Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

I got past the animal stuff by just clicking the FF button. I saw like one or two seconds of it in the whole movie. I liked the rest.
Do you mean that you managed to skip most of the animal cruelty scenes and only saw a couple seconds of it in the film as a result of fast forwarding, or that the film only contains a few seconds of animal cruelty in total?

If you're referring to the latter, I don't know if we watched a different version of the film, but the turtle scene, for instance, lasted about 5 minutes.

I knew about its reputation and still, the animal stuff caught me a bit off guard with Cannibal Holocaust. I mean, the turtle thing you can see coming a mile ahead, since it's so drawn out, but the first one? the coatimundi? Damn. It's like one second, they're talking, and the other, the guy pulls that knife and bam! slices it open. That was... rough.

Do you mean that you managed to skip most of the animal cruelty scenes and only saw a couple seconds of it in the film as a result of fast forwarding, or that the film only contains a few seconds of animal cruelty in total?

If you're referring to the latter, I don't know if we watched a different version of the film, but the turtle scene, for instance, lasted about 5 minutes.
Well, the truth is that, other than the turtle scene, the other animal scenes are fairly quick and short. If I remember correctly, there's...

WARNING: spoilers below
  • The coatimundi sliced open
  • The turtle
  • The pig shot
  • Some spiders cut with a machete
  • The snake cut with a machete
  • The monkey decapitated

So, other than the turtle scene, fast forwarding through those won't make you miss much of the film.

Well, the truth is that, other than the turtle scene, the other animal scenes are fairly quick and short. If I remember correctly, there's...

WARNING: spoilers below
  • The coatimundi sliced open
  • The turtle
  • The pig shot
  • Some spiders cut with a machete
  • The snake cut with a machete
  • The monkey decapitated

So, other than the turtle scene, fast forwarding through those won't make you miss much of the film.
Yeah, I'm just not sure I understand what Wooley means by "...I mostly skipped them but that was really just a few seconds of the movie" when, considering the turtle sequence, that isn't the case. I don't know if he means that the film doesn't contain any more than a few seconds of animal cruelty in total or something else.

Cannibal Holocaust is legitimately my favorite horror movie, and a borderline top-10 favorite in general. My write-up when it appeared on the MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies Countdown:

Cannibal Holocaust was my #1. I'm not saying it's the greatest horror film ever made, but for what I personally seek from the genre, it's the most effective horror film that I've seen --- and I doubt anything will ever top it. You don't watch Cannibal Holocaust, you endure it. By the time the credits roll, I feel victimized. My senses have been raped. My soul assaulted. I'm miserable for the rest of the day. I lose all hope in humanity. And that's the film's intention. Who are the real savages? We are. Detractors say that the film is hypocritical for how it portrays the sensationalism of the media, the bloodthirstiness of viewers, and the moral vacuum of society, and I agree, but that hypocrisy only bolsters the message. The real-life filmmakers are guilty of the same atrocities for which it condemns its fictional filmmakers. Meta on top of meta; an endless string of mirrors reflecting the same black shriveled-up sin.

Much is made of the animal killings, and they're horrible, but the list is long of films that have killed animals on screen, including celebrated classics like Apocalypse Now, so I think that particular controversy is overblown. I find the film's inclusion of real-life executions from war-torn countries just to further its narrative perhaps even more repellent. But it's that marriage of real and simulated violence that makes the horror so effective, tricking our brain into thinking that the stakes are real, that the actors themselves are in danger, that nothing is an act. Perhaps that's why the director was arrested on charges of murder until he proved to the courts that the actors were still alive. Despite The Blair Witch Project getting all the credit, Cannibal Holocaust is the true innovator of the found-footage style. The musical score by Riz Ortolani might be my all-time favorite, mutating back and forth from tranquil beauty to the sonic manifestation of sinister evil. To me, Cannibal Holocaust is the most disturbing film ever made and a bona fide masterpiece. Getting it on this countdown feels like an honest-to-Satan achievement.

I'm more offended by the use of footage of real life people being executed in Cannibal Holocaust than the animal slaughters. Not that I'm interested in defending the latter but the former being absent from the conversation every time I read it is insane to me and dare I say... Implies that WE are the real cannibals.

I'm more offended by the use of footage of real life people being executed in Cannibal Holocaust than the animal slaughters. Not that I'm interested in defending the latter but the former being absent from the conversation every time I read it is insane to me and dare I say... Implies that WE are the real cannibals.
Not that the former isn't objectionable, but it's also repurposed footage, is it not? The latter was done specifically for the movie. I get why that pushes people's buttons more.*

Not that the former isn't objectionable, but it's also repurposed footage, is it not? The latter was done specifically for the movie. I get why that pushes people's buttons more.*
I think filming the slaughter of animals that were then eaten by the natives is less objectionable (I eat meat and have no delusions about factory farming, as I'm sure most of those getting up in arms about it do) than cynically using footage of actual humans being executed on screen.*

I've never once seen it brought up by anyone other than me. I'd be more amenable to a sliding scale of offense if anyone else even seemed to care at all.*

Not giving a **** that a filmmaker thought "I'll show you a real human life being ended by the firing squad of a brutal regime and have a character say "it's fake" for some cheeky idea about violence on TV" but the masses getting up in arms about a pig getting shot and a turtle and a couple monkeys getting swiftly decapitated (and later eaten) by the folks that eat like that...*

I dunno. The values seem skewed at best.

I think filming the slaughter of animals that were then eaten by the natives is less objectionable (I eat meat and have no delusions about factory farming, as I'm sure most of those getting up in arms about it do) than cynically using footage of actual humans being executed on screen.*

I've never once seen it brought up by anyone other than me. I'd be more amenable to a sliding scale of offense if anyone else even seemed to care at all.*

Not giving a **** that a filmmaker thought "I'll show you a real human life being ended by the firing squad of a brutal regime and have a character say "it's fake" for some cheeky idea about violence on TV" but the masses getting up in arms about a pig getting shot and a turtle and a couple monkeys getting swiftly decapitated (and later eaten) by the folks that eat like that...*

I mention it in that old write-up I posted, and it's always gotten under my skin more than the animal killings. However, I think part of the reason people rarely bring it up is because they simply don't realize that those executions are real, perhaps because the characters in the film claim that the footage is staged and viewers naively believe them.

I mention it in that old write-up I posted, and it's always gotten under my skin more than the animal killings. However, I think part of the reason people rarely bring it up is because they simply don't realize that those executions are real, perhaps because the characters in the film claim that the footage is staged and viewers naively believe them.
Oh snap!

Brother!

Add me to the people who didn't realize that. And yeah, I also thought that the animal cruelty aspect of the film has been blown out of proportion.

Victim of The Night

Ah, well, by the turtle scene, I was on point in skipping, the system I have allows me to pause and just drag forward until I don't see turtle anymore, which is what I did. Yes, I was horrified... to be clear, f#cking horrified, by the 2 or 3 seconds I saw, but that's all I saw and I just assumed it didn't linger for too long. I may have been wrong.
There is apparently a print out there that just cuts those scenes out, I have heard. I cut them out myself, in that way. But I knew that was coming so I was braced for what very very little I saw.

Victim of The Night
Yeah, I'm just not sure I understand what Wooley means by "...I mostly skipped them but that was really just a few seconds of the movie" when, considering the turtle sequence, that isn't the case. I don't know if he means that the film doesn't contain any more than a few seconds of animal cruelty in total or something else.
Hopefully, I have clarified in the above post. I did not watch the turtle seen. I did not.

If you knew me IRL, you'd know that had I been present during the filming of that scene the turtle would have been injured but everyone involved in harming it would have been laid to f#cking waste.

Victim of The Night
Wait, wut?

Victim of The Night

Well, I also, even as a doctor, actually because I'm a doctor I'm sure (I've seen SO many people actually die), have a pretty philosophical attitude about humans dying, but can't do the same for animals. An animal being harmed seems like a greater crime to me because they are in no way part of the system that is harming them. There's a greater innocence.

Victim of The Night
And you are right, until this conversation right now, I had no idea that those executions were real.

Hopefully, I have clarified in the above post. I did not watch the turtle seen. I did not.

If you knew me IRL, you'd know that had I been present during the filming of that scene the turtle would have been injured but everyone involved in harming it would have been laid to f#cking waste.
Aye, I see what you mean. Sorry if my responses to you up above sounded judgmental. For what it's worth, the uncut turtle scene lasts around 5 minutes, btw.

An animal being harmed seems like a greater crime to me because they are in no way part of the system that is harming them. There's a greater innocence.
I in no way condone the killing of animals for entertainment, especially in such a sadistic fashion, but there's no innocence in nature. Nature is brutal and, unlike humans, completely indifferent to suffering.

*Herzog emoji*

Victim of The Night
Aye, I see what you mean. Sorry if my responses to you up above sounded judgmental. For what it's worth, the uncut turtle scene lasts around 5 minutes, btw.
No, I could understand where you were coming from.