Learning English and/or other languages

Tools    

I am in Texas so Spanish is everywhere. But somehow find the language a bit coarse on the ear. Or maybe it's the way they speak it. I learned a little bit of Portuguese. A long time ago, that has a sweeter vibe to it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I just found out pear is pronounced like pair and not like peer

13 years of being wrong. I feel like I brought up another man's kid.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I just found out pear is pronounced like pair and not like peer

13 years of being wrong. I feel like I brought up another man's kid.
I knew a girl who was Thai and her name was "Pear" (don't know how it was spelled but it was pronounced like the fruit).

A few years ago my mom sent my to the Home Depot garden shop for a sale on "succulents". I had to ask a salesman where the items might be, as he was leading me to them I commented that I'd never heard of any plants called "succulents" and last I checked it was an adjective! He laughed and it surprised me a little that he got my joke.

I only speak Southern English. 😅
Even people from Southern England can't understand them Northern folk. Talking as if they were choking on a bar of soap. But don't worry, with enough practice even you will be able to understand their bestial language.

It's still so easy to recognize I'm not a native speaker. I never really worked on my accent because I never thought it important. In the end, I sound like a half-assed American after two weeks in England. But hell, maybe some women are into kinky accents like that.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Born in the US, and I have ALWAYS loved language.. I can speak Neo-Aramaic fluently, I can get around in Spanish, I can write/read in Greek (as long as the letters are capitalized, which means I know some Russian).. After spending so much time in Netherlands and Germany, I sometimes get them mixed up. I can understand an Italian movie without subtitles.

Movies help, as did school, but the best way for me to learn is when I was in a non-English speaking country, when you have no choice except to learn the basics, which I'd do before I entered the new country.

You ready? You look ready.
Even people from Southern England can't understand them Northern folk. Talking as if they were choking on a bar of soap. But don't worry, with enough practice even you will be able to understand their bestial language.

It's still so easy to recognize I'm not a native speaker. I never really worked on my accent because I never thought it important. In the end, I sound like a half-assed American after two weeks in England. But hell, maybe some women are into kinky accents like that.
Should have clarified that better. I speak Southern ‘Merica

I had German in high school. I belonged to a band from Finland's forum and there were many German members as well. It was nice to learn to speak to them again. Also, I even used a website that teaches as well.

I was in high school 36 years ago. To remember as much as I do is a challenge.

I decided to create a thread about learning English. I know that the big percentage of people here don't have to care about it, as they are native speakers, but I know of few no native speakers. For how long have you been learning English, guys? I've been learning English for 5 years I guess, but I think that my skills are pretty decent not to say mediocre. Although, I know a lot of words I never really put them to a good use when I speak. Also, I often happen to forget words, which results in a break in my sentence. Pronunciation is not a big deal. I had more trouble spelling that word than pronouncing it. Of course sometimes I pronounce words incorrectly, but I'm working on this.

And to think that I am one of the best in my class. People out here really don't like to learn languages. Speaking of other languages... I've been "learning" German for like 12 years, yet I cannot make a simple sentence. Yeah, "learning" at the school. I remember that I was pretty good at it, but then I started to learn English and completely forgot about German. Also, I'm not really keen on Deutsch. I prefer Russian.

What about you, pals?
Several of my friends here speak very good English, including you. Perhaps it's your grammar but you have sent me a few messages in the past of a voice recording.

Americans are lazy and have bad grammar.. I know.. I am terrible at it.

ICH BIN KINKY BIST DU KINKY MOVIE GAL

ICH MAG PIZZA ESSEN UND COLA TRINKEN

ICH BIN SEHR GUT GROSARTIGES GUT

MEIN DEUTSCH IST SUPER GUT ICH BIN EIN GENIUS

ICH HABE DEUTSCH AUS SCHULE GELERNT

Several of my friends here speak very good English, including you.

Americans are lazy and have bad grammar.. I know.. I am terrible at it.
I wouldn’t say we are lazy but rather just fed up with all the bull**** rules. I’m more surprised that there are some people who do care after 12 years of being told where to put a comma.

I only care about my grammar (mildly) because I got tired of repeating myself when no one knew wth I was trying to say!

Whilst humorous, if you got friends or family that would entertain eating a relative then you got bigger problems than where to put the comma.

Whilst humorous, if you got friends or family that would entertain eating a relative then you got bigger problems than where to put the comma.
Since when do Americans use the word “whilst”?

I'm a learnt Southern. I read smart but sound dumb.

But honestly, I have no idea why but I use a lot of English English. I usually don't even know it till I look it up.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I'm a learnt Southern. I read smart but sound dumb.

But honestly, I have no idea why but I use a lot of English English. I usually don't even know it till I look it up.
In documentaries I’ve seen set in the South I have heard them use “British expressions” that one never hears in New England. Strange as that sounds.