2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

Tools    

I do feel for you, as we've had our own troubles with handballs and superstar front men... But then I cast my mind back to those dark days in the summer of '86 and I remember all the Irish people on the news, wearing Argentina shirts with #10 on the back and I care just a little bit less. It's strange how football brings out the pettiness in me, but it does. It really does.

Making a difference
My country Nigeria is in a dungeon. i just hope we will be able to scale through to the second round. that will give me maximum satisfaction . wld be praying for Ghana and esp. Cote d'Ivoire, its a group of death.

I don't know how well you've been playing McCoy, but I don't think your group is quite as tough as it looks. Although, I don't think it's going to be easy and, I'm afraid to say, I think you'll finish 3rd but there's definately hope.

Argentina will be favourites to win it, of course, but we've seen that under Maradona they're not the team they should be. But that was qualifying and this is a World Cup. I guess it all comes down to how two people handle the pressure. Maradona and Messi. Just think about the 2002 World Cup and hope for a breakdown.

Greece had an pretty easy qualifying group and still only managed second place. Stop Gekas and a win's not out of the question.

S.Korea I dont' know much about, but they're not coached by Guus Hiddink and they're not playing in front of their own fans, so they're not going to be the 2002 team. I know they dominate in Asia, but how often do those teams get out of the opening round after qualifying for a World Cup? I think this is the key, must win game for you.

As for the other two teams you mentioned. I've already given my mind about Ghana. I do think it's upto Serbia to be strong and not get dominated in midfield. If not, then I can see Ghana getting 3 or 4.

As for Côte d'Ivoire. God bless 'em, if Brazil and (more importantly) Portugal show up, then they'll almost certaonly be the best team not in the second round. But, like Argentina, Portugal aren't the team they look on paper and if Drogba can play like he is at the moment, he's unplayable.

Who'd be interested in watching the World Cup in 3D?

The 2010 World Cup in South Africa will be filmed using 3D production techniques for the first time ever, it has been announced.

Up to 25 games will be captured using 3D cameras after football's world governing body FIFA signed a media rights agreement with Sony.

Firm plans to run live broadcasts of 3D games have yet to be confirmed, but FIFA has said that it will decide whether to offer the rights "in the coming months". After the event, Sony Pictures Entertainment will act as official producer and distributer of all World Cup 3D films.

"This propels the football fan into a whole new viewing dimension and marks the dawning of a new era in the broadcasting of sport," said FIFA secretary general Jérôme Valcke.

"We are proud that the FIFA World Cup can serve as a platform for advancing technology and the viewing experience and are truly fortunate to have Sony as a partner in this endeavour."

Sony chairman and chief executive Sir Howard Stringer added: "The transition to 3D is underway, and we, at Sony, intend to be leaders in every aspect.

"Our sponsorship of the FIFA World Cup allows us to leverage our cutting-edge 3D technology and premier products with dazzling content to produce a unique and totally compelling viewing experience. 3D viewers around the world will feel as though they are inside the stadiums in South Africa, watching the games in person."

Sky recently ran trials of 3D filming at the ATP Tennis Finals at the O2 arena by using two independent cameras to record images for the left and right eye to create the required depth.

However, Sony unveiled a new prototype single-lens 3D camera earlier in the year, which it said was specifically suited for capturing sport footage.

The camera works by taking a single image and then splitting it with mirrors to record on two separate sensors. It's unclear, though, whether the technology will be ready for use at the World Cup.

The first 3D-ready TV sets are expected to reach the UK market in early 2010 as Sky has pledged to launch a dedicated 3D channel at some point during the year.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcas...hot-in-3d.html

Making a difference
I don't know how well you've been playing McCoy, but I don't think your group is quite as tough as it looks. Although, I don't think it's going to be easy and, I'm afraid to say, I think you'll finish 3rd but there's definately hope.

Argentina will be favourites to win it, of course, but we've seen that under Maradona they're not the team they should be. But that was qualifying and this is a World Cup. I guess it all comes down to how two people handle the pressure. Maradona and Messi. Just think about the 2002 World Cup and hope for a breakdown.

Greece had an pretty easy qualifying group and still only managed second place. Stop Gekas and a win's not out of the question.

S.Korea I dont' know much about, but they're not coached by Guus Hiddink and they're not playing in front of their own fans, so they're not going to be the 2002 team. I know they dominate in Asia, but how often do those teams get out of the opening round after qualifying for a World Cup? I think this is the key, must win game for you.

As for the other two teams you mentioned. I've already given my mind about Ghana. I do think it's upto Serbia to be strong and not get dominated in midfield. If not, then I can see Ghana getting 3 or 4.

As for Côte d'Ivoire. God bless 'em, if Brazil and (more importantly) Portugal show up, then they'll almost certaonly be the best team not in the second round. But, like Argentina, Portugal aren't the team they look on paper and if Drogba can play like he is at the moment, he's unplayable.
your analysis is good and unbiased. however football is nt mathematics. in the past, we hv seen big names like France get kicked-out from the world cup jst at the first round.

I concur Argentina/Greece, Germany/Australia and Brazil/Portugal are most likely to scale through to the second round. but there is no certainity, anything can happen. maybe it could be a hard luck on the pressing team which is then countered-on by the oppressing team hence they emerge the winner.

and Côte d'Ivoire is the most determined African side, followed by Ghana, I see them esp. Cote d'Ivoire pulling out a big one. i still have doubt as though

Making a difference
Who'd be interested in watching the World Cup in 3D?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcas...hot-in-3d.html
not bad at all but I fear that this will soon be of a high dominance in football. i am also sure to prefer a Non 3-D football broadcast

You're completely right, football isn't maths, it's not played on paper and upsets happen all the time as I indicated in my post.

I agree with you about both Côte d'Ivoire and Ghana, but I disagree with you (at the moment anyway, maybe thing's will change come June) about Greece and Australia making the cut. I actually think that both of them will finish bottom of their respective groups. Also, although I think you'll finish 3rd in your group, I do think it'll come down to the S. Korea game, as I think you'll lose to Argentina and beat/draw Greece. If that comes to pass, it'll all come down to the S. Korea game.

I do feel for you, as we've had our own troubles with handballs and superstar front men... But then I cast my mind back to those dark days in the summer of '86 and I remember all the Irish people on the news, wearing Argentina shirts with #10 on the back and I care just a little bit less. It's strange how football brings out the pettiness in me, but it does. It really does.
Ya well we hate ye and i dont think we need to go down that road and discuss why!!

I hope your country (Netherlands) don`t play against my country (Serbia) at all, the last 3 games they played were catasrophical, 2 - 1 in 1998 (the famous Mijatovic missed penalty, Bergkamp and Overmars literaly ran across Mihajlovic and got away with it, Davids scoring in the final minute of the game), in 2000 it was 6 - 1 and in 2006 it was 1 - 0, not even the youngsters got away from losing the game against Netherlands in he under 21 EC and WC.

Argentina could win the WC if they get another coach, they have a magnificent team on paper, vut the link between the paper and real life is missing (coach). Brazil are always favorites, even if they play bad and score goals from offsides (against Ghana in 2006), France I hope drop out of the WC in the group stages, they played poor even in the qualifications, and they don`t stand a chance if Henry is suspended (I hope he gets). As for Portugal, if ex Man United second best winger playes well, they will play well, and if Quieross turns on his brain cells maybe they stand a chance at going for at least quater-finals. African nations have a plus already, they are playing in their own continent, at there own wheather conditions, and they can outrun evry football nation in the world (remember Italy `90 and USA `94). Maybe some of them will get through. If Donovan recovers fully, and Altidore plays as good as good as he can, then they can stand a chance at something big. Italy... well Italy can always win it, it`s just a question if they want it so badly to play catanatio, or play good football. And finally my second favorites England, well as the comentator said in the CL finals in `99, "Is this their moment, can they do it ?", yes they can, with maestro Rooney leading the way everything is possible! As for my country, I`m hoping for a miracle, and semi-finals, but my brain says "You idiot, if we get through the group stage it will be a celebration", but if nobody gets hurt, Vidic playes better, I hope we can do something big.

Making a difference
You're completely right, football isn't maths, it's not played on paper and upsets happen all the time as I indicated in my post.

I agree with you about both Côte d'Ivoire and Ghana, but I disagree with you (at the moment anyway, maybe thing's will change come June) about Greece and Australia making the cut. I actually think that both of them will finish bottom of their respective groups. Also, although I think you'll finish 3rd in your group, I do think it'll come down to the S. Korea game, as I think you'll lose to Argentina and beat/draw Greece. If that comes to pass, it'll all come down to the S. Korea game.
Argentina has always had difficulties in beating Nigeria. its just that the current form of the Nigeria side is unstable and we hv issue as regard who will coach the team else Nigeria and Argentina match wld be undecisive.

Greece and Korea are more of a treat to Nigeria, to me anyway. the underdogs/underrated side always turn out to victorious over Nigeria.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I would say that Group E is the toughest group. The Netherlands are favourites of course but both Denmark and Cameroon are good teams and can upset any team on a good day. Japan too is capable of stealing points from better teams.

Group G with Brazil, Portugal, Côte d'Ivoire and North Korea looks like a possible thriller as well. North Korea will finish last, no doubt, but the other three teams are all very good with Brazil being a favourite of course.

Of the big teams I think France is the team running the greatest risk of not going through to the second stage. Argentina appears to be pretty disharmonic these days but they should go through to the next stage but as soon as they encounter a better opponent I think they will be out. I don't think they will get passed the quarter finals.

England, Germany, Italy and Spain will not have any trouble in the first stage of the tournament. If I had to bet money on who'll be in the final I'd say Germany - Spain.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Agreed about France and Argentina. I think since you saw Argentina especially limp into the World Cup, they are going to really be hurting when all the other teams are stepping up their game for the world stage.

Lucky pull for England, although as a native, I'm hoping for big things from the USA and I feel quite confident we'll advance as at least the 2nd in that group. We also get excited to play England so there's a chance that we can pull off an upset, but England looked great in qualifying...

-Hattori Hanzo

With England I think it really does all depend on who's fit and who's in form. I think there's four players who need to be there (and properly fit) for England to do well and make the quarter finals (at least). Those four being Rooney, Gerrard, Ferdinand and Terry.

The right back position's a problem and the left sided problem still hasn't been 'fixed' (and I personally think that Joe Cole is wasted out there) Gerrard works pretty well out there, but coming inside against the better teams (as he does) leaves Ashley exposed which is made worse by the fact that he's an attacking left back.

I know everyone goes on about the keeper (and it is a concern) but a good keeper (of which we have at least 2) only really needs to play well for a month. I know that sounds obvious, but with a good defence in front of him, you don't need a world class keeper, IMO.

I think the USA game is going to be a good barometer of how we are set. I don't want to come out and look fantastic, because I can't remember a team that started brilliantly actually winning the thing or even making the semi's, but a confident, solid win would be welcome. I wouldn't even consider a draw a poor result for the opening match, though it'd be looked on as near disasterous over here by most of the football writers over here.

Anyway, I'll leave England there as I could go on about them all day.

Well, it's getting near that time. Capello's chosen his provisional 30 man team. Any thoughts? Which 7 do you think will be cut?

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

Here's a few other nations 30 man teams, England (and Arsenal) fans look away now.

Spain

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), David De Gea (Atletico de Madrid), Diego Lopez (Villareal), Jose Manuel 'Pepe' Reina (Liverpool), Victor Valdes (Barcelona).

Defenders: Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Cesar Azpilicueta (Osasuna), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid).

Midfielders: Xabier Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Javier Martinez (Athletic Bilbao), Marcos Senna (Villarreal), David Silva (Valencia), Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona).

Forwards: Santiago Cazorla (Villarreal), Jesus Navas (Sevilla), Juan Manuel Mata (Valencia), Pedro Rodriguez (Barcelona), Daniel Guiza (Fenerbache), Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao), Alvaro Negredo (Sevilla), Fernando Torres (Liverpool), David Villa (Valencia).

Brazil's 30 man squad

Goalkeepers Julio Cesar Inter (ITA), Heurelho Gomes Tottenham (ENG), Alexander Doni Roma (ITA)

Defenders
Maicon Inter (ITA), Daniel Alves Barcelona (ESP), Gilberto Cruzeiro, Michel Bastos Olympique Lyonnais (FRA), Lucio Inter (ITA), Juan Roma (ITA), Luisao Benfica (POR), Thiago Silva AC Milan (ITA)

Midfielders Gilberto Silva Panathinaikos (GRE), Felipe Melo Juventus (ITA), Kaka Real Madrid (ESP), Julio Baptista Roma (ITA), Josue Wolfsburg (GER), Kleberson Flamengo, Elano Galatasaray (TUR), Ramires Benfica (POR)

Forwards
Robinho Santos, Luis Fabiano Sevilla (ESP), Nilmar Villarreal (ESP), Grafite Wolfsburg (GER)

Argentina's 30 man squad.

Goalkeepers - Mariano Andujar Catania (ITA), Sergio Romero AZ Alkmaar (NED),
Diego Pozo Colon

Defenders - Nicolas Burdisso Roma (ITA), Marin Demichelis Bayern Munich (GER), Juan Manuel Insuarralde Newell's Old Boys, Gabriel Heinze Marseille (FRA), Nicolas Otamendi
Velez Sarsfield, Clemente Rodriguez Estudiantes, Walter Samuel Inter (ITA), Ariel Garce
Colon, Fabricio Coloccini Newcastle United (ENG)

Midfielders - Mario Bolatti Fiorentina (ITA), Sebastian Blanco Lanus, Jesus Datolo
Olympicacos (GRE), Angel Di Maria Benfica (POR), Jonas Gutierrez Newcastle United (ENG), Javier Mascherano Liverpool (ENG), Javier Pastore Palermo (ITA), Juan Sebastian Veron Estudiantes, Juan Mercier Argentinos Juniors, Maxi Rodriguez Liverpool (ENG), Jose Ernesto Sosa Estudiantes

Forwards - Lionel Messi Barcelona (ESP), Martin Palermo Boca Juniors, Gonzalo Higuain Real Madrid (ESP), Sergio Aguero Atletico Madrid (ESP), Ezequiel Lavezzi Napoli (ITA), Carlos Tevez Manchester City (ENG), Diego Milito Inter (ITA)

Italy's 30 man sqaud

Goalkeepers - Gianluigi Buffon Juventus, Morgan de Sanctis Napoli, Federico Marchetti Cagliari, Salvatore Sirigu Palermo

Defenders - Fabio Cannavaro Juventus, Fabio Grosso Juventus, Giorgio Chiellini Juventus, Gianluca Zambrotta AC Milan, Domenico Criscito Genoa, Christian Maggio Napoli, Salvatore Bocchetti Genoa, Mattia Cassani Palermo, Leonardi Bonucci Bari

Midfielders Gennaro Gattuso AC Milan, Andrea Pirlo AC Milan, Mauro Camoranesi Juventus, Daniele De Rossi Roma, Angelo Palombo Sampdoria, Simone Pepe Udinese, Riccardo Montolivo Fiorentina, Claudio Marchisio Juventus, Antonio Candreva Juventus, Andrea Cossu Cagliari

Forwards Alberto Gilardino Fiorentina, Vincenzo Iaquinta Juventus, Antonio Di Natale Udinese, Fabio Quagliarella Napoli, Giuseppe Rossi Villarreal (ESP), Marco Borriello AC Milan, Giampaolo Pazzini Sampdoria

I've not been watching Italian football, but has Pato had that poor a season? All the talk seems to be about Ronaldinho being left out (and in terms of profile, I understand that) but I'd be surprised not to see Pato in the 23, let alone the 30. Unless he's injured or something I'd put him above both Nilmar and Grafite.

I badly want Argentina to do well. Dig their style, players and of course Maradonna (funny dude xD). And Argentina's forwards are easily the best in the entire tournament: Messi, Higuain, Milito, Aguero, Tevez. Combined, they scored over 100 goals this season lol.

But I reckon Spain are the favourite to win it. And always take into account ze Germans.

If Maradonna can get the best out of Argentina, then they've got to be 2nd favourites (after Spain) to win. But he's shown absolutely no aptitude for it yet, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I think Spain are favourites, but they've got injuy worries of their own. Their salvation, though, comes from the bench. I didn't forget the Germans either (how could I? I'm English) it's just that I couldn't find their 30 man squad. Ditto Holland. All I could find was that van Nistelrooy wasn't included.

*Edit* Here's a link with the 30 man squads for all the teams, bar N.Korea.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...149022,00.html

If Maradonna can get the best out of Argentina, then they've got to be 2nd favourites (after Spain) to win. But he's shown absolutely no aptitude for it yet, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.
I know, he's probably a rubbish coach, but a favourite in my book ever since he said "to those that didn't believe in me, pardon my french ladies, suck it and keep sucking it", after that lucky goal Palermo scored. I compare him to that Duracell rabbit when he's coaching on the pitch.

It's all in the reflexes.
Spain is going to dominate that team is ridiculous. I got a bad feeling Australia's going to get kicked out first round unless Cahill can weave some magic. I really want to see Cameroon especially Eto'o do well, also i think England should pick Theo Walcott his speed is crazy.