The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I haven't seen The Dark Valley, I hadn't even heard of it before.
I of course love Oklahoma!, but didn't vote for it, as I kept my list to core westerns.

Oklahoma! (1955)

Director: Fred Zinnemann
Writers: Sonya Levien & William Ludwig (screenplay), Rodgers and Hammerstein (play)
Cast: Gordon MacRae, Shirely Jones, Gloria Grahame, Gene Nelson, Eddie Albert, Rod Steiger, Charolette Greenwood

In the territory of Oklahoma sometime before 1907 a cowboy tries to win a girl's heart only to find an ill-tempered farm hand has ideas for her. Meanwhile another cowboy wants to marry another farmer's daughter, only this girl can't make up her mind about which guy she likes. CR

Oklahoma!, is one of the great musicals of all time. Based on the wildly successful 1943 stage play of the same name by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein. It took nearly 10 years of negotiations to get Rodgers and Hammerstein to agree to sell the play rights. What made them change their minds was a new film process...and it's personable and determined inventor, Mike Todd.

Mike Todd was co founder of Todd-AO along with American Optical. Rodgers and Hammerstein was so impressed with the new 70mm ultra wide screen process, that they agreed to partner with Todd-AO and create Magna Picture Corporation. Thus they sold the rights to Oklahoma! but insured that they still kept creative control.

The movie was shot in two different processes...Wide screen CinemaScope which used 35mm prints and a special anamorphic camera lens to create a wide image...and the new Todd-AO which used large 65mm film and ultra wide angle lens to produce a 70mm print. The interesting thing about this is both cameras were not used at the same time, instead they had to shoot a scene, then reshoot the scene with the next camera. This resulted in two very similar but different films.

Luckily for film fans, the 50th anniversary DVD has both the CinemaScope and the Todd-AO 70mm versions. Though only the CinemaScope version was restored...and it looks beautiful!

But what about the movie? What can I say that hasn't been said? The cast is great! This was Shirley Jones's first movie and she's paired with Gordon MacRae. Shirley Jones is charming in this and the pair can really sing up a storm! A second romantic pairing is with Gloria Grahame of noir movie fame with Gene Nelson. Gloria is a hoot as the silly farm girl who can't say no to boys! She sings her own numbers too, and with her distinctive voice it really comes across as personable and funny. I loved her music numbers.

Charlotte Greenwood and Eddie Albert also have some plum roles and add a lot of spice to this fun musical. But what is really weird is, Rod Steiger is in this movie. Steiger is one of the great dramatic actors and he plays a nasty heavy here. His character is suppose to be so unhinged that he once burnt a family alive because the daughter jilted him. He's hell bent to get young Laurey (Shirley Jones) and goes as far as trying to stick a knive in the eye of poor Gordon MacRae. It's an oddly dark character for a musical but then again it makes Oklahoma! so memorable.

The dream sequence number is another unique scene that uses different actors to play the lead roles, except Rod Steiger is also in the dream (which makes it all the more unusual). The staging and choreography of the dream sequences is excellent, though it seems like you're watching a completely different movie.

Oklahoma!
has some of the most beloved songs of any musical and some really great choreographed numbers. My favorite was Many a New Day.

I'm ready to watch this again!

A 4.5 didn't make Citizen Rules' list... dang that man has watched a lot of Westerns...

Only my top 5 got 4.5, but he had over 25 4.5's....

Welcome to the human race...
Gonna watch The Dark Valley so I can see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps.

A 4.5 didn't make Citizen Rules' list... dang that man has watched a lot of Westerns...

Only my top 5 got 4.5, but he had over 25 4.5's....
I included westerns on my list that were 4s and maybe even some that were 3.5++

I didn't include Oklahoma! because I had so many westerns in consideration that I had to narrow down the field. So what I did was, not include any westerns that were also: musicals, comedies, modern settings, or set in foreign countries (except Canada or Mexico). Though I'm glad Oklahoma! made the list.

Dang it... Missed 9 pages.

I haven't seen any of these. Since I have seen the only the "popular" ones, I don't think I will get one of mine, before the counter hits 50. But I am curious to see where Ox Bow Incident ends up. It's one of my favourites, but doesn't get the loving!

At least it wasn't on the one pointer list!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
But I am curious to see where Ox Bow Incident ends up. It's one of my favourites, but doesn't get the loving!

At least it wasn't on the one pointer list!
Since it got to #39 on the 1940s list, I would be fairly certain it will place here.

Oh don't thank me yet I could almost guarantee you would like it better than Music Man
Considering that I don’t think I’ve ever hated a movie more than I hated The Music Man, that’s not saying much.

I think I will plonk my list here once the countdown reaches #1.

So I guess I watched Oklahoma in 2016. I remarked that it had too many musical numbers for my taste but otherwise I liked it. 3 out of 5 popcorns is a high rating for me to give to a musical. When Miss Vicky hosts the musical countdown and I refresh my memory, there's probably a good chance it'll make my ballot for that.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
like so many, I'm definitely curious about Dark Valley. It may be put on the top of my Rectification List.
Never saw Oklahoma!. Not yet, anyway.

Movies Watched 2 out of 10 (20%)

I included westerns on my list that were 4s and maybe even some that were 3.5++

I didn't include Oklahoma! because I had so many westerns in consideration that I had to narrow down the field. So what I did was, not include any westerns that were also: musicals, comedies, modern settings, or set in foreign countries (except Canada or Mexico). Though I'm glad Oklahoma! made the list.
Oh I see, well that makes sense. Due to the problems I was having, I got myself into some trouble (as I'm sure many are aware). So I had to turn my list in a little prematurely. I would have knocked off my bottom movie, and possibly either my second or third lowest (I was debating), in favor of a few movies who were contending for the spots. Although, I probably would have knocked them all off in favor of a few of the four movies I was planning to watch on the last day. But still, it was a massive improvement over what I started with. Before the countdown, and the two HoF's I participated in, I was struggling to come up with ten Westerns I could even submit, and I think only two or three of those made my final list.

I did manage to re-watch one of my favorites since it had been years since I originally watched it and I'd only seen it once. So I was able to confidently decide my number 1 and number 2 spots. I can't wait to see where they turn up on the countdown.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Oklahoma! is the first title to make our countdown with a full 25-point first place vote.
I was the one who had Oklahoma! as #1 on my list. It's been one of my all-time favorite musicals for as long as I can remember. It's sad to see it so low on this countdown. It deserves better. (If the Musicals HoF had started before this countdown, Oklahoma! probably would have been my nom.)

I would have also had the 1999 version of Oklahoma! starring Hugh Jackman on my list, but I didn't think it was eligible because it's not a movie, or a TV movie. It's a stage play filmed for television. But it's just as good, if not better than the original movie.

My list so far:
1) Oklahoma! (1955)
12) North to Alaska (1960)
25) Incredible Rocky Mountain Race (TV Movie - 1977)

Slow West (2015)

This easily would have made my top 10 if I'd heard of it in time. The patient pace, subtle and sometimes artful arrangement of detail, distinct and interesting characters, and purposeful violence were near perfection. Though the romance was somber, it promoted everything good and beautiful in life. The dialogue at times was poetic. I liked how the character, Jay, described the girl he loved, Rose, as "never wasting words", and "speaking with wisdom following wit."

I was the one who had Oklahoma! as #1 on my list. It's been one of my all-time favorite musicals for as long as I can remember. It's sad to see it so low on this countdown. It deserves better. (If the Musicals HoF had started before this countdown, Oklahoma! probably would have been my nom.)
If we ever do a Music/Musical Top 100 Countdown...Oklahoma! might very well be my #1 movie.