MoFo Battle Royale Directors Edition, Final Round: Steven Spielberg vs. Martin Scorse

Tools    

Steven Spielberg vs. Martin Scorsese
76.92%
10 votes
Steven Spielberg
23.08%
3 votes
Martin Scorsese
13 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Marty hands down without a doubt.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I love both, but yeah, I'm literally obssessed with Spielberg.

I gotta go with Spielberg. I said some of this in an earlier thread, but I his body of work is going to look completely absurd by the time he's done; heck, it would if he retired right now. Not that this doesn't go for Marty, but I don't think we fully appreciate Spielberg yet, even as much as we love him. His films have changed the industry, made heaps of cash, and I think most of them will stand the test of time, too.

At this point it's just one genius or another, and Spielberg gets my vote for overall consistency, influence, range, and raw entertainment.

I gotta go with Spielberg. I said some of this in an earlier thread, but I his body of work is going to look completely absurd by the time he's done; heck, it would if he retired right now. Not that this doesn't go for Marty, but I don't think we fully appreciate Spielberg yet, even as much as we love him. His films have changed the industry, made heaps of cash, and I think most of them will stand the test of time, too.

At this point it's just one genius or another, and Spielberg gets my vote for overall consistency, influence, range, and raw entertainment.
Some of his films, like Jaws or Close Encounters, are already proving that his films are standing the test of time.

Well it looks like Spielberg won, no surprise here. Add that to one of his characters winning the previous tournament and he's on a roll.

Aw man, what a jype! 13 votes? That's hardly a statistically relevant sample size.

Scorsese forever

After Hours & Taxi Driver are the only Scorcese films I love a lot... the rest were all average to me..

But I just love Spielbergs Jaws & Catch me if you can.
I think I would have gone for Scorcese.

Those are the two most mediocre Spielberg films to me actually. I think his Close Encounters is his masterpiece. I say this holding in place the notion that 99% of his films are totally pointless. A.I. might be his second best film, this is saying alot about Spielberg since his second best is so wildly uneven and completely fails in several parts, the ending is absolutely brilliant and makes up for a lot of the previous mistakes.

A.I. is one movie where I can see him using money well to make an expensive movie.
I think Spielberg did a great job considering it was based on Kubrick's ideas, but it has lots of flaws and Doesn't have an engaging pace a Kubrick or a Spielberg film would usually have..
But yes Close Encounters is his best film to date...
But I guess I m just mentioning movies which I really enjoyed.. Most of my Top lists tend to include movies which I really enjoyed..
And Catch Me If You Can is simply entertaining, also great performances by Walken, Hanks & DiCaprio.
Jaws is a childhood favourite, it amazes me how I was thrilled by just a fin.. It mighty not be an intellectual film and be easily dispensed as a summer blockbuster film, it still has lots of values..

As for Scorcese I care less for Goodfellas and his other movies... I would still rate Goodfellas 8/10.. but it's just another good film to me.. Definitely not as interesting as Taxi Driver & After Hours.
Shutter Island could have been my favourite, except the ending ruined it for me..
Reminded me of Number 23, Session 9 & Madhouse.

After watching Shutter Island, it made me wonder. What if Scorcese would adapt Batman: Arkham Asylum?

A system of cells interlinked
Yeah, I can't vote, the poll is closed.

Scorsese for me, for sure, although I love plenty of Spielberg flicks, as I grew up watching his stuff in the 70s and 80s.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I like Spielberg, but Scorcese is juicer.

BTW, this thread title initially got me all excited --I thought there was a Battle Royale Directors Cut out!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It would have been Scorcese for me as well. However, he was paired up with Hitch in round 1 whom I would have taken over Scorcese

BTW, this thread title initially got me all excited --I thought there was a Battle Royale Directors Cut out!
lol same here. BR rocks.