Re93animator's Music Thread

Tools    

I've been making music for a few years now, and wanted to finally bite the bullet & make this thread to start sharing a bit. Odd, forlorn experimental music mostly. This means a lot to me, so any sharing comes with a great deal of reluctance and vulnerability. I don’t expect my tastes to line up with most others’, but if I can communicate a bit of the feeling that I have making it all, I’ll be happy.

I had no musical experience growing up, so most of my knowledge of theory, sound design, & production is self-administered and crammed into the past few years. I’m sure there’s plenty of fault to be found, but I work harder on it than anything else. Whether it’s any good is impossible for me to gauge. The best thing I can say is that I try to make it honest, and I never really have to force myself to do it. It’s a comfortable obsession; getting absorbed in it takes no discipline on my part, and the yields give me more fulfillment than anything else.

https://soundcloud.com/wtfom/set-free

https://soundcloud.com/wtfom/gnostical-turpitude

This was long overdue. You're crazy talented and it's about time you showcased it. As Gulf said, keep at it.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Glad you posted. Really nice stuff up there

Just FYI, but Spitfire Audio and HBO are hosting a competition to score a scene from HBO's series, Westworld. I posted a shout with a link, but I'm sure it's since been swallowed whole into oblivion. I haven't read anywhere where it's a requirement to use their software. In fact, the prize is their software library. Check it out. Sounds right up your alley.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Very nice! What kind of equipment are you using? Synthesizer, or other?

Keep it up. You're on to something.
Thank you. I mainly use synthesizers, sample libraries, isolated samples, VST plug ins, & my own recordings.

This was long overdue. You're crazy talented and it's about time you showcased it. As Gulf said, keep at it.
Thank you. Your support a while ago gave me a lot of encouragement.

Glad you posted. Really nice stuff up there

Just FYI, but Spitfire Audio and HBO are hosting a competition to score a scene from HBO's series, Westworld. I posted a shout with a link, but I'm sure it's since been swallowed whole into oblivion. I haven't read anywhere where it's a requirement to use their software. In fact, the prize is their software library. Check it out. Sounds right up your alley.
I'll look into this. Thank you. I've actually never scored to a scene before, so it sounds like a good learning experience as well as fun.

You ready? You look ready.
Finally.

@MonnoM is right. You are crazy talented.

And just remember that your music is an extension of yourself, and your music is deep. So yeah, carry on
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Really nice. I'm glad you're still keeping up with this stuff. Also, good to see you dude.

Finally.

@MonnoM is right. You are crazy talented.

And just remember that your music is an extension of yourself, and your music is deep. So yeah, carry on
Really nice. I'm glad you're still keeping up with this stuff. Also, good to see you dude.
Thank you both. I'll try to keep this thread active(-ish) for the foreseeable future.

Good to see you posting again too. I hope you're still making music, or at least pick up the bug again one day. It was exceptional.

You've a good ear for music- definitely keep it up

@re93animator

Mind me asking what got you into virtual instruments and how you settled on the samples you use?

@re93animator

Mind me asking what got you into virtual instruments and how you settled on the samples you use?

Not at all. I started almost entirely with synths, but always had an itch to cover a wide variety of genres and moods, so I started investing in sample libraries/instruments. At the moment, I'm using the EastWest composer cloud the most because I got it on sale. There are so many expensive options, but it's honestly hard for me to tell the difference between most (after $200-300, I think the law of diminishing returns kicks in). I also like making silly world music & rock, and the Composer Cloud covers a larger spectrum than any other options I know of.

I use some other stuff too (Kontakt variety, free vsts, and old Korg/Mellotron/CMI emulators & keyboards), but oftentimes I get burnt out from all these 'proper' sounds, and need to console myself with abstract sound design.

... At the moment, I'm using the EastWest composer cloud the most because I got it on sale. There are so many expensive options, but it's honestly hard for me to tell the difference between most (after $200-300, I think the law of diminishing returns kicks in)...

Yeah, I hear ya on costs. It's crazy. I've been passively reading and listening up on sample libraries for maybe two years now. I'm kind of obsessive like that =/ the good side of combing through clips and watching developers is that it takes forever for me to actually spend the money. Sucks when I do though.

E/W has been in the top 2 options for a few months now. They got a subscription service that has a ton of stuff but I'm not a fan of subscription software. The other is Spitfire. They just released a stripped down version of their BBC library for like 50 bucks. That's kind of crazy.

I've only got a few piano samples but I was incredibly surprised to first hear them through my keyboard. It was like playing a real piano. I can't imagine what it might be like hearing a viola.

Thanks for sharing your experience there. Technology is amazing. And thanks again for sharing your music. It is very much appreciated.

@re93animator WOW really impressed by both of these, and so cool to see fellow composers here! I've been mostly composing with traditional score/staff, etc. but this style of composing is more impressive in my opinion, really demonstrates whether someone has an ear for music or not - and you definitely do! Keep at it

Yeah, I hear ya on costs. It's crazy. I've been passively reading and listening up on sample libraries for maybe two years now. I'm kind of obsessive like that =/ the good side of combing through clips and watching developers is that it takes forever for me to actually spend the money. Sucks when I do though.
I relate to this. Choice overload is a thing more people should be aware of, and I think can often lead to less satisfaction and buyer's remorse. With this in mind, sometimes I deliberate on gear so long that I curb myself by losing interest and giving up (analysis paralysis).

E/W has been in the top 2 options for a few months now. They got a subscription service that has a ton of stuff but I'm not a fan of subscription software. The other is Spitfire. They just released a stripped down version of their BBC library for like 50 bucks. That's kind of crazy.
I saw that $50 one just yesterday. It lacks a legato option, but I'm sure the samples sound great. I used the (free) Spitfire Labs strings on the first track I posted. I also almost never buy anything at full price. So many sporadic sales throughout the year (esp. Black Friday). I don't like having to subscribe either, but I did for a year because I loved the ethnic stuff from EW. Spitfire, 8Dio, Orchestral Tools and the like are probably better for pure orchestral libraries, but the EW ones are plenty good for me.

I've only got a few piano samples but I was incredibly surprised to first hear them through my keyboard. It was like playing a real piano. I can't imagine what it might be like hearing a viola.
Yes. It's crazy to hear how far sampling has come. I still love older b-movie/campy TV show scores with unmistakable keyboard orchestras, but much of the time it's hard for me to tell nowadays. It's always fun playing an odd, everchanging assortment of instruments through a keyboard.

Thanks for sharing your experience there. Technology is amazing. And thanks again for sharing your music. It is very much appreciated.
Thank you!

@re93animator WOW really impressed by both of these, and so cool to see fellow composers here! I've been mostly composing with traditional score/staff, etc. but this style of composing is more impressive in my opinion, really demonstrates whether someone has an ear for music or not - and you definitely do! Keep at it
Thank you so much! I see many composer using sample libraries nowadays. It's a tremendous convenience to be able to hear a close approximation of the music as you write it. Being that I'm used to it, scoring on a staff & piano seems more impressive and daunting to me.

Bump, for great justice!
I've recently joined the VI-Control forums and saw a thread noting the Spitfire Spring Sale. I'm new to it, but apparently they usually do a wish list discount this time of year. This year they're just going to globally mark their prices down without the wishlist requirement. Should start on the 25th if you're interested. Some of them are commenting that discounts go be up to 40% off.

Also, casual reminded of the Spitfire/HBO Westworld Scoring Competition! I've been following a few submissions with YouTube. Interesting stuff out there. I think the deadline is June 3 if interested. I've started something last night but wow this is a slow process noodling around until something gets my attention. And even that is still pretty basic stuff. Much respect for your compositions again, now with a different perspective! And thanks/grats again, for creating this thread sharing your work.

Bump, for great justice!
I've recently joined the VI-Control forums and saw a thread noting the Spitfire Spring Sale. I'm new to it, but apparently they usually do a wish list discount this time of year. This year they're just going to globally mark their prices down without the wishlist requirement. Should start on the 25th if you're interested. Some of them are commenting that discounts go be up to 40% off.

Also, casual reminded of the Spitfire/HBO Westworld Scoring Competition! I've been following a few submissions with YouTube. Interesting stuff out there. I think the deadline is June 3 if interested. I've started something last night but wow this is a slow process noodling around until something gets my attention. And even that is still pretty basic stuff. Much respect for your compositions again, now with a different perspective! And thanks/grats again, for creating this thread sharing your work.
Thanks for sharing that. I’ll keep an eye out. I still haven’t submitted to the Spitfire competition. I really value it most as an experiment because I haven’t scored to picture before. It refreshingly takes away a lot of the emphasis I put on song structure.

I recommend creating an account at plugin boutique if you’re interested in their lot. It’s mostly geared towards producer/mixing tools, but they have a lot of sporadic deals. Soundiron has a very cool & oddball kontakt library collection, and often has stuff on sale there. Izotope and Soundtoys have significant sales at the moment too.

Here’s another cinematic/industrial song. It's messy, but I'm desensitized at this point. I'm still dissatisfied with the drums, staccato strings, and electricity samples, but the majority is set.

FRANKENSONG

For the past few months I've been tossing around ideas for an abrasive rock album. Mostly simple & noisy music to pacify my inner 17-year-old. So far it's cycling through spaghetti western, sludge, punk, industrial, and some avant metal. Here are some early demos:

For the past few months I've been tossing around ideas for an abrasive rock album. Mostly simple & noisy music to pacify my inner 17-year-old. So far it's cycling through spaghetti western, sludge, punk, industrial, and some avant metal. Here are some early demos:

I'm really digging these. Blackwood's Crest sounds like it belongs on a Pink Floyd album. Lovely. They're all great, but Slug is going to be on the heaviest rotation for a while.

Oh and punk? Forget 17-year-olds, my much older self would like that very much, please.