Swan's 2017 Movie Adventures

→ in
Tools    

I was a bit disappointed with that one - and I love Flanagan.
Yeah I know. Bums me out, 'cause it seems like one you'd like.

Friday the 13th -

(Sean S. Cunningham, 1980)

[REWATCH]

I was super eager to see this again because I thought it would resonate more with me now, based on how my taste in horror has evolved (or devolved, depending on how you look at it ). And while it technically does conform to that taste in many ways, what kills this flick and keeps me from outright loving it is how the large majority of the middle section is so damn slow. I felt like nothing was really happening for much of it. Fortunately, it’s saved by the final fifteen minutes, which are absolutely iconic. I also love the poster for it, which is one of the best horror posters of all time. Alas, I do think I prefer some later entries in the franchise, with the fourth, fifth, and sixth ones being the highlight section of the franchise for me (say what you will about five, it’s a blast).

Oh well. At least it’s better than…

Friday the 13th -

(Marcus Nispel, 2009)

[REWATCH]

I have seen this one once, a long time ago, but still had no real opinion on it. I was hopeful this time around because my friend is a fan of it. However, right off the bat I notice it’s directed by Marcus Nispel, who did the absolutely abysmal Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. I’ll admit this is better than that flick. I’ll admit I was having some fun for much of the beginning, which is really all I wanted. Then it just devolved into boring passionless BS that made me really resent it in it’s entirety. Not a fan.

Only watched three Friday The 13th films; part 1, 2 and Jason Takes Manhattan. The latter is one of the worst films i've ever seen (i found a dvd of it on a bus ), i thought the first two were alright preferred the second.

Only watched three Friday The 13th films; part 1, 2 and Jason Takes Manhattan. The latter is one of the worst films i've ever seen (i found a dvd of it on a bus ), i thought the first two were alright preferred the second.
Manhattan and Goes to Hell are the worst, in my opinion.

Might try and watch some of them when i'm in the mood for horror. I've also heard the fourth one described as the best one by quite a few people.

Oh, i've also seen Freddy vs Jason when i was 13 or something and really liked it, doubt i would now though.

I actually like Freddy vs. Jason a lot. When I was a kid, I read the script and then watched the movie right after, and really enjoyed that experience. So there is definitely a nostalgic factor for me. It's a lot of fun though.

Manhattan and Goes to Hell are the worst, in my opinion.
I watched Jason Takes Manhattan a week or so ago. Almost wrote a review for it. I think it's my favorite one. It has a lot of energy, it's fun, Jason is really brutal, high body count, and it does something different for once with the whole boat thing and going to New York.

My biggest complaint about it is probably the ending -- where they kill Jason in the sewer. Could have had a better ending.

Whoa, really? I'm surprised. Guess I'll have to try it again some time.

Whoa, really? I'm surprised. Guess I'll have to try it again some time.
There's a lot of consensus with Jason Takes Manhattan. People like to bash it. I've bashed it before, too. But I've been reexamining those movies over the years - they all have their pros and cons. I really liked the first Friday the 13th the last time I watched it, and in the past, I thought it was really slow, like you said. Friday the 13th part 2 was really good on Blu-ray. Part 3 is an old favorite of mine, but I need to watch it again. Part 4 and Part 5 are good. Part 6 is good, but it gets a lot of praise, and I've just never felt that strongly about it. Still good, though. Part 7... I definitely can say Part 8 is better than 7. But Part 8... Jason Takes Manhattan... I really enjoyed it and when it was over, I thought -- I think this is my favorite.

The rest of them I need to watch again. Jason Goes to Hell is... interesting. I don't hate it, but I think it was a big mistake to do that plot where Jason keeps changing bodies and could be anybody. For the LAST Jason movie, why the Hell would you do that? You see the masked Jason for maybe 5 minutes. Big mistake.

The thing about six is it's the first time you see zombie Jason, which is my fave Jason because he's so badass. The movie isn't as good as some of the others though - I agree it's a bit overrated.

I didn't bash it because other people did, when i first saw it i was only 12 or something and didn't have a clue what the consensus on Jason films were. Glad you liked it, i don't though.

I definitely try to watch this stuff with an open mind, because a lot of good ones do get treated unfairly. I don't remember liking Manhattan at all, but who knows how it will fair upon rewatch.

The thing about six is it's the first time you see zombie Jason, which is my fave Jason because he's so badass. The movie isn't as good as some of the others though - I agree it's a bit overrated.
To me, Jason is not a zombie. I know what you're saying, but I don't really think of him as "zombie Jason" in the later films. Jason is just a man who can't die. He can be "turned off" for awhile, but can't die.

To me, Jason is not a zombie. I know what you're saying, but I don't really think of him as "zombie Jason" in the later films. Jason is just a man who can't die. He can be "turned off" for awhile, but can't die.
I was talking to my friends about this. He was always something otherworldy/supernatural, but in a kind of ambiguous, unsupernatural way, if that makes sense. Like none of it is really explained. I love that. Like, in the first one he supposedly drowned, but then he's still alive and it's just not really explained what's going on.

I definitely try to watch this stuff with an open mind, because a lot of good ones do get treated unfairly. I don't remember liking Manhattan at all, but who knows how it will fair upon rewatch.
Try not to hate the fact that it's called Jason Takes Manhattan, but most of the movie takes place on a boat. That's usually the biggest gripe people have. It's understandable, but... I see the boat as a place where the characters develop... while they're still alive. Eventually they do make it to New York, and while it's not a lot of New York, it's still Jason in New York. Fresh off the boat. Immigrant Jason, landing in New York.

I was talking to my friends about this. He was always something otherworldy/supernatural, but in a kind of ambiguous, unsupernatural way, if that makes sense. Like none of it is really explained. I love that. Like, in the first one he supposedly drowned, but then he's still alive and it's just not really explained what's going on.
It's a curse. That's what's going on. I feel this is even established in the first movie. It's all about being unlucky, like how Friday the 13th is an unlucky day. The victims are all unlucky to be at Crystal Lake, which is cursed. First, Jason drowns - unlucky. Then, Jason's mom kills the unlucky kids. Then the curse gets worse because Jason is still alive, and he kills people, and he can't die. The way to understand it, I think, is to see it all as a curse. Crystal Lake is cursed.

Even the TV show in the '80s - Friday the 13th: The Series - dealt with cursed objects.