The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I also think it's safe to say that The Dark Knight lost its chance as well.
Given the amount of praise that film gets, I certainly wouldn't toot that horn just yet.

Is it time to start predcting what's topping the list?
I feel like that's been a foregone conclusion since the start, hasn't it? It's like watching Lewis Hamilton in F1 or Nadal at the French Open, you know damn well who's gonna win, the fun comes in watching the battle unfold behind them.

Yeah, I really wanna amplify this point. I said something similar earlier and I really think this is the thing, right here: how many bad imitators we've had since. On one hand it can make the LOTR films feels less important, but to my mind it just makes them more impressive, seeing so many others attempt to evoke the same kind of feeling or sense of scope without the tremendous foundational work Jackson and Company did, and failing at it so badly.
Yeah, and also the fact that two (or three?) of the films made it into the list is a testament to how great the *whole* trilogy is. I mean, that's 16 lists and 293 points in total so far. The fact that enough people have voted for two of them means that there's quality in them all and each of them resonate with different people on different levels.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Now I'm slightly disappointed it wasn't Shaun of the Dead. I'm still holding out for Inception though.

ROTK is easily the weakest of the LOTR films. I thought it was dull when I saw it in the cinema. I rewatched it not that long ago and had the feeling of 'oh hey, it's better than I remember' and then I got to the part where all the hobbits jump on the bed and it's about half an hour of cringey ending scenes, most of which would just about been ok on their own, but there's about six different endings. And none of them were the scouring of the Shire!

Psycho is good. Another film I liked when I watched it and haven't got around to again since.

Directors with Multiple Entries...

Three Films:
  1. Alfred Hitchcock - Psycho (#27), Rear Window (#40), North by Northwest (#57)
  2. Steven Spielberg - Schindler's List (#41), Saving Private Ryan (#83), E.T. (#89)
  3. James Cameron - Aliens (#37), The Terminator (#56), Terminator 2 (#71)

Two Films:
  1. Peter Jackson - The Return of the King (#28), The Two Towers (#42)
  2. David Fincher - Seven (#29), Fight Club (#52)
  3. Milos Forman - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (#33), Amadeus (#50)
  4. Robert Zemeckis - Back to the Future (#34), Forrest Gump (#65)
  5. Victor Fleming - The Wizard of Oz (#36), Gone with the Wind (#55)
  6. Billy Wilder - Sunset Boulevard (#53), The Apartment (#84)
  7. Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood (#60), Magnolia (#74)

Ok, so...

Spielberg will get to 5, with Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jaws
Hitchcock will get to 5, with Vertigo
Coppola will probably get to 3, with Godfather Part II and Apocalypse Now
The Coens will get to 3, with Fargo and The Big Lebowski
Scorsese will get to 3, with Goodfellas and Taxi Driver
Fincher *might* get to 3 with The Social Network, but I doubt it
Polanski will get to 2, with Chinatown
Leone might get to 2, with The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Kurosawa might get to 2, with Seven Samurai
Carpenter might get to 2, with The Thing
Kubrick only has 1 so far, but like we said before, he'll surely get to 3, with The Shining and 2001, and maybe 4 (Dr. Strangelove?)

Who else will repeat?

Surprisingly, no Tarantino and no Nolan yet. I predict Pulp Fiction will make it, but I'm having doubts about Nolan now.

I feel like that's been a foregone conclusion since the start, hasn't it? It's like watching Lewis Hamilton in F1 or Nadal at the French Open, you know damn well who's gonna win, the fun comes in watching the battle unfold behind them.
Godfather?

Given the amount of praise that film gets, I certainly wouldn't toot that horn just yet.
In my experiences, I think a decent amount of people left the film behind as opposed to it growing in popularity over the years. I remember it making a couple GOAT lists in the late 2000's/early 2010's, but it's harder to find it in them nowadays. I was expecting for it to make it lower on this list than it did last time, but it didn't, so I still think it won't make this list.

So how many MCU movies are making this list?
I have a lingering fear that moviefan1988 will be proven right and the entire Top 20 will be nothing but transformers and pajama gods.

Psycho was on my list. Its influence is so deep it's basically osmotic. It made people afraid to bathe. Can't sniff at that.

Tomorrow's hint:

The drop of a bomb follows
The shot of a gun
Like the lighted match mimics
The rise of the sun

Sometimes the protector
Can't stand up and shout
As they see people through
Or keep people out

Talking of The Dark Knight...
I just looked back over the stats on the Comic List from 2014.

This was the top 4 places on the list:

4th Place: The Avengers (Avengers Assemble)
Points - 441
Voters - 27/35
Top 10 - 17/27
#1 (25 points) - 3/27

3rd Place: Sin City
Points - 483
Voters - 30/35
Top 10 - 17/30
#1 (25 points) - 3/30

2nd Place: Batman Begins
Points - 487
Voters - 30/35
Top 10 - 17/30
#1 (25 points) - 1/30

1st Place: The Dark Knight
Points - 626
Voters - 32/35
Top 10 - 23/32
#1 (25 points) - 11/32

That's not just a winning movie and a massive jump in points from 2nd to 1st... but 32 out of 35 voters had it on their lists, and almost 1/3 of those who voted for it has it as their #1.

Tomrorow's hint:

The shot of a gun
The rise of the sun

Sometimes the protector
Can't stand up and shout
Or keep people out

Dr. Strangelove and Chinatown

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Tomrorow's hint:

The shot of a gun
The rise of the sun

Sometimes the protector
Can't stand up and shout
Or keep people out
Panicking about giving away the Dark Knight while it's being discussed hence the late clue

Just a reminder, there is no "first clue" or "second clue." I think on just one occasion have the clues had their own groups/stanzas/whatever. In every other case they're interwoven, not just from line to line, but sometimes within a line, since in many cases a word points to both.