really clear how to account for this sort of thing.

For example, I've seen both The Departed and Infernal Affairs, and I think Marty's take on it is better in almost every way. Should it matter that he got his framework from another film? It would certainly make the script, itself, less impressive, but I don't know if I should penalize the film for it at all.