My Vacation

Tools    

I thought I'd make a thread about my vacation to Orlando, mainly because I'm really bored and there's nothing really else to talk about right now.

It was pretty much the most packed week that I've had in awhile. We were barely even in the hotel room for most of the trip, so I didn't even notice that we didn't have internet. The first day we got there we didn't do much of anything except sit in the room and watch TV, mainly because we didn't have much of anytime to do anything at the time we got there. We basically just went out to dinner and that was it the first day. There were a couple of more days like that during the trip, both usually on those days we just drove around or something like that.

SeaWorld was the first theme park that we went to, and there's not really much to do at SeaWorld. There's only like four different rides there, and none of them are really amazing or anything. The new roller coaster there, Manta, was pretty great, though. I liked how you got to lay straight down while riding it, and there wasn't even that long of a wait for it either. I was pretty surprised about that, because it's a brand new roller coaster. One ride there that had a super long wait was that Journey to Atlantis ride, which wasn't even that good. The main thing I rode it for was to get soaking wet because I was really hot, and I barely even got wet at all. It certainly wasn't worth an hour wait. The other roller coaster there, Kraken, is pretty good, but isn't anywhere near as great as Manta is. We went to Aquatica too, which is the water park that goes along with SeaWorld. That was way better than SeaWorld, even though they didn't have much to do there at all. The best water slide there was the Dolphin Plunge which actually went underwater and you could see dolphins while on the ride. It went so fast though, that you couldn't even see the dolphins. The wave pool there was the best, but that's always my favorite thing at water parks.

The highlight of the trip for me was the Universal theme parks, which have been my favorite theme parks for awhile now. They really weren't even that busy like they usually are, which I was pretty surprised about. The longest wait in both parks was for the Incredible Hulk, but that was worth the wait. I even waited longer for it just to sit in the front row, which made the experience even better. As far as roller coasters goes though, I much prefer the Dueling Dragons. It's a lot more extreme than the Incredible Hulk, though. The only ride that actually scared me in both parks was Dr. Doom's Fearfall, and that's only because it shoots you up really fast and I usually lose my stomach on it. I did this time of course, too. I hated how the Jurassic Park ride wasn't even that great, though. Another one of my favorite movies, E.T, had a pretty lame ride. I guess these two rides were really aimed at for kids more. A ride that I only got to ride once and was my personal favorite at Universal was the Simpson's ride. When I first heard about it, I was pretty upset because I really loved the Back to the Future ride, but it's basically the same ride made even better. The only ride I rode more than once though, was the Jaws ride. It's not even really fun to ride during the day, but it's really amazing if you ride it when it's dark. I rode the Men in Black ride more than once, too, but that was only because I rode in the single riders line which never had any wait time. I rode that like 5 or 6 times.

The only other thing that I really did on the trip was see Cirque Du Soleil and the Blue Man Group. Cirque Du Soleil was pretty good, but my problem with it was that the entire show was basically one huge talent show. The entire show is basically just stunt after stunt, but the show was still pretty 'artsy'. The Blue Man Group was the best thing about my trip, though. It was beyond visually amazing, and pretty hilarious at the same time. I had no idea that so much of it was going to be a comedy before seeing it. I didn't know the show was going to be so interactive too, because most of the show involved the audience. The entire finally to the show was so amazing, though. So much was happening at once that you couldn't even tell what the hell was going on. These two shows are the first big shows that I've ever seen, too, and they have me wanting to check out some more big shows. One of the smaller shows that I saw was at Universal, and it was the Universal Horror Make-Up show. It was very informative of how they do the make-up for horror movies, and it has me wanting to check out some more of the classic Universal horror movies. I had no idea that Universal was the studio that basically started the horror genre before watching the show, though.

I loved the trip, but by the time it was over, I was ready to come home. On the entire car trip home yesterday, I just wanted to come home and get back on the internet. Saturday night really had me wanting to come home, because Universal Studios was packed for the night of the Fourth of July. It literally took us 2 hours to just leave the park because it was just that packed there. I had enough time at the theme parks though, and I was just ready to come home, relax some, and get back to watching my movies because I barely watched any while on vacation.

Cirque Du Soleil was pretty good, but my problem with it was that the entire show was basically one huge talent show. The entire show is basically just stunt after stunt . . .
What exactly did you expect, I wonder, going into a French-Canadian show that is described as a "circus without animals"? I'm not ragging on you; I really am curious as to what you expected going into that show, which by the way is not exactly cheap in terms of admission. I assume from your original post that you are a young person, and many young people today have never seen a traditional circus since the days of traveling big tops are long gone here in the US. Cirque Du Soleil basically has taken the old circus format, eliminated animal acts, and reduced it from three rings of simultaneous action into one "ring" with many international acts loosely strung on a main theme. Many of their past programs have been shown on TV over the years. I have 4-5 of their videos, all of which I believe have also been TV programs.

What exactly did you expect, I wonder, going into a French-Canadian show that is described as a "circus without animals"? I'm not ragging on you; I really am curious as to what you expected going into that show, which by the way is not exactly cheap in terms of admission. I assume from your original post that you are a young person, and many young people today have never seen a traditional circus since the days of traveling big tops are long gone here in the US. Cirque Du Soleil basically has taken the old circus format, eliminated animal acts, and reduced it from three rings of simultaneous action into one "ring" with many international acts loosely strung on a main theme. Many of their past programs have been shown on TV over the years. I have 4-5 of their videos, all of which I believe have also been TV programs.
I didn't really know what to expect, because I had no idea what it was even about. All I know was that my dad had bought us tickets to see it, and I ended up liking it very much. I know that every show around the country is supposed to be different, so I wouldn't mind seeing it in some other city if I ever get the chance to. I haven't even been to the circus since I was like 5 years old though, and I don't even remember much of how it went.

I didn't really know what to expect, because I had no idea what it was even about. All I know was that my dad had bought us tickets to see it, and I ended up liking it very much. I know that every show around the country is supposed to be different, so I wouldn't mind seeing it in some other city if I ever get the chance to. I haven't even been to the circus since I was like 5 years old though, and I don't even remember much of how it went.
Oh, Cirque Du Soleil puts on a hell of a show, especially the lights and music, none of which I've ever heard outside those performances. It's extremely unique and some of the acts by gymnists, flyers, jugglers, acrobats, contortionists, etc. are mind-boggling. I know they have permanent theaters in Orlando, Vegas, Quebec I think, and maybe other places. Plus they'll have 3-4, maybe more, troupes on the road in several countries. If I remember correctly, each does a unique program, likely because they can't find people to duplicate a certain act in 4-5 shows, and a particular troupe performs the same program for like a year, then come back to Quebec, take out some performers, put in some new stars and start rehearsing a completely new program for the next time they hit the road. (This is off the top of my head from a program I last saw some years ago, so there may be holes in my story.)

Like I said, the admission is high, more than $100 each for my wife and I when we were in Orlando 8-9 years ago. But the shows are worth it if you want to see what the human body and imagination can accomplish. And it's all LIVE--not on a screen.

I saw a Cirque Du Soleil show one time... I think it was Varekai.

I almost fell asleep.

I saw a Cirque Du Soleil show one time... I think it was Varekai.

I almost fell asleep.
Musta had ear-plugs. I remember the music being loud and somewhat penetrating at times. But then there have been people who slept through screenings of Guns of Navarone.