Best Picture Hall of Fame Part 2

Tools    

The trick is not minding
Here are the 7! I will update the front page and add pictures after the ceremony!

Gandhi
Platoon
Unforgiven
Braveheart
American Beauty
The Departed
The King's Speech
Nice! I have seen all of these and even own 5 of them.

I’ve seen two of these, including my own nomination!

Are we allowed to say what our nomination is?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Are we ready for the 7 nominees?
Abso-toot-ley!

Pretty fun list! Seen five out of the seven and love the ones I've seen

Gandhi One of two I haven't seen, but often wanted to; so YAY
Platoon Loved this since I saw it at the theater. Been a while, so definitely time for a revisit
Unforgiven VERY good Eastwood western that gives us a view into the gunslinger decades later
Braveheart Another HUGE favorite
American Beauty Another big favorite of mine. Seen it countless times. Very happy to see it again
The Departed While I do prefer the original Infernal Affairs from Hong Kong this is STILL a solid film.
The King's Speech This is my nomination and its a Blind Grab that I've been dying to see but just never had the chance.

I've seen 5 of 7.

Gandhi
... My nom...and I've not seen it, but I love historical time period films so it might be to my liking.

Platoon
...I've always hoped we could do a HoF war series, one HoF for each major war conflict I've seen this before and liked it, even reviewed it. But that was a number of years ago so I'll rewatch it and review it without reading my old review.

Unforgiven...Seen it once, thought it was great. I was planning on watching it again so glad it was nominated here.

Braveheart...I've seen this several times, I use to love it, not sure what I'd think of it now.

American Beauty...Seen it once long ago, though it was good, I do like Kevin Spacey as an actor.

The Departed...Not seen it and I'm not a fan of Scorsese's crime films. Though I'm a fan of the director. I'm glad it was nominated.

The King's Speech...Seen it when it first came out, really liked it. Everybody who I told about it, loved it too.

Legend in my own mind
Some great films there. Excited by this

Gandhi Never seen it

Platoon Powerful film. One of the best war films that I have seen.

Unforgiven Another that I love. Superb from Clint, both sides of the camera.

Braveheart I liked this but have always had issues with the historical innacuracies and with Gibson and his anti English agenda. Another where the lead is also the director. Will try and watch with neautral eyes.

American Beauty Never really appealed to me but I know that it is highly rated. Not sure how recent revelations will affect my viewing.

The Departed

The King's Speech Great acting but found it a bit boring. We will see what I think this time.

Can't wait to get started.

Gandhi
... My nom...and I've not seen it, but I love historical time period films so it might be to my liking.[I.
I'm with you on those kinds of movies. Love 'em. Gandhi is often cited as one of the weaker BP winners and I don't get it. I thought it was one of the better ones and Kingsley is amazing. One of the best performances ever.

Glad to see The Departed get nommed. I’m also glad I chose to sit this out and am not obligated to watch Braveheart or American Beauty again.

...Are we allowed to say what our nomination is?
Well me, Ed & Wyldesyde already did. So you might as well fess up

Braveheart
I liked this but have always had issues with the historical innacuracies and with Gibson and his anti English agenda. Another where the lead is also the director. Will try and watch with neautral eyes.
I never heard of Mel Gibson being accused of anti-Englishism, or did you mean his character in Braveheart?

I almost went blind nom with Mrs. Miniver. But I didn't want to be the only old nommer.
I wish you would've I love that movie.

I actually like Rain Man.
I'm surprised by that, I would've though you would have found Dustin Hoffman annoying.

Legend in my own mind
Well me, Ed & Wyldesyde already did. So you might as well fess up

I never heard of Mel Gibson being accused of anti-Englishism, or did you mean his character in Braveheart?

I wish you would've I love that movie.

I'm surprised by that, I would've though you would have found Dustin Hoffman annoying.
I am certain that if he could have gave the Roman soldiers in the Passion of the Christ English accents he would have.

In all seriousness, It was largely tongue in cheek but with Braveheart, closely followed by the Patriot he just took it upon himself to show how nasty the English were. He of course does have a point.

The historical innacuracies of Braveheart though are not something I can overlook. Yes its a good film, but the fact he uses real people and real events and shows no faithfulness to history, didn't sit well with me. He could have just made characters up instead.

My nomination was American Beauty, and of the nominations I’ve seen only that and Unforgiven.

The trick is not minding
...Are we allowed to say what our nomination is?
Well me, Ed & Wyldesyde already did. So you might as well fess up.
I haven’t confessed yet actually. 😜
Platoon is my pick however

My nomination was American Beauty, and of the nominations I’ve seen only that and Unforgiven.
I've seen all of them, but I remember almost nothing about Ghandi because I had to watch that back in high school and haven't seen it since.

I love The Departed, hate Braveheart, dislike American Beauty, and am fairly indifferent to the rest. I'll be keeping an eye on this to see how The Departed fares.

I am certain that if he could have gave the Roman soldiers in the Passion of the Christ English accents he would have.

In all seriousness, It was largely tongue in cheek but with Braveheart, closely followed by the Patriot he just took it upon himself to show how nasty the English were. He of course does have a point.

The historical innacuracies of Braveheart though are not something I can overlook. Yes its a good film, but the fact he uses real people and real events and shows no faithfulness to history, didn't sit well with me. He could have just made characters up instead.
Ack, that sounds like nationalism. Somewhere in Oz there's another guy on another movie board complaining about some British actor and his accent.

This time around I'll also be comparing the winners to their nominees from the same year, just for a nice spark and debate.
Weren't you going to post the movie posters and who nominated them? Or did I miss that post.