MovieMan8877445's Movie Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Christopher Carley was also very good in this; I really loved his character though. His character never gave up on what he was trying to do and all he was trying to do was to help Walt, Walt never really took his help until the ending though.

Ahney Her was also very good in this,

But the ending to this just blew my mind; I definitely did not see it coming. It’s not the traditional Eastwood ending that you might’ve expected from the trailer.

I think I’ll actually be upset if this doesn’t snag ‘Best Picture’ this year at the academy awards, but with how it’s looking right now, I don’t even think this will be nominated for ‘Best Picture’.

But if you’re trying to find a great movie to watch sometime soon at a theater, this would be the main one that I’d recommend.
Oh come on, you didn't actually buy that did you? I mean Walt just seemed to hate him then out of nowhere he just decides to actually sit down and have a heart to heart with him. Towards the ending it got belivable but still.

Ew, no she wasn't. You can't honestly say that during the scene where she first meets Spider and tells him off that it was beliveable.

(NOTE SPOILER, sorry my spoiler tags aren't working.)

SPOILER
Again, come on. I can respect Clint for going the different route for not going for revenge by packing heat. But I mean he could have easily testified against those gangbangers in court for them shooting at his house, maybe not prove them beating Sue, but still they would have went to jail. No need to sacrifice yourself, if that was his plan.
END SPOILER

It won't, the script and some of the new coming Hmong actors were bad.

This would probably be about fourth. Right after The Wrestler, Doubt, and Revoloutionary Road.

NOTE: I didn't hate the movie, I actually liked it I gave it a

Raging Bull (Martin Scorsese, 1980)

Now I think this is a movie that everyone should check out sometime, it’s a film that I think anyone who loves movies has to see. I sadly just saw it for the first time last night though, I wish that I would’ve seen it before last night, but at least I got to see when I was still young. Because if I didn’t I would’ve been upset that I would’ve waited so long to see it. Even if you’re not a fan of Martin Scorsese you should check this out sometime, because, to me at least, this really didn’t feel like all of the other Scorsese movies that I’ve seen (which are sadly only Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, and The Departed). I’m actually surprised that I loved it so much because me, I’m not too big a fan of sports movies, most of them just tend to be average to me, except for the few like this and Million Dollar Baby. I actually find it funny that my two favorite sports movies are about boxing, maybe it’s just that I like boxing more than any other sport, I don’t know.

One of the things that make this movie so great though, is the score for it. I could tell right from the very first scene, which is the opening credits that it was going to be a great movie, just from the theme to Raging Bull. The fact that Martin Scorsese chose to shoot it in black and white just gave it the feel that it was supposed to have, the feel that it was supposed to be a movie from the 40’s or 50’s (at least that’s the time frame that it took place in). The cinematography for this was just great though, they sure did a great job with it in this.

Robert DeNiro and Joe Pesci make a great team together though, I actually thought they were related in this one, but then again I also thought they were related in Goodfellas. They’re just the perfect team of actors to work together, they need a new movie with them together, to see if they still do great together which I’m sure they do. I really loved DeNiro’s character at first, but towards the end though I just didn’t like him, I think you were supposed to hate his character more as the movie goes along. Pesci’s character seemed to really care about DeNiro’s character though, even though DeNiro was just plain mean to him in some of the scenes. One thing that made this movie so special was that it really made it seem that it was based on a true story, and I don’t think it actually was. At least that I know of, Goodfellas was made the same way though.

The only thing I didn’t like about this movie though was the ending, I mean the movie started going downhill once La Motta retired from boxing, but the last 15 minutes or so just got really boring. But then when the credits started rolling again, I loved it just as much as when he was boxing because the amazing theme started playing. I’m serious, I think this may have my favorite movie theme of all-time, it’s just so inspiring, and I’m actually listening to it right now. Personally I think with a re-watch this may even make it into my top 5, because I know I loved it more than Pulp Fiction, I just have to make sure it stands up as great with a re-watch as Pulp Fiction does. I’m actually sort of upset now that I didn’t wait to do my top 100, because I now really want to include this in it, but I can just include this next time I do my top 100. I think everyone needs to check this out eventually, because this is a must see to anyone who’s a fan of movies, it definitely deserves the number 4 spot on AFI’s greatest 100 movies ever made.

If you didn't like the ending how could you give it a 5/5?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

If you didn't like the ending how could you give it a 5/5?
Because the rest of the movie was just so amazing, that I wouldn't feel right not giving it a 5/5.

Oh, I see the way it is, respond to Harry before me, :cries:

You are lucky though, you get to watch all of Scorsese's films for the first time. One that I really like but don't see mentioned too often here is Mean Streets from 1973. There are so many others and for the most part they are worth it, enjoy.

Oh come on, you didn't actually buy that did you? I mean Walt just seemed to hate him then out of nowhere he just decides to actually sit down and have a heart to heart with him. Towards the ending it got belivable but still.

Ew, no she wasn't. You can't honestly say that during the scene where she first meets Spider and tells him off that it was beliveable.

(NOTE SPOILER, sorry my spoiler tags aren't working.)

SPOILER
Again, come on. I can respect Clint for going the different route for not going for revenge by packing heat. But I mean he could have easily testified against those gangbangers in court for them shooting at his house, maybe not prove them beating Sue, but still they would have went to jail. No need to sacrifice yourself, if that was his plan.
END SPOILER

It won't, the script and some of the new coming Hmong actors were bad.

This would probably be about fourth. Right after The Wrestler, Doubt, and Revoloutionary Road.

NOTE: I didn't hate the movie, I actually liked it I gave it a
I think the heart to heart talk during the ending was because of what just happened, and I think Walt just snappend in a way of saying. And the first talk the had, Walt probably did because he was getting annoying, and wanted him to stop bothering him.

She was good, I mean it's not like she was amazing or anything, but she was still good.

But then the ending wouldn't have been as amazing, and it wouldn't leave you as amazed.

Maybe the Hmog actors, but the script definitely wasn't bad.

I still really want to see Doubt and The Wrestler, and I wouldn't have a problem with Revolutionary Road beating it.

Oh, I see the way it is, respond to Harry before me, :cries:
lol, sorry.

I think the heart to heart talk during the ending was because of what just happened, and I think Walt just snappend in a way of saying. And the first talk the had, Walt probably did because he was getting annoying, and wanted him to stop bothering him.

Oh I'm talking about in like the middle when Walt's at the bar and Father talks to him. It seemed out of character for Walt.

Oh I'm talking about in like the middle when Walt's at the bar and Father talks to him. It seemed out of character for Walt.
Well like I said, I think Walt decided to do it at the bar because he was getting a little annoyed by Father.

One thing that made this movie so special was that it really made it seem that it was based on a true story, and I don’t think it actually was. At least that I know of, Goodfellas was made the same way though.
I'm sure some liberties were taken, but the basic story is certainly true. Jack LaMotta was a real person, and the film is based on (and gets its title from) his own autobiography.

Henry Hill from Goodfellas is also a real person, and the film is based on a non-fiction book largely about him, as well (though it wasn't an autobiography).

I'm sure some liberties were taken, but the basic story is certainly true. Jack LaMotta was a real person, and the film is based on (and gets its title from) his own autobiography.

Henry Hill from Goodfellas is also a real person, and the film is based on a non-fiction book largely about him, as well (though it wasn't an autobiography).
Woah, really? I had always thought they were just made to seem real, well Raging Bull I had sorta believed that it was based of a true story, because it seemed more like it could. But I would've never thought Goodfellas was based of a real person, thanks for the info Yoda.

Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)

I had the joy of watching this for the first time the other night, along with my first viewing of Raging Bull. It was great being able to see this for the first time, because I love each time I get to see a new Martin Scorsese movie, especially with the first viewing because most of the time, the first viewing is the best. Taxi Driver is definitely not the exception though, because I loved it, I’d rank it behind Raging Bull, and ahead of Goodfellas and The Departed, seeing as sadly those are the only Scorsese movies that I’ve seen so far. Now this one felt more like The Departed than it felt like Raging Bull or Goodfellas, maybe it’s just because this one didn’t quite have that ‘it’s based of a real person’ feel like the latter two did, which I recently found out really were based of real people. I was quite surprised when I found this out.

This really had no gangster movie type of feel to it though, like the other three of his that I’ve seen. I didn’t quite like the score to this one as much as I did to Raging Bull, I don’t know it just seemed to ominous for it to be a favorite of mine, it went with the movie great though, because Taxi Driver really did have an ominous feel to the whole movie. I do have to say though, that this is the darkest Scorsese movie that I’ve seen so far, from what I’ve seen of the ones I haven’t seen yet, this still looks like his darkest movie. But I could end up being surprised when one really is dark though, so you never know.

I do think that this is personally Robert DeNiro’s best role that I’ve seen so far, it was just amazing how he went from a semi-normal guy to just like snapping towards the end. I’m not sure if he really snapped towards the end though, because he did feel like that throughout the whole movie, his character just seemed to get really dark there towards the end. It was really weird seeing Jodi Foster in this though. Maybe it’s because she just seemed so young playing her role in this, it’s funny though, because I think from her face she looks exactly as she does now.

This for me was actually sort of like the opposite of Raging Bull I guess you can say, because instead of the last 15 minutes or so being dull, like it is for me in Raging Bull, for this it’s the first 15 minutes or so that’s dull to me. I did like it more than the ending to Raging Bull though, because I liked them seeing set up Robert DeNiro’s character, Travis Bickle. I loved the build-up to the ending to though, I was glad that it didn’t disappoint building up to amazing ending throughout the whole movie, it actually delivered. The ending to this is actually probably my favorite thing about Taxi Driver, aside from DeNiro’s acting in it. Right now, I think that it could probably make it into my top 10, I’m not sure if it’s going to hold up as well with a re-watch though, I sure hope it does but I’m not sure if it will. Also with a re-watch it’ll make it easier for me to find a spot for it in my top 10, which is if it’s going to end up in my top 10.

Nice review!

This is one of my all time favorite movie scenes and lines!

Yeah, that was a great scene that really showed off DeNiro's acting.

Thanks Meatwad for giving me the idea.

MovieMan's Favorites Of 2008:

Best Movie Of The Year: The Dark Knight

What's not to love about The Dark Knight? It lived up to every expectation that I had for it, not many films are like that for me. As some may know I was totally obbsessed with this movie throughout the whole summer, it's died down a bit now, but I still really love it. Gran Torino, Changeling, The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button, and Revolutionary Road all come up very close though.

Runner-ups:

Best Director: David Fincher, The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

It's great to see another great Fincher movie, this has to be his best film since Fight Club which came out back in 1999, even though I still loved The Zodiac. I really hope he ends up taking home 'Best Director' this year at the oscars. Christopher Nolan for The Dark Knight, Clint Eastwood for Gran Torino, and Ben Stiller for Tropic Thunder all come up right after it.

Runner-ups:

Best Actor: James Franco, Pineapple Express

This was definitely the biggest surprise of the year for me, I was amazed at how amazing Franco did in Pineapple Express. I know Heath Ledger seems to be most peoples biggest surprise, but I had already expect Ledger to do that amazing in the role. Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino, Leonardo DiCaprio in Revolutionary Road, Brad Pitt in The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button, and Viggo Mortensen in Appaloosa come close to it though.

Runner-ups:

Best Actress: Angelina Jolie, Changeling

This really wasn't a surprise to me, because I've always though Angelina Jolie was great at acting. She can turn okay action movies, into something good just from her acting, even though I already like most of the action movies that she was in anyway because they're fun to watch. Kate Winslet in Revolutionary Road and Francis McDormand in Burn After Reading come right after though.

Runner-ups:

Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight

His preformance in The Dark Knight was just amazing, completely mind blowing. There really isn't anything else to say about it though, that hasn't already been said in these past few months since it's been released. Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder and Michael Shannon in Revolutionary Road come right after it.

Runner-ups:

Best Visuals: Australia

Now if this doesn't take home 'Best Cinematography' this year at the academy awards, then I'm gonna end up being really surprised. Because the visuals in this were just amazing, I'd actually say that it has some of the best visuals that I've ever seen, I was pleasently surprised. The Dark Knight, The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button, Wanted, and Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull come right after though.

Runner-ups:

Best Score: The Dark Knight

Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard just make an amazing team together. This is one of the best scores that I've heard in years, too bad it's not eligible for any of the academy awards this year, it could've totally won. The Happening, Kung Fu Panda, and Wanted come close after though.

Runner-ups:

Best Comedy: Pineapple Express

Pineapple Express was great when I first saw it, but like most of Judd Apatow's comedies, his movies just get better with rewatches. So when I got a chance to rewatch it the other night and I did, and I loved it even more than I did in theaters, you should check it out if you haven't yet. Tropic Thunder, Burn After Reading, and Kung Fu Panda come close after though.

Runner-ups:

Best Animated Feature: Wall-E

Wall-E is easily one of the best animated movies that I've ever seen. It didn't quite amaze me with my first viewing, but with repeat viewings I began to even love it even more with each viewing, and now it's my second favorite animated movie of all-time, it's quite an amazing movie that I think everyone should check out eventually. Kung Fu Panda and Bolt come right after it though.

Runner-ups:

Glad you liked Taxi Driver, it's one of my top films of all time, it means alot to me and in my opinion it gets better with repeat viewings. I'm liking your best films of 2008 too MovieMan, very cool. Also, I just bought a copy of Watchmen and am going to read it over the next week, I'll let you know what I think, but from what I've read so far, I'm sure I'll like it. And I'll have a better idea on what my odds are in regards to our little bet.

Glad you liked Taxi Driver, it's one of my top films of all time, it means alot to me and in my opinion it gets better with repeat viewings. I'm liking your best films of 2008 too MovieMan, very cool. Also, I just bought a copy of Watchmen and am going to read it over the next week, I'll let you know what I think, but from what I've read so far, I'm sure I'll like it. And I'll have a better idea on what my odds are in regards to our little bet.
Yep, it's definitely an amazing piece of literature, and and BTW, it's better if you don't know anything about it before you read it, so the less you know about it, I think the more you'll like it. As for Taxi Driver, I surely hope that it does stand up better with repeat viewings, and if it's as great with a repeat viewing I may just have to bump it up to a full perfect score, because if it's as great with a rewatch then it's probably gonna venture into my top 10.

Taxi Driver affected me in different ways at different times of my life. It's probably at the peak right now, maybe I should be aware of the precipice.

The Unborn (David S. Goyer, 2009)

So, this was my first movie that came out in 2009 that I’ve had the chance to see, I don’t really know what I think about it being The Unborn though. I’ve got to admit before I start my review though; I had to have sort of high expectations for it, mainly because of it being written by David. S Goyer, who wrote Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, and because Gary Oldman was one of the stars, and he’s my second favorite actor of all-time. Personally, I’m not really sure about Goyer’s directing, I mean I love his writing, but I think that he should just stick to writing and not directing. I do have to say though, Goyer’s writing for this was the best thing about The Unborn, and so I guess I’m pretty happy about that. There really wasn’t much else that I was really happy with like I was happy with the writing.

One of the things that I was most excited for about this was that I thought the creatures looked really cool from the trailer, so that’s something that I had hoped would help make this movie ‘cool’. Sadly I was very wrong; it has to have some of the worst special effects that I’ve ever seen, hands down. With one scene this dog’s head is supposed to be turned upside down, it really looks like the head was put on there using photoshop. I do got to admit though, when the old man’s head was supposed to be turned upside down, it looked miles better than the dog’s scene. I’d actually call the dog head scene one of the worst special effects scenes that I’ve ever seen, maybe the worst. Besides those two scenes though, there really wasn’t much special effects, besides the bugs, which I didn’t have a problem with really. So the effects didn’t effect my ratings too much, they definitely effected them some though.

Personally, one of the main things that saved this movie for me, besides the writing, was Gary Oldman. I wouldn’t call this one of his best performances or anything, but he was still as great as usual, it didn’t really save this movie as much as I had hoped for him to save the movie. One thing that really upset me about his role in this is that he barely had any screen time; I mean he wasn’t even introduced until about half way in the movie, he needed more screen time. Another thing that really helped save this movie for me was Odette Yustman, I think she’s a very underrated actress, she can actually act good, and she’s showed me this with The Unborn and Cloverfield. She’s also really hot, so seeing her in this really helped. Besides those two though, most of the other actors are very mediocre, some of them are just really bad. I was sort of upset to see Megan Good get one of the main roles of the movie, which was just bad casting decisions because she just can’t act good. Her acting is really the only acting in the movie that I hated, but like I said before, everyone else was just mediocre.

This makes up for that atrocity of a horror movie that can out this same weekend last year, One Missed Call, though. I was glad to see that it didn’t turn out as bad as that; I really would’ve been upset if it did. I really loved the ending to it, well not the very last minute ending, but the whole ending scene was great. Right from when the exorcism began, up until the very end of the scene was just amazing IMO. The very last second of it with Gray Oldman, Odette Yustman, and her boyfriend was my favorite thing in the whole movie. I still did like the last minute of it though, it gave a good explanation of why this was all happening. And you know, despite the crappy effects it had and the mediocre acting it had, I still really enjoyed it. I mean it’s not one that I’d go pay to see again in theaters, but I can definitely see me buying the DVD whenever it comes out. And I’d recommend it to anyone interested in it, it may be better if you just wait for the DVD release though if you don’t have much interest in it. It’s definitely one of the better PG-13 horror movies that we’ve had so far though.