Re93animator's Music Thread

Tools    

I'm really digging these. Blackwood's Crest sounds like it belongs on a Pink Floyd album. Lovely. They're all great, but Slug is going to be on the heaviest rotation for a while.

Oh and punk? Forget 17-year-olds, my much older self would like that very much, please.
Thank you! I was thinking more Morricone when I made it, but the Mellotron choir was a staple of 70s prog rock. King Crimson, The Doors, Beatles, etc.

@re93animator You should put these out on digital stores. I‘m real selective with what I buy but I would totally buy all of these.
Thank you! I haven't really delved into the paid streaming world yet. These tracks still have a ways to go, but they'll be on bandcamp and youtube when I finish (presumably in a couple of decades).

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Just got notice for another competition. I don't know if you'd be interested, but Tricky just released the music for his latest single for fans to write and record their own lyrics over: https://www.trickysite.com/in-the-doorway-competition/

The commercial release of the song is on the page, as well as the download to the instrumental.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

You ready? You look ready.
Just got notice for another competition. I don't know if you'd be interested, but Tricky just released the music for his latest single for fans to write and record their own lyrics over: https://www.trickysite.com/in-the-doorway-competition/

The commercial release of the song is on the page, as well as the download to the instrumental.
Oh, I am all over this if I can get that song I wrote the other night to fit. Should make it way easier to just come up with a new melody.

lol. I didn't @john McLane McLane because I knew he'd pop in and see it anyway. If either of you can think of anyone that would be interested, please throw their name in!

lol. I didn't @john McLane McLane because I knew he'd pop in and see it anyway. If either of you can think of anyone that would be interested, please throw their name in!
So here’s an interesting question: How would one go about writing a new melody when they only provided a .mp3?

I’m assuming it would just end up being another melody on top of what was already provided.

I’m going to try my hand at chopping this beat this weekend with the MK3. Never done it before so this seems like a great time to try it.

Well, the melody is what the vocals are doing in the commercial release version. She's singing lyrics to her melody. Of course this is Tricky so normal song structure and chord progressions don't really exist there IMO. The vocals are gone so the only thing left that MIGHT be melodic is that one-note piano bit that comes up, but that's not constant throughout and I consider that more texture anyway.

Other than that, you got a drum beat. Maybe a suggestion of a chord progression but its pretty minimal stuff. Tricky raps a lot. Slow and trance like monotones while female vocalists sing around that usually.

I also do not read this as a remix request so no need for the individual channels here. It's like a band recorded a song but need the lead singer now to come up with the words and how to sing them over their music background. Or rap them. Or whisper them. Or whatever. I'm sure remixing and sampling are going to be part of a lot of submissions though, given the genre so don't be shy there either.

@ynwtf OK, I kinda figured that was the case. Doesn’t hurt to ask tho.

Aqnd aye, I’m starting this weekend.
All that said, go crazy as far as you can. Remember, that 8-bit song won the other contest I posted. So there's that half of that coin. I mean, this is Tricky.

All that said, go crazy as far as you can. Remember, that 8-bit song won the other contest I posted. So there's that half of that coin. I mean, this is Tricky.
Oh, I’m putting all my focus on making something with this that’ll pop. And already having the lyrics written is a big help. this is awesome! Thanks for sharing

I'm not much of a lyricist, and the only mic I have makes my voice sound like a kazoo, but I did start remixing this for fun. I have now bastardized this poor song beyond belief, but I'll still probably post it when I'm done.

In the meantime, I've rescored a youtube trailer for The Thief of Bagdad. One of my favorite movies. An epic ostentatious Westernized caricature of Middle Eastern fantasy.

Here's my remix of I'm in the Doorway. Thank you for turning me onto this competition @ynwtf. I may have gotten carried away a bit. Apologies in advance to anyone who listens.

Here are a couple of recent experimental ditties. I think I fixed it on most systems, but if the pads in the 2nd half of the latter track are wavering in and out of audio range, it's messing up.

Any constructive criticism?

I don't know about these pads or constructive criticism, but you should be made aware of the outcome of these experiments. The standout of the day is track 2. You've achieved another scientific breakthrough here. This one likes to crawl into your head and play tickle monster with your brain until you're transported into a vortex of intricate images and emotions. I'll call this one Frank. Well done, Dr. Melodenstein

P.S. what sample did you use for the "voice"?

P.P.S. took me ages to write this since my laptop keeps freezing. Just saying.

I don't know about these pads or constructive criticism, but you should be made aware of the outcome of these experiments. The standout of the day is track 2. You've achieved another scientific breakthrough here. This one likes to crawl into your head and play tickle monster with your brain until you're transported into a vortex of intricate images and emotions. I'll call this one Frank. Well done, Dr. Melodenstein

P.S. what sample did you use for the "voice"?

P.P.S. took me ages to write this since my laptop keeps freezing. Just saying.
Thank you!

The voice sample is just a heavily altered noise from the Arturia Pigments library. Nothing special. I've been moving away from movie samples because of copyright liability.

Your writing still shines on a freezing laptop. I hope that screenplay is coming along.

Thank you!

The voice sample is just a heavily altered noise from the Arturia Pigments library. Nothing special. I've been moving away from movie samples because of copyright liability.

Your writing still shines on a freezing laptop. I hope that screenplay is coming along.
Ah, well, I like it a lot.

Screenplay. Yeah, about that. Thing is, I'm a doofus. Creativity just isn't my strong suit and I really need to come to terms with that. I don't know how writers do it. I have an idea and think, yeah I can work with this. Then more pop up and I'm all "Oh, this has to be in it" and somewhere it turned into a convoluted mess and I just end up hating myself and tossing the whole thing. Though, weeks have passed and I'm starting to have that creative itch again. What can I say, a doofus never learns.

Ah, well, I like it a lot.

Screenplay. Yeah, about that. Thing is, I'm a doofus. Creativity just isn't my strong suit and I really need to come to terms with that. I don't know how writers do it. I have an idea and think, yeah I can work with this. Then more pop up and I'm all "Oh, this has to be in it" and somewhere it turned into a convoluted mess and I just end up hating myself and tossing the whole thing. Though, weeks have passed and I'm starting to have that creative itch again. What can I say, a doofus never learns.
It may be healthy to scratch that creative itch, whether it's shared in the end or not. The idea cramming process you describe sounds similar to what I do with music, and I end up tossing or burying well over 50% of what I make. If you want some uneducated feedback on stuff you're not too keen on, I'd be happy to oblige.

It may be healthy to scratch that creative itch, whether it's shared in the end or not. The idea cramming process you describe sounds similar to what I do with music, and I end up tossing or burying well over 50% of what I make. If you want some uneducated feedback on stuff you're not too keen on, I'd be happy to oblige.

I'll keep that in mind. But I expect brutal honesty here, don't hold anything back or sugar coat anything. If it's garbage I expect you to tell me. Use that exact word. I'll allow synonyms.