Good Cretinism Article

Tools    

Defining something as true...

That's actually interesting, is it not? What is fact? A preponderance of the evidence? How do we know that scientific proofs aren't only relative in our microcosm? We don't. The concept of a higher power automatically assumes that if God could create one world he could create many. Science is only capable of 'proofs' within our own range of knowledge. What is truth? Faith? In science or divinity?

Hmmmm... not too retarded IMO.

(my response may be retarded though, Fire... I won't take that from you )

Absolutely. It sounds idiotic...until you bother to think about it. Objectivity REQUIRES some kind of Higher Power. Truth is only truth because it's ALWAYS true.

Without some kind of God, though, who decides what's true? You? I? Even if we all agree, it doesn't matter, because the whole point of truth is that it's true no matter who believes it. If you want to throw away the idea of God, I sure hope you're ready to throw away not only objective right and wrong as well, but objectivity of any kind.

And if you're throwing away objectivity, why argue here? Argument presupposes truth. It assumes that there is a correct answer to argue over and identify. The mere act of discussing things like this, therefore, implies a Creator. Simple deductive logic.

Yeah, I guess you could put it that way. I'm not arguing for the existence of God so much as arguing that if you want to toss God aside, you've got to toss a few other things aside, too.