MoFo Battle Royale Directors Edition, Round 4: Sergio Leone vs. Steven Spielberg

Tools    

Sergio Leone vs. Steven Spielberg
37.50%
6 votes
Sergio Leone
62.50%
10 votes
Steven Spielberg
16 votes. You may not vote on this poll

This one is pretty tough for me, both have done great stuff for cinema. But I'm still getting over how incredible Once Upon a Time in the West was.

Leone.

I absolutely love Leone's movies, but Spielberg is my favorite director ever. I love Spielberg's movies way more anyways. Spielberg gets my vote.

Close, but in the end Spielberg.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I love Leone, too, but he doesn't stand a chance, to me. I dunno if it's uncool to dig on someone as popular an current as Spielberg, but the man has broken one cinematic barrier after another, and makes maybe one mediocre film per decade. We're going to look back at this guy's career in awe...not even counting the fact that he's easily got at least another dozen films in him.

Stevie gets my vote, without hesitation.

There's no contest. Leone. Spielberg's never done anything impressive in the least bit, except maybe Close Encounters. And when he does, it's 70% other peoples work. We can argue about Leone's influence on his films, if you want.