Fantastic Mr. Fox

→ in
Tools    

Fantastic Mr. Fox
Wes Anderson, 2009

When I look back at this year for movies, I’ve noticed that it’s been a pretty dry year for movies throughout, with few exceptions. I’m hoping that we get some really amazing movies this next month, which we should with the award season coming up pretty fast. There’s no doubt about it in my mind, that this will definitely be one of the contenders this year. It may not quite win anything, but it’ll sure be nominated for some things. I can definitely see it getting a best screenplay nod by the academy, even though I have a feeling that (500) Days of Summer will take it instead; which it deserves to, in my opinion.

I actually don’t think that I’ve ever seen a Wes Anderson film before this, but I’m highly considering it right now. If he has a similar style in all of his films, then I must check them out because I loved the style in this so much. It was something totally unique that I don’t think I’ve seen done before. We’ve seen some animation like this before, but none of them were quite as stand-out as this. Maybe it’s because this came out in the midst of Pixar and DreamWorks Animation, that it just automatically stands out more.

It has quite an amazing ensemble, though, with actors like George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Michael Gambon, Owen Wilson, and Willem Dafoe. Even if it was only his voice, this has to be one of the best roles that I’ve ever seen Clooney in. I think he should start doing more comedy type films like this, which he has recently with this, Burn After Reading, and The Men Who Stare at Goats. Meryl Streep is pretty much just a hit-and-a-miss for me; I really like her in some films, but just can’t stand her in others. I liked her in this one. Jason Schwartzman is such a great comedian, and I have to see him in some more films like this. I absolutely loved him in the HBO show, Bored to Death.

I’ve noticed a lot more that recently, I’ve liked a lot more of the indie type of films coming out. So, I’m considering checking out some more, but I’m still hesitant to do so because I loved (500) Days of Summer, but I still can’t stand Juno. It might be the fact that Juno is so overrated that it’s been bothering me so much, but I don’t know.

You know, when I first saw this I was a tad disappointed, but I’ve noticed that I like it the more I think about it. I may even go see it again if I get the chance to in the coming weeks. I’ll have pretty much every weekday to do so, and maybe I could convince some more people to see it, because it really is something different and special. Check it out if you get the chance to, you won’t be disappointed.

Movie Forums Extra
Nothing special for me, but for my daughter it was v ery interesting

Forgot to post a link to this earlier; my bad. Here's my review of Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Anderson correctly calculates that stop-go animation will stand out like a sore thumb and embraces the difference by shooting at 12 frames per second rather than the usual 24. The result gives each movement a sudden and exaggerated feel that dovetails perfectly with the film's half-reality....READ MORE

This movie is just going to be an excuse for all the furries of the world to run out of their parents' houses, and congregate in the one place darker than the basements they dwell in: a movie theater.

The movie may be entertaining, but it is not worth seeing in the theater and having to sit next to an overweight, overly sweaty, 40 year old man dressed as a dog.