The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Cue a whole bunch of people leaping on to say how much they hate The Matrix; in fact since some have you have said it several times in this thread already, perhaps you don't need to.

The Matrix was my #7. At one time it was my #1 movie. It has slipped a little but not that far. I was braced for a big fall in this countdown, so I am delighted to see it in the top 25. I've watched it fairly recently after not having seen it for a couple of years and was prepared to not enjoy it as much as I did in 1999, but a couple of reservations aside, it is a stone cold classic. I watched it again more recently with my teenage son. Matrix haters will be glad to hear that he didn't like it - but then again he doesn't like many movies because they are all, quote, 'fake'. What struck me, though, was how even though I have seen it a dozen or so times (and I don't tend to rewatch movies that much), there were still new things that I appreciated that I hadn't noticed before. I like it as a sci-fi action film, I think it's clever and can be interpreted in a number of different ways. I think the effects are good and still hold up better than a lot of cgi overloaded movies from the early 2000s. I like the soundtrack. I like the way it looks, with the deliberately placed shots and reflections.

Basically, the Matrix is awesome and you are wrong.
Nope it sucked and your wrong lol

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

This feels like votes operating on an old system. When I was a teenager and went to see this in theaters with my friend I couldn't help but mark out because it seemed built for that audience. Action for kids and philosophy that exists just above a teenage mind. I don't think it's a bad movie now but I dunno.
Without singling you out or sounding like I'm directly arguing with you...this is kind of what I always say, preemptively, to people who dump on The Matrix or, say, a Christopher Nolan film: I ask them how much they're criticizing the film itself, and how much their distaste for teenage moviegoers who're blown away by it is being smuggled into their assessment, and whether they're trying to provide some kind of critical counterweight to that.

In other words, there's always going to be teenagers for whom this is their first exposure to an idea, even if that idea is old hat and has been explored before (and better). Every generation will have some mind bendy existential film that comes out and dramatizes those questions for them for the first time, and while I'm not above chuckling at sophomoric philosophy and the way every teenager (hopefully) briefly thinks they're the first group to ever properly consider a question, I hold that against them, not the movies themselves.

Looking at the previous group lists I think these nineteen are the locks for all but three of the remaining spots, by decade:

Pre-'30s: None
1930s: None
1940s: Casablanca
1950s: 12 Angry Men
1960s: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove, and Lawrence of Arabia
1970s: The Godfather, Jaws, Taxi Driver, Chinatown, Alien, and Apocalypse Now
1980s: The Shining, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Blade Runner
1990s: The Shawshank Redemption, GoodFellas, Pulp Fiction, and The Big Lebowski
2000s: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2010s: None

If those hold that leaves only three spots to be filled by the likes of Vertigo, The Dark Knight, Citizen Kane, Fargo, Up, WALL·E, The Departed or another title entirely that nobody is really tracking and may come as a big surprise like Parasite or The Thing.

If my "locks" hold these are some of the top ten finishers from the previous lists that will not make the cut. From the Millennium List Lost in Translation, Inglourious Basterds, Amélie and possibly The Dark Knight which I have as being on the bubble. From the '90s List L.A. Confidential and if it does not show Reservoir Dogs would be the only two of the top twelve to miss here. For the '80s if all three above "locks" make it that means only Blue Velvet and Full Metal Jacket miss from the top eleven. From the '70s if all six above make it that means the top twelve from that list place here. For the '60s, if those three above all make the cut that leaves out only The Graduate and Midnight Cowboy from that top ten. For the '50s if 12 Angry Men is not joined by Vertigo, which I have on the bubble, that would be four from that top ten that are iced: Vertigo, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Paths of Glory, and Rashōmon. From the 1940s Casablanca has to be there but I am not super confident about Citizen Kane at this point. Like Vertigo it is one of those titles that has topped prestigious lists for decades, but they may be falling out of favor over time and here at MoFo. If Kane does make the cut that still leaves six of that MoFo top ten off of this list: The Maltese Falcon, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Double Indemnity, Rope, Bicycle Thieves, and Rebecca. From the '30s and earlier the only titles to make this list will be Metropolis, Gone with the Wind, and The Wizard of Oz. I don't forsee any of their contemporaries from that era, like M, City Lights, It Happened One Night, The General, Sunrise, The Gold Rush or anything else popping up now.

Assuming Parasite isn't a surprise high placement in the remaining twenty-two that leaves The Tree of Life (2011) Her (2013) as the newest entry and Metropolis (1927) surely as the oldest.

From the previous MoFo genre countdowns the top five Westerns all made it, assuming The Shining and Alien show that will be five of the top six from the Horror list (with Carpenter's The Thing being the only miss, if it does not show), and from the Sci-Fi list if 2001 and Alien make it that would be the entire top twelve represented here...again minus The Thing if it is shut out. Which is why I think The Thing still has a shot of being one of those three films not included in my "locks". The only two animated films on the list thus far are Toy Story and Spirited Away, which finished #1 and #3 on the animated countdown. Up was #2 and WALL·E #4. If The Dark Knight does not show that is zero from the Comic Book list. Sadly but not terribly surprisingly zero documentaries and zero films directed by women will make the countdown (unless you retroactively include The Warchowskis who identified as males when they made The Matrix).

But maybe I'm full of ka-ka? We will know soon enough.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Matrix is incredibly overrated. I have no idea how it can be in a top 100 films ever made list, but there you go. It's well made, but come on.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is a great Western but not near my list.

Same here.

EDIT: For full ranking
  1. Fargo
  2. The Big Lebowski
  3. No Country for Old Men
  4. Blood Simple
  5. Raising Arizona
  6. A Serious Man
  7. The Man Who Wasn't There
  8. Burn After Reading
  9. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
  10. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
  11. True Grit
  12. Intolerable Cruelty

I remember liking, but being a bit lukewarm towards Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink, but it's been more than 20 years I think, so I can't rank them properly. Been meaning to rewatch both.
Here's mine:

1) Miller's Crossing
2) The Big Lebowski
3) Raising Arizona
4) Fargo
5) Barton Fink
6) Blood Simple
7) A Serious Man
8) The Man Who Wasn't There
9) No Country for Old Men
10) The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
11) The Hudsucker Proxy
12) Inside Llewyn Davis
13) O Brother, Where Art Thou?
14) Burn After Reading
15) Hail, Caeser!
16) True Grit
17) Intolerable Cruelty
18) The Ladykillers

[Edit: added to the ranking Coen thread, thanks for calling it out Holden Pike]

The Matrix is a lot of fun and I always enjoy it. I even liked Reloaded - Don't @ me! Of course Revolutions was poo on a platter. That said, the idea that this is a top 25 film does seem crazy to me, but what do I know? Persona and Ikiru were in my top 5.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is a great film. I have no problem with it being on this list though it seems a little high. Wasn't in my top 25 (or top 100 if I made one).

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I know I'm in the minority, but I really don't like The Matrix.
Apparently not much of a minority on here

Luckily enough of us like it to get it on the list.

Without singling you out or sounding like I'm directly arguing with you...this is kind of what I always say, preemptively, to people who dump on The Matrix or, say, a Christopher Nolan film: I ask them how much they're criticizing the film itself, and how much their distaste for teenage moviegoers who're blown away by it is being smuggled into their assessment, and whether they're trying to provide some kind of critical counterweight to that.

In other words, there's always going to be teenagers for whom this is their first exposure to an idea, even if that idea is old hat and has been explored before (and better). Every generation will have some mind bendy existential film that comes out and dramatizes those questions for them for the first time, and while I'm not above chuckling at sophomoric philosophy and the way every teenager (hopefully) briefly thinks they're the first group to ever properly consider a question, I hold that against them, not the movies themselves.
I've never understood people who profess their dislike for a film based on who else they think likes the film. I've seen it a lot before with Fight Club - people think other people like the film for the wrong reasons, therefore they don't like it. I'm never quite sure what it is supposed to prove. Your response or relationship to a film should be your own.

In terms of The Matrix, I disagree entirely that it is for teenagers. Was I blown away by it as a teenager? Yes. But I'm 39 now and still like it. And so does my dad who is 66 (although not, as previously discussed my son who is a teenager). I don't think it's some entry level introduction to philosophical ideas, I think it plays with a lot of those ideas as part of a fun action movie.

I know The Matrix has been parodied to death and the sequels are miserable but that first movie is still pretty good. Not top 25 maybe but still pretty good. I also have 0 interest in the upcoming fourth film.

I liked Good Bad and Ugly but I think I prefer For a Few Dollars More.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't know if I like The Matrix as much as other Wachowskis but it certainly is significant and entertaining in its own bizarre way. It's been said before, but The Matrix turns all of humanity into the Eveready Energizer Bunny. (You can even see it reflected in Morpheus' glasses. Or not.) It's still a cool flick with cool concepts, action and F/X. It shouldn't be judged by its sequels.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is my fave of the trilogy. - a true epic full of action, comedy, mystery and suspense, if a tad overlong. For a composer of so many fantastic scores, Morricone's may be his most iconic.

In terms of The Matrix, I disagree entirely that it is for teenagers. Was I blown away by it as a teenager? Yes. But I'm 39 now and still like it. And so does my dad who is 66 (although not, as previously discussed my son who is a teenager). I don't think it's some entry level introduction to philosophical ideas, I think it plays with a lot of those ideas as part of a fun action movie.
Yeah, forget the ideas for a second, it's about the way it illustrates those ideas, and yes, the groundbreaking effects (which still hold up quite well) and the show stopping action sequences (which 100% do).

It didn't make my list, and wasn't even really considered for it, but it's a classic action film.

I think the only ka-ka there is that there is any doubt Citizen Kane and Vertigo will be on this list.
That may be, though I wouldn't put money on them both showing anymore, in which case only one of these is making it: The Dark Knight, Fargo, Up, WALL·E, The Departed, The Thing or some other title entirely.

Whatever these two or three unknowns are, they should pop in the next day or three. Once we get to the top eighteen or so, it's just a matter of order.

But again, we shall see. There may well be a big blind spot none of us are accounting for. Definitely more difficult to figure when everything ever made is eligible.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
[center]I don't know if I like The Matrix as much as other Wachowskis but it certainly is significant and entertaining in its own bizarre way.
It wasn't the only Wachowski film on my list...

It wasn't the only Wachowski film on my list...
Bound for the win!

24. The Matrix

quite a surprise for me as I thought if it did not pop far earlier than it didn't make it.
still, shamelessly :3 i still have a good time with it as a trilogy..
except for this stupid, cringe inducing scene

23. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

obviously, dis gonna shows up sooner or later

---
my ballot so far
2 Stalker 1979
11 The Good, the Bad and the*Ugly 1967
17 Ikiru 1952

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Looking at the previous group lists I think these nineteen are the locks for all but three of the remaining spots, by decade:

Pre-30s:None
1930s: None
1940s: Casablanca
1950s: 12 Angry Men
1960s: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove, and Lawrence of Arabia
1970s: The Godfather, Jaws, Taxi Driver, Chinatown, Alien, and Apocalypse Now
1980s: The Shining, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Blade Runner
1990s: The Shawshank Redemption, GoodFellas, Pulp Fiction, and The Big Lebowski
2000s: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2010s: None

I'm going to say that Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia and Apocalypse Now might not quite be locks but agree with the others.

Might as well copy and paste what I wrote on The Matrix earlier in this thread:

One of the issues I initially had with The Matrix was that its "chosen one" themes were too obvious, but strangely enough, after taking a philosophy class this semester, this got me to appreciate the film more and understand more of what the Wachowski's were going for with the film (I don't think their intentions boiled down to just some "chosen one" themes). I still think the bullet time effects haven't aged well and that the romance between Neo and Trinity was far too underdeveloped for the final act's resolution to work, but I've grown to appreciate The Matrix more over time.

So yeah, still not a fan, but I have a lot of respect for the film.

As for The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, on the other hand, that film was #8 on my ballot. It's my favorite Western of all time. There's a lot to love about it, like the fantastic score, the conflict between Blondie and Tuco, or Leone's (as usual) fantastic direction, but my favorite thing about the film is that it feels simultaneously epic, yet intimate at the same time. When I rewatched it several months ago, I noticed how, besides the three main characters, barely anyone else gets much screen time in the film. Angel Eyes' henchman in the Confederate Army gets a decent amount of screentime, sure. However, the Union general from the bridge sequence, Tuco's brother, Bill Carson, and Bill Carson's wife only get a couple scenes at the most. Hell, even Angel Eyes gets significantly less screentime than Blondie and Tuco, in fact. In spite of this, however, the film also feels quite expansive given how it's an incredibly vivid depiction of the Civil War, thoroughly showing the philosophies and flaws of both sides of the war. I like the other two films in the franchise to differing degrees (I gave A Fistful of Dollars a 9/10), but the other two haven't been able to match this film in quality, in my opinion. One could argue that the bridge sequence acts as a dent to the pacing, but I say that sequence is crucial to this feel. While we got to see the flaws of the Confederate Army before this sequence, it isn't until this segment where we learn that various flaws extend to both sides of the war. This makes that segment a powerful rumination on the futility of war and adds to the film's epic scope. Overall, I think the bridge sequence was more than necessary and is the only true culmination to the Civil War backdrop the film could've had. Anyways, great to see it on here!

My updated ballot:

1. Stalker (#25)
4. The Tree of Life (#62)
6. Persona (#45)
8. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (#23)
10. Come and See (#54)
12. Andrei Rublev (#67)
18. A Clockwork Orange (#32)