Insidious

→ in
Tools    

it was a good movie. having the feel of an old 70s and 50s film styles of look mixed in with todays feel of films. it was a really good looking film with a slow start that ends up in a nice suspenseful ride right up to the end. the editing for this film was really well done, with a story that can back it up. they did a good job keeping it feeling real, even know the paranormal investigators where a little on the the wired side in actions and personality. it has some really creepy moments that will send chills up your spine. on to of the build ups to the scary bits did not get old throw the movie because they used them right. it slowly pulls you in, but when your in; your held till the end. this movie was refreshing, it was nice to see a horror flick that was well done and different with a fresh script and takes on the paranormal. chromatography was well done with some really good shots and angles that put a nice feel to the film. i enjoyed this film, if you think its going to be a paranormal activity mixed with saw... you be disappointed.

thats a cut, wrap up the them demons.

its a must see film if you a horror fan.

never seen this movie yet...i've read good reviews about the movie and im eager to watch it now,thanks to your review..is this gonna be a horror film of the year?

The trailer I saw looked horrifying enough that I'm unsure as to whether or not I want to see it. I can easily imagine it looking silly to some, but it looks exactly like the type of horror film that "gets" me.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Yoda, I thought that too and it looks like the type of movie I would like. Trust me though, it's awful. There is no build up of tension what-so-ever; your bombarded with loud sounds, very unscary things with bad makeup jumping out at you and a ghoul who seems to have a love for the Tiptoe Through the Tulips song and looks a whole lot like darth maul. Combine all that with a ridiculous reveal and you have one bad movie. The worst thing is that it isn't even fun. It's stupid and bad.

I definitely did not think this movie was bad by any means. It was something new and different from the norm by todays horror standards but it did feel a little poltergeisty to me towards the end. all in all still a good watch.

A system of cells interlinked
For once, I agree with Ludinator 100%. It went right off the deep end in the second act, and I was pointing and laughing by the end.

that's what she said...
Watched this movie recently so I felt I should comment.
I thought, in comparison to the horror movies that have come out recently, it was very good. Sure some parts were a bit cheesy like the song they played "tip toe..." but it had me VERY creeped out afterwards. Especially when I woke up in the middle of the night and had to go to the bathroom, lol I brought my dog with me cause I was a little scared and that like, NEVER happens to me. This movie made me scared later which is why I liked it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The first 2/3's of this film is great and a nice addition to the horror genre. Then it goes in a different direction entirely. Now, while I applaud them for trying something new, it just didn't really jive and it was kinda silly by the end of it. Agree with Lud and Sedai.

Suspect's Reviews

And at the end of fear, oblivion
Close to the end of the movie, it does get a bit silly...for the lack of a better word.
Well, maybe the right word is "unusual". It was supposed to be fresh and original.
In my opinion, "Insidious" achieved that for the most part.

I really liked the ending, but the part before it was a bit slow and it looked like it would lead no where. Or at least somewhere interesting.

But overall, i really liked it and i think it's a superior class horror from most of the others that have been out there. "Insidious" has it's flaws, but in my opinion, it possesses more good than bad.

It's definitely a creepy film for the most part, but as quite a few have pointed out, gets quite silly towards the end and spoils all the tension and atmosphere that went on before.

Saw this last night and was pleasantly surprised.

Wasn't keen on the visual style (washed out colours etc) which seems to be the norm these days, but in terms of all round creepiness it definitely 'got me'. I agree the film is similar to Hooper's Poltergiest in some ways, but the final third reminded me a lot more of Jospeh Ruben's Dreamscape from 1984. It's also slightly reminiscent of Robert Mulligan's The Other (1971) which is about a young boy with astral projection abilities. I liked the final act which mantained the tension and suspense (at least for me), and thought the end twist was great - even though we predicted it was coming.

[EDIT] One thing we weren't so impressed with was the father's reluctance to rush home from work once the paranormal incidents began. No, he was too busy marking test papers, and sleeping at his desk. Not only that but there were some unforgivable continuity errors like when he's seen downstairs with his shirt open, only to rush up to the attic an re-appear with shirt buttoned up and a tie on!!! Back downstairs and his shirt is open again. Sloppy.

A system of cells interlinked
I just didn't buy the sets and art design. It looked like sets from a cheapo haunted house I went to when I was 11 years old... It wasn't lit well at all, which made the sets look fake.

It's an ok movie, a time filler or waster depending on your point of view. Poltergeist is far, far better

The Drunk and Happy
This movie was Three Beers for me.
Verdict: Insidious is PG-13.Which means if you go to any of the showings between 3PM-7PM, you’ll be surrounded by plenty of screaming teenage girls to mask your own grown man screams.

I loved insidious. One of my favorite horrors of the decade. I loved its creativity and i really enjoyed the main demon. They portrayed him and his home very very well!

What do you think about the ending? I was very shocked, but happy that it ended like that. It rreally gave the movie its own twist.

I am lazy and full of self promotion so I'm copy/pasting from my blog. Get over it!

Yes, it does rip off Poltergeist, but, despite Poltergeist being one of my all time favorite films, it didn't bother me. Also, the "twist" in the third act of the film also didn't bother me.

WARNING: "End of the film stuff!" spoilers below

I'd heard of the concept of Astral Projection so it didn't turn me off the way it may some. It's a pretty far out concept, but I think it works really well in the film. If you can suspend your disbelief to accept ghosts then the astral projection story shouldn't be that much of a stretch to accept.

Insidious was hyped during its release as being extremely scary and it certainly paid off. It made $54 million in the US and $97 million globally off of a tiny $1.5 million budget. But, is it actually scary?

I don't easily buy into the concept of ghosts, at least not in the real world sense. But I can certainly suspend my disbelief and I am a sucker for creepy movies. In fact, I get goosebumps just thinking about that creepy girl that crawls out of the TV set in The Ring. So, when I was treated to my first view of a creepy presence a mere minute into Insidious, I knew I was in for a treat.
Insidious begins like so many other scary films, a nice looking middle-class family has moved into a new home. The Lambert family, parents Josh (Patrick Wilson or Watchmen) and Renai (Rose Byrne of Sunshine and Get Him to the Greek), two sons Dalton and Foster, and baby Callie are settling in when and doing well. That is until their oldest son, Dalton, has an accident and winds up in a coma that has doctors baffled. All his tests come back showing he is healthy yet the coma persists.

Meanwhile, creepy things continue to happen and the viewer gets treated to even more frightening images. Renai is convinced that it's the house that is haunted and eventually convinces Josh that they need to move into a new home. Once there, however, the paranormal activity continues. On the advice of Josh's mother (Hershey), Renai calls in the paranormal experts. It's at this point that the story takes a turn for the weird.

I won't spoil where the film goes at this point. I will say that it's based on supernatural occurrences that I've heard of so it wasn't completely off-the-wall, however it does require the viewer to really stretch that suspension of disbelief that I talked about earlier.

Insidious is definitely creepy. It offers up some very memorable haunting moments. And it has a surprisingly coherent plot for a horror film (see tangent*). That said it is a strange film that goes from haunted house to something completely different and quite unexpected. This isn't a bad thing, but I personally had a rougher time swallowing the explanation than I did simply believing it was a haunted house.

Overall I really enjoyed Insidious. It's a scary movie that actually manages to conjure up a few scares. It's fun for fans of the genre and interesting for fans of the supernatural. Yeah, Halloween is well behind us as I write this, but if you're in the mood for a good scare Insidious is perfect for the job.

*Rant time!

There are far too many horror films made these days where the plot of the film takes a back seat to the scary moments. For example, the horror films Darkness starring Anna Paquin. The film bounces from one scary scene to another often completely neglecting to put a coherent story in between. Stringing together nonsensical scary scenes does not make for a compelling film. Mirrors and They (2002) are also like this. Avoid these films at all costs!