re93animator's Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

+rep for U-Turn and Misery.

It's been a long time since I've seen Misery, but I do remember it being very good.
Love U-Turn - especially the parts with Toby N. Tucker, of course.

I love Mulhollan Drive and Misery. Two intensely creepy films and some of the best of there decades. I would give both a

70. Dead Man (1995)

69. One, Two, Three (1961)

68. Letters From a Dead Man (1986)
A world lies in ruins as the result of an ongoing nuclear war, and the survivors must face intense moral dilemmas along the way. Pretty standard post-apocalyptic plot, but it’s presented in a disturbingly realistic way. All is shown entirely through color tints with amazing apocalyptic scenery.
Here are some stills.

67. Se7en (1995)

66. Stalag 17 (1953)

65. The Long Goodbye (1973)
This probably wouldn’t even have come close to making the list if it weren’t for Elliott Gould as a deadbeat, outdated, but still suave Philip Marlowe. My pick for coolest character in movie history.

64. Big Trouble in Little China (1986)

63. Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972)

62. The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)
A sort of screwball comedy about a poor joe getting scammed by a corporation in an attempt to manipulate the stock market. Very funny, but what sets it apart is some over-the-top steampunk-ish decor (inspired by Brazil). It'd be ridiculously out of place in any ordinary film about the stock market, but it works wonders here.

61. Dracula (1992)
It’s ambitious and experimental. It’s loaded with detail, and the tone seems to be all over the place, making it feel convoluted. That’s the reason I love it though. It’s Hollywood melodrama on crack.

Se7en is an amazing crime thriller one of my favorite from the 90s. The Long Goodbye is in my top ten, it's by far my favorite Altman. Near perfect. Aguirre was extremely well made, but isn't one that I enjoye personally. It's quality film making though.

+rep for Se7en.

I've seen Dead Man several times and have it in my collection, but I still can't decide if I actually like it.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God is excellent its one of my favorite movies. I love Herzog, Even Dwarfs Started Small, Stroszek and Nosferatu are eminent movies.

Dead Man by Jarmusch is also

I think Se7en is a great film. I saw Big Trouble in Little China once at the movies when I was 15, and remember not liking it. I saw Stalag 17 once when I was young and remember thinking it was awesome; I'd like to see it again. Haven't seen the rest.

60. Vampyr (1932)

59. Fortress (1992)

58. Avalon (2001)
From Mamoru Oshii, who is primarily known for work in anime, comes one of those sci-fi films that feels like it takes place in another universe. This film even looks animated at times, accentuated by heavily diffused light alteration. Since it was made in 2001, it gets flooded with inevitable Matrix comparisons, but Avalon has a much more deadpan, art house-esque approach that’ll most likely disappoint those looking for another Matrix cash in.

I advise against the Miramax version. For some reason, they thought it’d be a good idea to tamper with the film’s predominant color tint (green to orange), and they also ended up mistakenly mixing up two subtitle tracks, so unnecessary dialogue occasionally pops up, obviously making the plot jumbled and confusing.

57. The Cameraman (1928)

56. One Point O (2004)
…and yet another overlooked modern sci-fi movie with a unique dystopic atmosphere, and an engaging enough story.

55. Evil Dead II (1987)
Quasi-remake that really ups the ante for tongue in cheek horror, and adds even more much needed self-awareness and splatstick. Horror purists may only begrudgingly accept the shift in tone from the original, but I think this is really where the frantic Evil Dead formula is perfected.

54. The Trial (1962)

53. High Plains Drifter (1973)
With an unusually supernatural tone and an anti-hero that’s actually pretty easy to dislike, this has gotta be Eastwood’s darkest and most atypical western. And being one of his earlier works as a director, most would say it’s very in touch with his spaghetti western side.

52. Night and the City (1950)
Not taking anything away from the quality of the movie itself, but it’s really Richard Widmark’s scene stealing performance that carries this to the next level. That notwithstanding, this is still an incredibly entertaining noir with an abundance of great suspense.

51. Santa Sangre (1989)

I recently watched The Trial and it was genuinely impressive. for that

I also recently watched Vampyr and it was genuinely dissapointing.

Evil Dead II is good, but Army of Darkness is easily the best of the series.
I disagree, but then, I don't know what's so good about the series. I wonder, if the more you are of the third film, the more of a fan of the series you are?

50. Apocalypse Now (1979)

49. Blood and Black Lace (1964)

48. They Live (1988)

47. Paris, Texas (1984)
Maybe not the type of movie most would expect to crack my top 50. While most relationship-oriented dramas have a tough time catching my interest, this one (with all of its offbeat charm and wonderful scenery) keeps me emotionally engaged.

46. Vincent (1982)
The style is very representative for Tim Burton's early stuff, but the writing and narration are what really elevate it, even to the point where it’s surprisingly charming for an ode to Vincent Price and classic horror.

45. Nightmare Alley (1947)

44. Visitor of a Museum (1989)
I think this is the most overlooked film on here. It’s sort of similar to The Element of Crime and Stalker, and seems reminiscent of Tarkovsky in spirit. It’s not graphically violent, but the atmosphere is very disturbing (accentuated by almost constant fire in the background, very heavy shadows, and a red-ish tint for much of the film). Calling it hellish would be grossly understated. The plot itself isn’t too difficult to follow, but leaves much to be interpreted, and goes through similar PA themes of coping with a world of disease, suffering and whatnot.

43. Until the End of the World (1991)
I’m not typically one to tout how epic a film is, but I can’t think of a more appropriate label for this. The lengthy story goes through bits of noir, comedy, romance, thriller, drama and sci-fi. Admittedly, with so many styles, characters, and settings, it may seem like throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks, but the odd diversity is fascinating.

The heavily condensed version (which is still 2 ½ hours) feels more like a collage of scenarios that somewhat coherently fit together than a standalone movie. Some might say that it makes it more interesting, and leaves out unnecessary footage, but I'd say that the 5 hour version is the best way to really understand it.

42. Frankenstein (1931)

41. Total Recall (1990)