The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Also, Speling, I could have sworn I got a fifth point for Florida Project?
Oops, fixed. I gave you a fifth point on the first page of this thread, but I forgot to include it in the final rankings post for some reason. I added it now though.

287 points, 22 lists
Her
Director

Spike Jonze, 2013

Starring

Joaquin Phoenix, Scarlett Johansson, Amy Adams, Rooney Mara

Miss Vicky won't be happy about Her making this list since she doesn't like the film at all. She also has a strong dislike for Joaquin Phoenix, as you all know.

Trivia

Her - Samantha Morton was originally the voice of Samantha. She was present on the set with Joaquin Phoenix every day. After the filming wrapped and Spike Jonze started editing the movie, he felt like something was not right. With Morton's blessing, he decided to recast the role and Scarlett Johansson was brought and replaced Morton, re-recording all the dialogue.

Yay, my penultimate movie to show up - Her was my #11. It really isn't very often at all that the position of a movie on my ballot matches its position on the countdown.

Faildictions  

MoFo Reviewer

Her explores the possibility of a romantic relationship between a human and a machine and although something like that might sound unrealistic at first, the setting of this film made it seem like the opposite. It was a perfect combination of being futuristic enough for the human-machine relationship to be believable, while still staying close enough to the real world to make it seem like this is something that could truly happen. Combine that setting with great performances by Joaquin Phoenix as Theodore and Scarlett Johansson as Samantha, and you get an unusual romance that nevertheless feels very real.
Read the full review here.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
WTF

Her is quite good but waaaaaaaaaay too high!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

'HER' is a terrific film. Didn't quite make my ballot but could have on another day. It totally explores alienation and loneliness in the modern age.

And I love how it's almost an accompaniment to Sofia Coppola's 'Lost in Translation'. Director Spike Jonze and Coppola were at one point married.

Her was #25 on the MoFo Top 100 Science Fiction Films as well as #94 on the MoFo All-Time Top 100 Refresh (one of only two movies from this decade to make that list. The Tree of Life was the other).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Welcome to the human race...
Didn't vote for Her. I've seen it three times and find less to like about it each time that I do.

Haven't seen Her. Arguably one of my biggest blind spots of the decade. I think my wife saw it and liked it well enough.

Here's where I'm at, including the chances for the rest of my list...

Seen: 69/92

My ballot:  

Miss Vicky won't be happy about Her making this list since she doesn't like the film at all. She also has a strong dislike for Joaquin Phoenix, as you all know.
Absolutely. Horrible movie. Joaquin Phoenix is just the worst actor, ever, and this was his worst role. Probably the worst performance by any actor in history. He should just retire already. Like for real. Not like when he got my hopes up and then pulled that I'm Still Here bullshit. I can't believe 22 people voted for this trash and for it to make #9 on the countdown? MoFos just have terrible taste in movies. For shame.

I most certainly did not put this rubbish at number one on my ballot. I was not responsible for 25 of its 287 points and Her most definitely is NOT in my all-time top ten movies ever.

Seen: 55/92
My Ballot:
1. Her (#9)
6. The Skin I Live In (#127, Near Miss)
7. Joker (#60)
8. Django Unchained (#27)
9. The Wolf of Wall Street (#11)
10. You Were Never Really Here (#120, Near Miss)
11. The Man From Nowhere (#95)
14. Inside Out (#59)
20. Jojo Rabbit (#89)
24. Call Me By Your Name (#102, Near Miss)
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Reviews in My 2010s Countdown Preparation Thread

My Review for Her:

Her (Spike Jonze, 2013)
Imdb

Date Watched: 4/26/16
Cinema or Home: At work on my portable DVD player
Reason For Watching: I needed a Phoenix fix.
Rewatch: Yes

At its most basic, this is the story of a man who falls in love with an operating system. But what it's really about is loneliness and the struggle to connect. I think a lot of us find it hard to forge real, healthy relationships with other people. We let our anxieties and insecurities stand in our way. We're desperate to find friendship, love, and understanding but don't really know how to make those things happen. I know I've felt that way and I find a really strong emotional connection with this film.

Of course that connection could never happen without a truly great central performance and who better to take on that role than Joaquin Phoenix. As Theodore Twomley - one of Her's few characters - Phoenix carries the entire film on his shoulders and he does it with a grace, sensitivity, and humanity that few actors can accomplish. I feel every emotion that Theodore feels. It's very raw, very real, and very believable. To me, it is truly the greatest performance of his career and probably my favorite performance of anyone in any movie.

Which is not to say that the other performances in the film are lacking. Scarlett Johansson's husky, sensual voice is perfect as Samantha and she infuses her performance with a curiosity, confidence, enthusiasm and sexuality that is palpable even though we cannot see her. And the smaller roles, too, are very well done. Amy Adams does well in her quiet role as Theodore's friend and confidante. Chris Pratt is awkwardly endearing as Theodore's colleague and admirer of his work. And Kristen Wiig turns in a brief but outrageous voice performance as SexyKitten - in a bizarre scene that I'll leave for the uninitiated to discover on their own.

But as great as these performances are, they would be nothing without an exceptional director and (Oscar winning) screenplay behind them. Jonze has created something truly special. He's crafted a very human love story that isn't even about two humans. As with any Jonze film, it has its quirks, but if you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and forget your notions of Siri, look past the high-waisted pants and the bushy mustache and let yourself fall in love with Her.

Since I haven't seen it, I'm gonna go on a tangential rant but I hate that poster. Hate it. It looks so stupid, and it's the kind of poster that tells me absolutely nothing about the film other than *THIS STARS JOAQUIN PHOENIX* I can say the same about a lot of Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, (pre-fallout) Mel Gibson...

...that put star-power pull above artistic creativity in order to draw people in. I understand why it's done, but I hate it anyway. End of rant.

Nice I totally had predicted Her would make the top 10 this whole time and am not surprised that there is this much appreciation for this excellent film.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I am a big Spike Jonze fan, highly anticipate every one of his films, wish he would make more. Her is wonderfully melancholy yet hopeful, prescient and cautionary. Love is powerful enough to pull one out of depression, routine, and loneliness, even when it comes from a disembodied A.I. voice. Phoenix gives another remarkable performance (of course), cinematographer Hoyte Van Hoytema (Dunkirk, Nope, Spectre) and the production and design teams create a convincing near-future, and writer/director Jonze keeps the tone just right. Love that Spike's screenplay won the Oscar and I still wish "The Moon Song" had won, too...though nothing could beat "Let it Go".

Her was bittersweet sixteen on my ballot.

HOLDEN PIKE’S LIST
2. The Tree of Life (#10)
4. Incendies (#30)
5. Take Shelter (#67)
6. The Artist (#87)
8. Silence (#43)
9. Birdman (#21)
10. The Revenant (#53)
11. The Favourite (#61)
12. A Hidden Life (DNP)
13. Hunt for the Wilderpeople (DNP)
14. Nightcrawler (#55)
15. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (#72)
16. Her (#9)
17. The Wolf of Wall Street (#11)
19. Silver Linings Playbook (#24)
21. Room (#97)
22. True Grit (#40)
24. Get Out (#19)

Since I haven't seen it, I'm gonna go on a tangential rant but I hate that poster. Hate it. It looks so stupid, and it's the kind of poster that tells me absolutely nothing about the film other than *THIS STARS JOAQUIN PHOENIX* I can say the same about a lot of Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, (pre-fallout) Mel Gibson...

...that put star-power pull above artistic creativity in order to draw people in. I understand why it's done, but I hate it anyway. End of rant.
Joaquin Phoenix basically IS the movie, though. Well, him and Scarlett Johansson's voice, but you can't put a voice on a poster.