Lott

Tools    

Originally posted by Caitlyn
“I want to say this about my state,” Lott said last Thursday. “When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it,” he said to applause. “And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years either.”

??????
I point to r3port's posting of the party platform. I can't believe that there's no connection. "We voted for him....and we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years either." It's stupid to assume that Lott was unaware of the platform the candidate he voted for was running on.

Actually the first thing that pops in my mind is his military record. Have you ever bothered to check any of that out? He had quite an impressive career but somehow I doubt that is the answer you were looking for…
Forgive me, but the last time I checked, Strom Thurmond's name in the general public is associated with racism. Whether this is acceptable or not is beside the point. I don't know anything about his military career, by the way. But I think what you're saying is akin to making the case for Adolf Hitler as a good military strategist instead of an evil dictator and advocate of genocide.

Granted Lott was a product of the times and the world he grew up in and would at one time have been labeled a racist… but… people can and do change… if he is such a racist now, why did he champion so many black programs in his home state of Mississippi? In your opinion, should people be forever condemned for past actions?
Let me address the last question first: The past doesn't lie...I won't imply that people can't change, but what, apart from political reasons, could have motivated him to all of a sudden change how he feels about black folks? How did it happen? Have you seen Spike Lee's 4 Little Girls, where George Wallace professes to have changed and drags his black servant into the frame? T

“all these problems”… Now what on earth could he mean by that??? Oh… of course… problems = racism… yes.. that’s it… it has to be racism because that is the only problem Americans have faced in the last 50 + years…. He certainly could not have been talking about the Korean War, the Soviet’s mass production of nuclear bombs that they oh so innocently pointed at the USA, the Bay of Pigs, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Berlin Wall, JFK’s assassination, Vietnam, Watergate, Made in the USA being replaced by Made in Japan/Made in China/Made in Everywhere but the USA, Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy’s assassinations, Columbian drug lords, the Iranian Hostage Crisis, the Iran-Contra affair, Desert Shield, Desert Storm, Operation Provide Comfort, Whitewater, America becoming a laughingstock to the rest of the world because of bimbo’s named Paula and Monica, American planes policing no-fly zones in Iraq, Operation Joint Endeavor, September 11th, Anthrax attacks, and America at war against terrorism… just to name a few… No… Trent Lott couldn’t have possibly meant any of those problems because they all pale in comparison to racism…
You want to talk about twisting words around? I never said the only problem the U.S. faced was racism. But the fact remains, Thurmond's party platform when he ran for president WAS grounded in racism. Trent Lott said, in a nutshell, that all the 'problems' could have been prevented if he were elected. You don't see any connection at all?

And now we come to this little gem where once again, you twisted my words around to suit yourself… I never said I knew more about racism than you do nor did I turn it into an issue… I said “MAYBE even more so than you”…. there is a big difference between what I said and what you insinuated but I assume my words hit a nerve somewhere… other wise what I said wouldn’t have made you mad enough to resort to what amounted to a rant that ended with you wanting to measure “dick sizes”… This last paragraph was totally uncalled for and did nothing but reflect your age or lack thereof…
I'm not going to lie. Your words DID hit a nerve, because it sounded to me like you wanted to make the awareness of racism into a contest.

Originally posted by LordSlaytan
Damn, I think I love you Caitlyn.
Tell me about it; that was a bloody brilliant post on her part, whether you agree with it or not (which I'd say I do).