Stupid Quotes

Tools    

BANNED
More from the same website:

"People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history."
- Dan Quayle, former U.S. Vice President

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a *part* of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a *part* of Europe."

"Hawaii is a unique state. It is a small state. It is a state that is by itself. It is a --it is different from the other 49 states. Well, all states are different, but it's got a particularly unique situation."

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."
- Dan Quayle, former U.S. Vice-President

"If you give a person a fish, they'll fish for a day. But if you train a person to fish, they'll fish for a lifetime."

"Illegitimacy is something we should talk about in terms of not having it."

"It is wonderful to be here in the great state of Chicago"

"It's time for the human race to enter the solar system!"
- Dan Quayle, former U.S. Vice President on the concept of a manned mission to Mars

"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."

"It isn't pollution that is hurting the environment, it's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

"We are not ready for an unforeseen event that may or may not occur."

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."

"It isn't pollution that is hurting the environment, it's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

"I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix."

They seem to have more stupid quotes from Quayle than anyone else! I wonder why!

BANNED
"SUPREME COURT REULES THAT MURDERERS SHALL NOT BE ELECTROCUTED
TWICE FOR THE SAME CRIME."
- Cleveland Daily News, Headline

"Lack of brains hinders research."
- Columbus Dispatch, Headline

"Chemistry is a class you take in high school or college, where you figure out two plus two is 10, or something."
- Dennis Rodman, NBA Basketball player, on Chicago Bull's team chemistry being overrated

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."
- Dizzy Dean explaining how he felt after being hit on the head by a ball in the 1934 World Series.

"We are trying to change the 1974 Constitution, whenever that was passed."
- Donald Kennard, Louisiana state representative

"I wish men had boobs because I like the feel of them. It's so funny - when I record I sing with a hand over each of them, maybe it's a comfort thing."
- Emma Bunton, Baby Spice of the pop band Spice Girls

"Our strength is that we don't have any weaknesses. Our weakness is that we don't have any real strengths."
- Frank Broyles, College football coach

"Boxing’s all about getting the job done as quickly as possible, whether it takes 10 or 15 or 20 rounds."
- Frank Bruno, Boxer

"The streets are safe in Philadelphia. It's only the people who make them unsafe."
- Frank Rizzo, ex-police chief and mayor of Philadelphia.

"How can a guy this politically immature seriously expect to be president?"
- Franklin D. Roosevelt, Jr., assessing John F. Kennedy's chances in the 1960 U.S. election

"I have opinions of my own --strong opinions-- but I don't always agree with them."
- George Bush, former U.S. President

"It is white."
- George W. Bush, when asked what the White house was like by a student in East London

"For most people, death comes at the end of their lives."
- GLR broadcaster, UK

"I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father."
- Greg Norman, Golfer

My life isn't written very well.
Great stuff you guys! I guess no president (or vice-president) is beyond saying something reallystupid!

And Cait', that Farrakahn quote is more than just stupid, it's disturbing.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

BANNED
This one's my favorite:

"Inbreeding is how we get championship horses."
- Carl Gunter, Louisiana state representative, explaining why he was fighting a proposed antiabortion bill that allowed abortion in cases of incest.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I'm not sure about the accuracy about these ones since I've had them told to me in swedish.

"I have realized that almost 100% of our import comes from abroad."

"The problem with the frenchmen is that they don't have a word for 'entrepreneur'."

George W Bush

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I'm not sure about the accuracy about these ones since I've had them told to me in swedish.

"I have realized that almost 100% of our import comes from abroad."

"The problem with the frenchmen is that they don't have a word for 'entrepreneur'."

George W Bush
Yeaaah, that second one's a classic (it's pretty much like that). I LOVE that one

The first one has been attributed to both Quayle and Bush, which is annoying - considering how many genuine feck-ups both of them have made

Originally Posted by Golgot
...feck-ups...
Love that substitution word Gg, may I use it too?

example: He's a fecking feck!

Originally Posted by r3port3r66
Love that substitution word Gg, may I use it too?

example: He's a fecking feck!
well, tis an irish word, so might have to kiss the blarney stone first. But go on, IRA activities have died down, you should be safe

Thought I'd post a very telling quote for some very stupid times, which aussie-guy-with-steve-mcqueen-av posted previously on a war thread (soz - forgot name - Decker?) . Not quite appropriate, but so damn good...

"Of course the people dont want war...that is understood. But voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." - Hermann Goering

"Of course the people dont want war...that is understood. But voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." - Hermann Goering
Ah, the ol' favorite of the anti-war crowd. I've probably heard it half a dozen times on the 'Net over the last few months. Somehow I doubt you find that stupid. I think you admire it...almost as much as I admire this:

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks that nothing is worth war, is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-- John Stuart Mill

Originally Posted by Yoda
Ah, the ol' favorite of the anti-war crowd. I've probably heard it half a dozen times on the 'Net over the last few months. Somehow I doubt you find that stupid. I think you admire it...almost as much as I admire this: ...
A few things yodels...

I'm not anti-war. I'm just anti- needless/greedy/bigoted/unjustified/avoidable wars.
I respect the nescessity/inevitability of war under the right circumstances.

Are you suggesting this quote is untrue i.e. because you've heard it repeated on the net? Is it this that you find stupid or the sentiment?

I don't admire this quote, i love the irony. The very people in modern politics that espouse and practice this same principal normally project themselves as being the antithesis of Goering etc. i.e. the "we-are-off-to-fight-a-moral-and-justified-and-selfless-war-again" mentality designed to echo the (inevitable) simplifications and propoganda of WWII (we were the good guys, but by default. That doesn't make it so every time.)

I understand why you respect the glory of defending your country. But that bombastic quote is an example of the exaggerrations and pontifications that can come with war-rhetoric and make debate near impossible. It's another example of extreme polarisation which unrealistically flatters one side.

Have you read any of the early aspiring WWI poetry? It's all very jubilent and disparaging of "cowards" etc. It's the guys who make it thru to the last few weeks that write things like "Dulce et decorum es.." [or something like that. I believe it's the heartily damning picture of war's wastes etc that i read a lot at school ]

Hesitance to fight isn't the same as being unwilling to defend. And who the hell was Iraq attacking?

Ah, Gol...I can always count on your train of thought to go flying off its tracks.

I'm not anti-war. I'm just anti- needless/greedy/bigoted/unjustified/avoidable wars.
I respect the nescessity/inevitability of war under the right circumstances.

Are you suggesting this quote is untrue i.e. because you've heard it repeated on the net? Is it this that you find stupid or the sentiment?
My comment was meant to indicate that a number of anti-war folks latch onto that quote for dear life, as if the fact that a dead person said it makes it gospel truth. The implication is generally that that quote applies to whatever military conflict we're engaging in at the time. There are certainly times when that quote is applicable...but as you put it in regards to another matter, that doesn't always make it so.

I don't admire this quote, i love the irony. The very people in modern politics that espouse and practice this same principal normally project themselves as being the antithesis of Goering etc. i.e. the "we-are-off-to-fight-a-moral-and-justified-and-selfless-war-again" mentality designed to echo the (inevitable) simplifications and propoganda of WWII (we were the good guys, but by default. That doesn't make it so every time.)
I'm afraid I don't see the irony you're referring to.

I understand why you respect the glory of defending your country. But that bombastic quote is an example of the exaggerrations and pontifications that can come with war-rhetoric and make debate near impossible. It's another example of extreme polarisation which unrealistically flatters one side.
I don't think so. If you read it, you'll see it is nothing more than a condemnation of pacifists. I fail to see where it has exaggerated.

Have you read any of the early aspiring WWI poetry? It's all very jubilent and disparaging of "cowards" etc. It's the guys who make it thru to the last few weeks that write things like "Dulce et decorum es.." [or something like that. I believe it's the heartily damning picture of war's wastes etc that i read a lot at school ]

Hesitance to fight isn't the same as being unwilling to defend. And who the hell was Iraq attacking?
I'm not sure I see the aim of your first paragraph. As for the second: agreed, it's not the same thing...but the two do tend to go hand in hand.

Who was Iraq attacking? Well, as I'm sure you know they've taken a number of offensive actions over the years, but if the point you're making is that they didn't have any missiles pointed at The White House, you're correct. I think you might be forgetting, however, that you'll never having a smoking gun until a shot's been fired. We shouldn't have to wait for a certified lunatic who owns an AK-47 to take someone hostage before we subdue him.

Can of Worms: Opened

This ought to get really interesting. I was just thinking that I haven't heard Yoda's voice in a long time.

Ah, Gol...I can always count on your train of thought to go flying off its tracks.

My comment was meant to indicate that a number of anti-war folks latch onto that quote for dear life, as if the fact that a dead person said it makes it gospel truth.
I don't think everyone accepts the idea as gospel, and it's not coz he's dead that it's pertinent (altho you must accept that war, especially after/during a crisis, is the ideal time to silence dissent and accuations levelled at the governing body. In times of "war" the decisions they make are the right ones and anyone who disagrees is unpatriotic. That is how it pans out, as long as they can convince enough people of the validity of these actions, the rest get swept along)

The implication is generally that that quote applies to whatever military conflict we're engaging in at the time. There are certainly times when that quote is applicable...but as you put it in regards to another matter, that doesn't always make it so.
It's certainly relevant now

I'm afraid I don't see the irony you're referring to.
You don't see the irony in the nazis and modern governments using the same tools of mass-manipulation?? (when these governments claim to represent the ideals of freedom and democracy etc)

I don't think so. If you read it, you'll see it is nothing more than a condemnation of pacifists. I fail to see where it has exaggerated.
Ok, as you say, it has it's place. During the invasion of the USA by the empirical brits, it was totally fitting (if that was when it was written). If you tried to apply it to current events i'd say it's almost as ironic as the Goering quote

As you've probably guessed by now, yes i am saying that:

Our leaders have mis-represented the situation and don't deserve our unquestioning support, and correspondingly neither does this war. See below for more specific accusations

I'm not sure I see the aim of your first paragraph. As for the second: agreed, it's not the same thing...but the two do tend to go hand in hand.
Yes, my little tangent. I'm merely saying that at the end of a long drawn out war that has truly affected you, the last thing you're liable to do is endorse the glorified nationalism contained within that quote. You should try and read some of the more powerful poems from the end of WWI if you have'nt already. Just a suggestion for an alternative view. It's valid in the sense that WWI saw many travesties and wasteful stupidities commited in the name of senitments like those you are endorsing.

Who was Iraq attacking? Well, as I'm sure you know they've taken a number of offensive actions over the years, but if the point you're making is that they didn't have any missiles pointed at The White House, you're correct. I think you might be forgetting, however, that you'll never having a smoking gun until a shot's been fired. We shouldn't have to wait for a certified lunatic who owns an AK-47 to take someone hostage before we subdue him.
Well here we're down to the nub of the current issue.

The Baath party etc did commit several invasions and attacks on their neighbours and internal populaces. But again, they are not and never have been a demonstrable threat to the US or Britain.

Saddam has funded Palestinians i'm told (no idea how true), but the tv maintains that the last known connections between S and Al Qaeda were a long time ago and ended acrimoniously.

Do you accept that:

-dubious and uncertain "intelligence" has been presented to the public and their representatives concerning Saddam's capabilities of attack. (the initial and continued Niger declarations, the 45 minute "spin" in Britain, the continued assertion that the "bio trucks" were "biotrucks" after this had been internally de-bunked [see Dr Kelly thread])

-Do you also accept then that our leaders knew the "intelligence" was not fit to receive the prominance it did, and also had a hand in mis-representing it?

...plus...

Do you really believe that what the US and the Brits have done here has lessend the chance of a nutter, born amongst extremes, commiting a suicide act against one of our countries?? Personally i believe the opposite, and i think you'll find so does the majority of the "Arabic" world.

BANNED
??? I thought this was a thread about stupid quotes!

don't be tangental!

(we're discussing some of our favourites - or at least why the other's is stupid )

BANNED
Okay! Whatever!

And who the hell was Iraq attacking?
The Shi'a Muslims, the Marsh Arabs, the Kurds, Kuwait, and the Jewish & Christian populations of Iraq. Most of this was done with US support, by the way, which just underlines our responsibility to these people.

The Baath party etc did commit several invasions and attacks on their neighbours and internal populaces. But again, they are not and never have been a demonstrable threat to the US or Britain.
Neither was Suharto, Mobutu Sese Seko, Pinochet, Idi Amin, Milosevic, etc. Nobody did anything about Hitler til the blitzkrieg of Poland. I don't get this logic.

Originally Posted by Steve
The Shi'a Muslims, the Marsh Arabs, the Kurds, Kuwait, and the Jewish & Christian populations of Iraq. Most of this was done with US support, by the way, which just underlines our responsibility to these people.
Well, it undermines any polarisations of Saddam as complete evil and the "Axis of altruism" as complete good guys certainly

Originally Posted by Steve
Neither was Suharto, Mobutu Sese Seko, Pinochet, Idi Amin, Milosevic, etc. Nobody did anything about Hitler til the blitzkrieg of Poland. I don't get this logic.

EDIT: (bit more time now...but i'm off to have a ciggie in a sec

Um ,should i mention the US's involvement in the pinochet debacle??? Don't have time for full answer...again Saddam-Hitler comparison not justified. He was not, and apparently isn't capable of any of the things we are supposedly preempting (notably the danger to the US/UK that was implied, totally spuriously it seems. Was he even in a position to attack his neighbours? The current "intelligence" from the ground, which you'd think would be better than the previously garnered "intelligence", suggests not).

Are we so concerned about their military capabilities that we are planning to reduce them to absolute and complete collapse like Afghanistan (so they can only take part in terrorist attacks )?
I don't believe that's the intention, but to be honest, so little energy seems to have been dedicated to regime-change/re-building in the planning stage that it is fairly obvious that it wasn't given the priority
it deserves. In fact, was it ever a practical idea?

I agree with your idea Steve, that i imagine little-britty TB believes in too, that if the end result is a safer and healthier Iraq then many of the other possible dubious motivations can pass to the wayside. However, seeing as how that looks very unlikely to be the result, and considering some of the more selfish/greedy possible reasons for going in, i can't agree that this war should have gone ahead.

The fact that we have all ignored domestic policy to an extent (and the brit government has demonstrably slipped stuff out unobtrusivley i.e. Christmas Eve etc concerning important domestic stuff. Mind u, they always do that )..is another sign of how this war has detracted from what is important, fostered mis-information, and generally pissed me of mightily

Ciggie calls....