A Song For January

Tools    

1. Birdy - Surrender
2. Meg Myers - Jealous Sea
3. George Strait - Famous Last Words Of A Fool
4. The Allman Brothers Band - Please Call Home
5. Alphaville - Big In Japan
6. Cody Jinks - Ain't A Train
7. yeah yeah yeahs - heads will roll (remix)

yeah yeah yeahs - heads will roll (remix)
Cody Jinks - Ain't A Train - dope violin part. if only it's not country.
Alphaville - Big In Japan
Birdy - Surrender
The Allman Brothers Band - Please Call Home
George Strait - Famous Last Words Of A Fool
Meg Myers - Jealous Sea

i feel at fault to post meme song in this round xD

A system of cells interlinked
1 Meg Myers - Jealous Sea - Love me some Meg, but you all already knew that.

2 The Allman Brothers Band - Please Call Home - Not a big fan of these guys, but this is excellent.

3 Birdy - Surrender - Also really good. Pretty, lilting voice.

4 Alphaville - Big In Japan - Pretty cool

5 yeah yeah yeahs - heads will roll (remix) - Praise the Sun!

6 George Strait - Famous Last Words Of A Fool - Into that twang I can't get into

7 Cody Jinks - Ain't A Train - Same

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Sadly no votes from Derek this round but time's up and onward we must go....

1st - Bic Runga - Sway (39 pts)

Congratulations @Chypmunk!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
1) George Strait - Famous Last Words Of A Fool
2) Birdy - Surrender
3) Cody Jinks - Ain't A Train
4) The Allman Brothers Band - Please Call Home
5) Meg Myers - Jealous Sea
6) Alphaville - Big In Japan
7) yeah yeah yeahs - heads will roll (remix)

Let the night air cool you off
1. George Strait - Famous Last Words Of A Fool
2. Cody Jinks - Ain't A Train
3. The Allman Brothers Band - Please Call Home
4. Alphaville - Big In Japan
5. Birdy - Surrender
6. Meg Myers - Jealous Sea
7. yeah yeah yeahs - heads will roll (remix)

The Allman Brothers Band: Other than "Ramblin' Man", which is brilliant, I haven't listen to much ABB. I know they have a classic live album that's supposed to be an awesome jam session album. I enjoy southern/roots style rock, but I haven't invested much time in learning all about it. This track is pretty smooth and the vocals remind me a lot of Skynyrd.

Birdy: This song feels like it shouldn't be from 2021, but from a time much earlier. At least her voice and singing style do, it reminds me of something I can put my finger on. The production feels modern, but not necessarily in a bad way. It stays out of the way mostly.

Meg Myers: Speaking of modern productions, except this is the modern production I'm not too in love with. I am going to eventually have to figure out if it is that I just don't think the productions any good, in that I don't think it sounds very good or has soul or whatever, or that I'm just never in the mood for it, or if I am just currently tired of it. I'm not a historian or anything, but a lot of this production sounds like it's aping the production of The Weeknd's music from early 2010s. Maybe I'm just spewing nonsense. I don't know. This is an okay modern pop song. Meg Myers clearly has charisma, but I don't know if I'm getting that from the song or the video.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs: I expected a real YYY song, so I was sort of looking forward to it. I think maybe I'm just not part of the meme/video game/whatever this is culture that would understand how or why this is entertaining. I'm well aware that that is just me being an old, out-of-touch curmudgeon.

Cody Jinks: This is already a pretty solid country song when the fiddle solo kicks in, then hot damn that fiddle player gets after it. The fiddle player is Billy Contreras. I need to remember the name and look for it when I hear a fiddle.

Alphaville: Fun, can't complain. Reminds me that I really need to see the film the band take their name from. And actually, the longer the song goes, the more it is growing on me.

George Strait: Maybe this is catching me at the right/wrong time, but because of the personal connection I have with George Strait and what he has meant to my family and I when I was growing up, I am honestly in tears listening to this right now. I'm remembering being a child, having my mother still. How happy we were to go see him at Texas Stadium. Having his tapes from the Strait Out of the Box box set. I've heard this song a million times, but it is impossible for me to just rank this or score it based on the song in a vacuum. This reminds me of my childhood, and it kinda broke my heart tonight.

Alphaville - Big In Japan - I always liked this song, even as a child. But when you grow up and really hear it, it's so pitiful and pathetic it hurts. Somehow that enhances the whole thing and elevates it to a favourite I doubt I'll ever grow sick of.

The Allman Brothers Band - Please Call Home - Whilst loving Lynyrd Skynyrd I've never really looked about for much else in that Southern Rock with a country vibe genre. Liked this though, so maybe that'll change soon?

Birdy - Surrender - This really reminds me of a Eurovision ballad, but I can't remeber which. Also can't decide on whether it nearly sounds like it's trying or it actually is trying to be radio friendly but not quite making it? I like it though.

George Strait - Famous Last Words Of A Fool - It's slow mournful country. Typical but maybe I'm getting used to it? Or maybe it's just that it's playing after Big In Japan, but it's working a little better for me than usual.

Meg Myers - Jealous Sea - This just isn't working for me. Not really sure what it's missing, but it definitely doesn't have it.

Cody Jinks - Ain't A Train - It was there and then it finished. I really don't have much else to say about it. Won't be last though.

yeah yeah yeahs - heads will roll (remix) - OK. I don't what that was or what it was meant to be. As no one's mentioned it I'm assuming it's the right video. So I'll just call it last place and leave it at that.

All voted

1st - Birdy - Surrender (34 pts)

2nd - The Allman Brothers Band - Please Call Home (33 pts)
3rd - George Strait - Famous Last Words Of A Fool (30 pts)
4th - Meg Myers - Jealous Sea (29 pts)
5th - Cody Jinks - Ain't A Train (28 pts)
6th - Alphaville - Big In Japan (27 pts)
7th - yeah yeah yeahs - heads will roll (remix) (15 pts)

Congrats to Tugg on getting one through to the Final

The last qualifying round will be up in't morning (20 hours or thereabouts for those still thinking of a nom)....

Yeah Yeah Yeahs: I expected a real YYY song, so I was sort of looking forward to it. I think maybe I'm just not part of the meme/video game/whatever this is culture that would understand how or why this is entertaining. I'm well aware that that is just me being an old, out-of-touch curmudgeon.
maybe this will adds some context

Having to put this up a little early today. The good news - Captain Spaulding is back in

Brother Dege - Yellabone

asian kung-fu generation - rashinban

Loudness - Let it Go

Mustard ft. Roddy Ricch - Ballin’

Aretha Franklin - Amazing Grace

Ultravox - Vienna

Hellbound Glory - 'Merica (The Good Ole U.S.A.)

River Road - I Broke It, I'll Fix It

Please rank from 1 (your favourite) to 8 (your least favourite).
This round will stay open for voting until 9am GMT on 31st January.

Nominations are now CLOSED for this tourney