Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
You have to wonder what happened. Were two of the hair stylists on the film talking and one of them was like "He's such a handsome young man. He probably would look good with any style!" and another stylist was like "Bet."
"What are you worried about? I tell you Josh, by '99 everybody is going to be wearing their hair this way."

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Re-watch. Still great, aged pretty well. One of the three greatest action movies ever made, the other two being Die Hard and The Matrix.

‘Tár’ (2022)
Dir.: Todd Field

Wow, so much to unpack. It may take me days to process this film. Firstly - Cate Blanchett - what a performance, it is absolutely stellar. Blanchett plays Lydia Tár, a successful classical conductor of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. This is possible career best territory. The control Blanchett has whether speaking English or German is utterly spellbinding. The audience is given absolute plausibility that we are witnessing a world leading, uber intellectual, driven, workaholic composer conductor. I bought it.

Next - the direction. It is meticulously crafted, so well researched, from everything like the classical music, scoring, orchestral arrangements, music conservatories to the modern facets of life as a high profile professional in Berlin. There are minute details placed in this film, both in dialogue and in plot drivers that are there to symbolize the character arc that Tár goes through – right up until the very last scene, in which little devices and props are used to convey the situation Tár finds herself in. Director Todd Field has pulled off a master work here. At it’s heart it’s a character study, but it’s also an extremely complex look at cancel culture, modernity, the high brow versus the low brow, institutionalised behaviour, abuse of power, separating art versus the artist, politicising art, personal morals regarding art and so much more. Much of the first half of the film feels like a European film, (perhaps to keep in tune with the location), as there are long scenes that are dialogue heavy and static cameras with barely any action to speak of; but the film is teaching the viewer about the lead character all the time and it demands heavy concentration. Fans of directors like Darren Aronofsky, Ruben Ostlund and Pablo Larrain may well love this film.

There is one long take scene that is so well directed and acted that the tension and angst is almost uncomfortable to watch. Other scenes are straying into psychological horror territory as the viewer is almost put inside the mind of the lead character and perhaps living a realisation of her actions. Blanchett is absolutely magnetic, intense, captivating and steals every scene.

Incredible film.

9/10

Victim of The Night
They hired him to film 7 minutes where he spelled out the theme of the movie for anyone not paying attention.
Ugh.
And this is why I never click with Spielberg.

Finally, Josh Hartnett (who I do like!) has terrible hair in this film. Just terrible. In several sequences it's like a shelf jutting out from his head.
Didn’t see it, but he has the most awful hair - surely a wig - in The Virgin Suicides. If I were him I would have refused to wear it.

Zoe Kravitz totally made this movie. Sort of “Rear Window”. A techno thriller you might say. Still don’t understand the opening scene(s), but, whatever. Good movie.

9/10.
Movie of the year. Can't wait for what James Cameron brings us next.
It’s gonna be more Avatar.

‘Tár’ (2022)

Wow, so much to unpack. It may take me days to process this film. Firstly - Cate Blanchett - what a performance, it is absolutely stellar. Blanchett plays Lydia Tár, a successful classical conductor of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. This is possible career best territory. The control Blanchett has whether speaking English or German is utterly spellbinding. The audience is given absolute plausibility that we are witnessing a world leading, uber intellectual, driven, workaholic composer conductor. I bought it.

Next - the direction. It is meticulously crafted, so well researched, from everything like the classical music, scoring, orchestral arrangements, music conservatories to the modern facets of life as a high profile professional in Berlin. There are minute details placed in this film, both in dialogue and in plot drivers that are there to symbolize the character arc that Tár goes through – right up until the very last scene, in which little devices and props are used to convey the situation Tár finds herself in. Director Todd Field has pulled off a master work here. At it’s heart it’s a character study, but it’s also an extremely complex look at cancel culture, modernity, the high brow versus the low brow, institutionalised behaviour, abuse of power, separating art versus the artist, politicising art, personal morals regarding art and so much more. Much of the first half of the film feels like a European film, (perhaps to keep in tune with the location), as there are long scenes that are dialogue heavy and static cameras with barely any action to speak of; but the film is teaching the viewer about the lead character all the time and it demands heavy concentration. Fans of directors like Darren Aronofsky, Ruben Ostlund and Pablo Larrain may well love this film.

There is one long take scene that is so well directed and acted that the tension and angst is almost uncomfortable to watch. Other scenes are straying into psychological horror territory as the viewer is almost put inside the mind of the lead character and perhaps living a realisation of her actions. Blanchett is absolutely magnetic, intense, captivating and steals every scene.

Incredible film.

9/10

This is a new one I actually want to see.

Victim of The Night

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6680285

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert - (1994)

This movie was another step along the road for LGBT acceptance in Australia - a country where just a decade or two previously that acceptance would have been unthinkable (just watch what a few of these characters go through in this movie.) Basically a road trip movie, with a trio of drag queens played by Terence Stamp, Hugo Weaving and Guy Pearce embarking on a road trip to Alice Springs - they've been invited to perform there by the wife (a shock for two of the three) of one of the performers. There's a heap of mincing, which is something that's put me off seeing it for all these years, but I felt it was time I saw this considering it's acclaim - and indeed that acclaim is deserved. Incredible performances, a lot of fun, and a movie that carries a lot of meaning and subtext. A must see.

8/10
Hold on, what is "mincing"?
I can't tell if this should influence my desire to see this film or not (I've seen parts of it but never the whole thing).

Victim of The Night
I was bored senseless by the first Avatar film and don't intend to sit through another 3+ hours of that world/story.
Ya know, I was bored senseless by the trailer for Avatar and so I never saw it and can't believe it's back. And I won't be seeing these new ones either.

Hold on, what is "mincing"?
I can't tell if this should influence my desire to see this film or not (I've seen parts of it but never the whole thing).
Mincing is one way to describe a sort of stereotypical, feminized behavior by a gay man.

Victim of The Night
‘Tár’ (2022)

Incredible film.

9/10

I'm really starting to get excited about seeing this.

Victim of The Night
Mincing is one way to describe a sort of stereotypical, feminized behavior by a gay man.
Ah. I did not know that. And I was too busy at work to look it up.

Victim of The Night

I laughed, I cried, I was filled with cheer. Best Christmas movie ever?
9/10

I may or may not have googled this to confirm that it was a real film.
I may or may not agree with you.