The 27th General Hall of Fame

Tools    

I just saw that a couple of months ago, so if that film is in, I can say I already have one in the bag

I just watched The Secret of Roan Inish (1994). This is a delightful film directed by John Sayles and starring the adorably charming Jeni Courtney as Fiona, a young girl who learns about a local legend that may be connected to her family. I thought this was an enjoyable, well written film. It's very good natured and has a sweet gentleness to it. The cinematography is beautiful and the music was quite lovely too. In her debut, young Jeni Courtney is wonderful and very likeable. The adults in the cast were fine too. This was a pleasant film that children and adults could appreciate.

I just saw that a couple of months ago, so if that film is in, I can say I already have one in the bag
It is definitely in! I actually just finished my write-up for it, but I should probably wait for Ed to officially announce it before posting.

I love that a lot of people have not seen my nomination.
I've seen all but three or four of the films here, and Cure is the one I'm most excited about revisiting.

Having recently watched Kurosawa's Pulse I might give that one a slight edge, but they are both really great.

Let the night air cool you off
Safety Last!: Never seen. Of the big 3 silent comedians, Lloyd is the one I've seen by far the least of, hell, I think I've seen more Max Linder than him. That said, I'm a big fan of Keaton and Chaplin, so maybe this will be for me.

Raiders of the Lost Ark: Seen this maybe 10-11 years ago. I know Indiana Jones is an icon, but I didn't hold this in the same regard as other beloved franchises. Fine is how I would describe this movie back then. Maybe I'll appreciate it more now.

Magical Girl: I don't know that I've heard of this, but it is a cricket nom, so it'll be worth watching.

Baby Face: ueno said something about girlboss with this one, but apparently that's a good thing? girlboss is not a term I like, so I am worried. I assume this is a pre-code film? I need to see more of those than what I've seen.

Apocalypse Now: My own nom. Rewatched it last year and liked it even more than before. It takes place during Vietnam, but the war is just a setting in this film. I don't even remember the water buffalo scene that well, and like I said, it's been less than a year since I've seen this film. This ain't no Touki-Bouki.

True Romance: Tarantino's involvement didn't get me to see this ten years ago when I was pretty into Tarantino, and now when I think of Tarantino's involvement, it doesn't matter as much. This could go either way for me.

Jaws: I don't remember the last time I saw this, but it's been more recent than Indy. I love this film.

My Dog Skip: Never seen it. This is the film that was hyped up right? I mean, I know it was a joke and all. I could be sensitive to this story because my dog is getting old. I assume this is about a boy and a dog as the boy grows up and the dog ends up dying? Then that's the part near the end where we are all supposed to be sad because we've been either emotionally manipulated or somehow it was handled in a smart way where we are sad and manipulated, but it was earned? Or maybe I am wrong about all of that.

Midnight Cowboy: I know this is supposed to be a famous movie, but I don't really know anything about it. There is something gay about it... I think. I don't know. One of them is a prostitute or something.

Witness for the Prosecution: It's Wilder, so I expect it to be worth while.

Dolores Claiborne: I know nothing.

Cure: I like this a lot, but I found it kinda clinical. I am thinking I might end up really loving it this time around.

The Secret of Roan Inish: It's about Irish folklore or something?

L'amour Braque: I love Possession, so hopefully this will be in the same stratosphere

One Cut of the Dead: I know nothing.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
@edarsenal is @Takoma11 still in the HoF? The first post says she's Pending Reveal. Just wondering.
Spoke with her early this morning. She is IN. I'll adjust that on the first page.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
It is definitely in! I actually just finished my write-up for it, but I should probably wait for Ed to officially announce it before posting.
Let 'er rip, my dear, let it rip.

Looked this one up: It cost $25,000 to make and earned $250,000 with some 27 awards and 7.7 Score on IMDb. Not too shabby.
And considering we've had low-budget films like Florida Project without ever seeing or hearing about it, (I'll take the fall if I'm wrong) this could be a worthwhile nomination for a General Hall of Fame.

One Cut of the Dead / カメラを止めるな! (2017)
Directed by: Shin'ichirō Ueda
Starring: Takayuki Hamatsu, Yuzuki Akiyama, Harumi Shuhama

Putting aside everything else about One Cut of the Dead, you have to admit that it takes an impressive amount of ingenuity behind the scenes to produce a 40-minute long zombie film in a single shot. When you watch it for the first time, it's clearly not perfect as there are awkward moments, odd performance choices, and some things that seemingly appear without explanation. You may wonder if it's a bad script, poor directing, or was this just the best take they managed to get?

In reality, this is actually two different film experiences in one. The first scene works independently as a short horror flick that's obviously not going to appeal to everyone, however there is a time skip immediately after that provides a second narrative that eventually alters how the opening is perceived. It's really difficult to describe without getting into spoilers, so I'll just say that the genre dramatically changes as well.

While I originally enjoyed One Cut of the Dead, rewatching it with the knowledge of how it concludes actually made it much better. If you love all the genres in the film's distinct halves, it's incredibly entertaining. However people who want an actual horror film are going to be disappointed, and those who can't stand schlock might find the opening insufferable. It's a fairly niche film, but one that's certainly worth checking out for the sheer amount of work that went into making it.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	onecut.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	84401  

Went to edit a typo in my review and accidentally deleted it lol. It's back up now, as if nothing ever happened.

Looked this one up: It cost $25,000 to make and earned $250,000 with some 27 awards and 7.7 Score on IMDb. Not too shabby.
It was also filmed in just 8 days, which seems short to me considering all the preparation that goes into filming a 35-40 minute long shot.

L'amour braque (Andrzej Zulawski, 1985)
Oh I could not wait to see this again even though it was maybe only 3 weeks ago the first time I saw it. Just one of those films that was some indescribable quality that makes it click with me. I think everyone has those maybe. I don't really know why but its a work that leaves me feeling warm and happy inside, despite not being a warm or happy film. Thinking this might have to go on the favourites list now, I don't think I can leave off a film that makes me feel this way.

I guess I should talk about the things I like in the film that I actually can quantify in someway. Obviously the most notable element is that trademark, unhinged Zulawski energy. Like just about everything I've seen from him the film feels like its about to burst at the seems, the chaos just so barely controlled. The film was a lot easier to follow the second time around (unfortunately) but its still wild enough to make up for that and I think it being a more fun film than the previous Zulawski films I'd seen is probably why it appeals a bit more to me. His first three films are quite heavy and I just personally prefer fun things for the most part. Its so zany and loud I'm not even bothered by it having a more concrete narrative than his other works (stories, ick!) and I love, love, love the borderline nonsense dialogue, something I always love in films, easy vibe points. Its a blast start to finish and barrels through its runtime. Love it! Also, Sophie Marceau is 100% transition goals. She's just iconic here

Welcome Cosmic!

Never heard of One Cut of the Dead until now. Most of the horror movies I like are horror comedies, but on the other hand it's a very rare occasion when a foreign comedy works for me. I hope I like it.

Welcome Cosmic!

Never heard of One Cut of the Dead until now. Most of the horror movies I like are horror comedies, but on the other hand it's a very rare occasion when a foreign comedy works for me. I hope I like it.
For what it's worth, I've heard nothing but very positive word of mouth for One Cut of the Dead.

Just finished watching Cure, but it's a bit late so I'll wait until tomorrow to write something about it. It's probably best to let this one sit for a little while anyway.

ONE CUT OF THE DEAD
(2017, Ueda)

"Fast, cheap, but average"

That's how director Higurashi (Takayuki Hamatsu) describes his work to the producers trying to hire him for a special film project. Filmed over the course of 8 days and at roughly $25,000, the actual film is all but one of those things.

Without giving too much away, One Cut of the Dead follows a crew of filmmakers tasked with shooting a zombie film while facing a series of unexpected and often hilarious constraints and problems. The nature and reasons of those constraints is best explained by watching the actual film, and being patient enough to stick with it all the way through the payoff.

For a genre that has been as beaten to death as zombie films, a film really needs to bring it to surprise us. Whether it is by chance or by design, One Cut of the Dead achieves that with a unique script and execution and a lot of heart. The end result is an undeniably fun film that manages to subvert the tropes of not only zombie films, but also of reality/live TV, and filmmaking in general.

If you haven't heard much or anything about this, then give it a chance as soon as possible. Especially if you're a zombie or horror fan, this is a film that rewards you for walking in blind. It is a film that moves at a breezy pace, and even though it may look cheap, average it ain't.

Grade:

Welcome Cosmic!

This is one that definitely needs you to walk in with as little information as possible, and one that you might need a bit of patience for its first act. But trust me, the payoff should be worth it.