Top Ten Overrated and Best

Tools    

District B13
Hi there, I'm pretty new and I decided I would post my opinions on various movies so you could get a taste of what I like/dislike. I chose overrated over bad, because I hate overrated movies more than I hate bad movies.

Concerning Overrated: I realize that this may rattle a few cages. But please understand that all flims posted I've actually seen, I'm not some angry angst filled teenager who wants to tick everyone off. I just harbor a few opinions against some movies that I felt have been unrightfully placed at the pedestal of movie glory.

10. Anchorman

I think this is the worst comedy movie ever made. The jokes are awful, the setting is awful, and everything about this movie is stupid. I guess this movie prides itself on being stupid and silly, and that it should be taken as such. But I find these jokes not only to be childish, but annoying as well. The one liners that everyone touts from this film are also NOT amusing, they weren't funny when the movie played, and they weren't funny when they repeated them. Boring and stupid movie.

9. Spiderman 2

When judging a sequel, I must look back at the original. The original stayed true to spiderman's roots, a nerdy kid involved in an accident. It had decent action, Mary Jane Parker, a little bit of self righteousness albeit, but it was a good movie. When Spiderman-2 came out the only thing I could think about was how Doc Oc was going to be an effective character and how the storyline between Peter and his friend would continue. Instead I was treated 2 hours of boring "we've already seen it before" hero deciding to be a hero, girl or the hero, big spidey penis or little nerdy penis, and then we were finally treated to Doc Oc and his amazing arms, we were then lead into 15 minutes of action before the bad guy reconciled and the hero got the girl and got to be the hero. It was so cliche and boring I can't understand why so many people liked it. Maybe we need the 50s comics redone, except with more action and more class.

8. Eyes Wide Shut

When I first saw this movie, I was too turned on by the nudity and weirdness of it all. Which, I suppose, makes a movie like this famous. However, forgetting that this film was made by Stanley Kubrick, that this movie didn't have Nicole Kidman or Tom Cruise, would it be so famous? What other director besides Kubrick would be tossed on a poster so intentionally that it is almost disgusting how movie big wigs want to sell their product? Maybe Tarantino, but you will all find that out later. Unlike spiderman 2 and Anchorman, this movie was somewhat suspenseful and odd enough to make it interesting, but it was no more an artistic effort than a busty blondes 3/Scooby Doo hybrid. Decent movie, but tremendously overrated.

7. Sin City

Yea, I went there. If you ever need a lesson in false advertising, Sin City is the best example in the history of history. It was difficult to tell which part of the movie looked so damn good, was it the incredibly long list of well known half rate and has been actors in a variety of roles? Was it the amazing visual style? Or was it the promised graphic novel ultimate action flick? Well, 1 out of 3 aint bad. So first, the good: The visual style was awesome, done very nicely, much props to the movie for that. Before I continue on the bad, remember that because I hate the movie, I also hate the graphic novel, I realize this was the most faithful interpretation of a comic book movie ever done, and for that I respect it. But the same things I hate about the movie I hate about the graphic novel, so don't trap me into that argument.

Firstly, the promised action flick never came through, I realize that this was supposed to be noir, but the previews, the gun toting villains, and the action list of actors all promised me something that never happened. I can respect noir, but only if it says noir, and not come see our comic book action movie like it was represented in the preview.

Secondly, I understand that it's not cool to hate on violence or sex these days. But honestly, this movie was utterly disgusting, and it managed to viciously ravage the catholic church, have a world in which vengeful and selfish lunatics were the only good guys, and have scenes of intense violence such as ripping off testicles and eating human bodies. This may be cool to some people, and I may be a prude, but I certainly understand violence, and if acts of extreme violence that occured in history are portrayed, then I have no ground to stand on. But these acts of violence are so pervasive and fictitious, it just becomes an exercise in desensitization.

On a side note, I think something that is not left up to opinion is Jessica Alba's snottyness. Her personal beliefs prevented her from being naked in a movie, yet she could play an exotic dancer in a movie where every other woman is naked, every man is an evil pedophile or veangance head, and she could be in a movie making this glamorous, yet she, somehow, because of her divine morality, could not be topless. That is just a brat acting like a brat.

Continuing on this overrated movie........ Partly due to false advertising, this movie had a bevvy of actors that were going to be involved in a complex crime caper. Instead I was treated to politically correct straight forward stories of people killing each other, there was no complexity, merely the bad guy and the good guy, the good guy being bad, and the bad guy coming from the pit of hell. So, with a straight forward story and awful dialogue comes great action? Nope. Just people killing each other and revenge.

I do not get off on revenge, so that left me at a fault right there.

In conclusion, this movie may be the most overrated movie of all time, wait, it's just the 7th, I've got 6 more to go. And they are coming ASAP along with my top ten.

I hope I've boiled some blood, but not to the point of anger. This is just my opinion, and even though I think Eyes Wide Shut and Sin City are overrated, I still believe they maintain some good qualities. Just not enough to make them good and certainly not enough to make them classic.

I know there is no accounting for taste, but uhhhh yeah.

District B13
Did you come to that conclusion by reading my post, forming an articulate answer, and then responding?

Or did you look at a list that said Sin City was overrated and call me a know nothing because I disagree with popular thought?

Again, this is my opinion, I want to boil blood to start some thought provoking debate.

For me, it's a chance to explain my taste and my thoughts. For a person debating with me, it is to show them why they liked the movie and why I should reconsider the movie in question.

So, as a future warning to all posters, if you have some snotty or snide response that doesn't really get anyone anywhere, don't post.

I've got my last 6 overrated and top 10 favorites coming shortly.

Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
Did you come to that conclusion by reading my post, forming an articulate answer, and then responding?

Or did you look at a list that said Sin City was overrated and call me a know nothing because I disagree with popular thought?

Again, this is my opinion, I want to boil blood to start some thought provoking debate.

For me, it's a chance to explain my taste and my thoughts. For a person debating with me, it is to show them why they liked the movie and why I should reconsider the movie in question.

So, as a future warning to all posters, if you have some snotty or snide response that doesn't really get anyone anywhere, don't post.

I've got my last 6 overrated and top 10 favorites coming shortly.
The can of worms is open............Oh I hope you like the way they taste......foot in mouth, or toe in craw yep cya soon............BTW nothing personal/

District B13
Look dude, I really dig Flash Gordon.

However, I would appreciate it if you commented on my list, disagree/agree, ask me more questions, post thoughts of your own.

Etc. No respect is given to people who don't acknowledge alternate viewpoints.

Look dude, I really dig Flash Gordon.

However, I would appreciate it if you commented on my list, disagree/agree, ask me more questions, post thoughts of your own.

Etc. No respect is given to people who don't acknowledge alternate viewpoints.
Actually I respect your thoughts, I am in no way trying to demean any thing you have to say, BUT>>>>>...............................I will respond more in depth when time permits...tommorow I hope.cya then, and btw I love debate, more so when it involves comics turned to movies, cya soon I hope.

District B13
It continues.......

6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Much like a previously noted film, this movie is odd and quirky. This movie is the only movie I would actually consider decent in my list. However, the sheer number of appalling good reviews this movie got soiled my appetite. How randomness and quirkyness could be praised, yet hints of extreme tediousness and convoluted dialogue be missed is somewhat of a mystery to me.

As much as I hate this film I like it, this one is difficult for me because, like I said, I actually like it. But the way this film was inexcusably pushed to the top by giddy movie critics is unacceptable.

Unlike Memento, which had me captivated from start to finish, this movie got boring throughout and lost it's point halfway through. The acting talent of Kirsten Dunst was represented so the whole quality of the movie was dragged down.

5. Finding Nemo

If Pixar had a name, it would be commercial animation industry. Ever since Toy Story, which I liked, Pixar has been pissing on paper and calling it filmmaking. Finding Nemo takes place in the sea, enough to give us a biology lesson, a moral story, and sweet animation visuals. Yea, **** that, all that. The biology lesson is limited to vegetarian sharks and surfer turtles (cliches from 50s cartoons, might i add), the moral story has nothing to do with the sea and can be easily duplicated under any environment. And the sweet animation visuals were pretty sweet, but instead of taking us into a fantasy world like toy story and monsters inc., we were treated to the ocean.

And if we are doing the ocean, it better be the ocean, not some fantasy land. This is something that Pixar failed to do. The transition between what is fantasy and what is reality.

Ok, so it's all animated, but don't tell me that Finding Nemo's cute cast of characters and save the son motive can't be done elsewhere besides the ocean. In reality, the main failure of this movie is the ocean setting as opposed to any other setting, it was not utilized, and thus dissapointing, and thus overrated.

4. Batman Begins

Batman Begins..... To suck.

I've been waiting for this for a long time, a chance to finally express my views on this perversion. However, before I begin the self gratifying experience of humbling something of obviously weak character I think you should know my stance on things.

A. I like Christopher Nolan
B. I like Batman

That being said, I absolutely despise Batman Begins, and I despise the reviewers who don't despise this piece of garbage.

I'll begin easy, the batmobile sucked.

Next, I'll talk about the actors. Gary Oldman, great, Liam neeson, great, Watanabe, great, Bale, great, Cane, great, Cillian Murphy, great, Freeman, great.

Of those actors and their abilities and reveleance to the film were concerned, only two actually mattered. The first being Christian Bale, and the second being Liam Neeson, all the other actors were wasted and useless to the story.

Here is where Begins fails..... Batman is not defined, batman has had many authors and is therefore very different. One thing that is unversially true, however, is that Batman's rogue gallery is never tampered with. And, with this Nolan Perversion, scarecrow and Rha's Al Ghul were completely eradicated in favor of Hollywood Dark mumbo jumbo.

Scarecrow, NOT Rha's Al Ghul, wants the world to conquer their fear. Scarecrow does NOT take orders from anybody.

Rha's Al Ghul has a DAUGHTER in which he wants batman to marry, he does not want to cure people of their fear by killing them, by fear.

The psychological development of the rogue gallery in Batman through Batman Forever was great, every character had their flaws and their good points, every character mixed with batman and fougth with batman in their own way.

IN begins, the only character that was focused on was batman. While this is good for Nolan's movies (memento), it is not fair to batman mythology. A mythology that prides itself on criminal motivation and pyschological investigation.

The wayne's self righteouness was also appaling apparent. His father only wanted to help the poor people of Gotham, their family helped runaway slaves, yadda yadda yadda, on and on and on . His father took it like a man when died, etc. Bullcrap like that that would never be in something like memento.

Speaking of dead fathers, in batman 1, Joker's character was setup. This not only allowed for Joker's character to come through, but batman's and his girlfriend's as well.

Bruce Wayne's best friend will always be Two Face. Batman's love and hate will always be for catwoman.

If nolan did it once, then would he do it twice. Would characters like Catwoman and Two Face become merely the filth of gotham city? Would their personas as Lover or best Friend come out to play to serve more a purpose than simply saving the world.

Or will batman find himself in a series of fights in a dark city with no more pretense than saving the world over and over again, something superman does better.

Throw away all ties to batman, wasted actors, and the ripoff of batman 1's ending, and you've got yourself a semi decent movie. But batman is batman, and he certainly won't take this.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The guy who killed batman's father has been, and always will be, the Joker.
Ummm, no. In every single comic that talks about Batman's origin, going back to the earliest issues, by Bob Kane and Bill Finger, Bruce Wayne's father was killed by a mugger named Joe Chill, as was shown in Batman Begins. The Joker only was the culprit in Tim Burton's film from 1989. Don't be a know-it-all if you aren't going to do any research.

(I could tear your woeful lack of Batman knowledge apart sentence by sentence, but I am just too tired. maybe later. )

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

even though i dont particularly agree with your thoughts, I like your posts... just letting it out... I do think Spider Man 2 was a bit overrated too.

I do have a question though. Could you title the movies youre talking about? some of the pics aint showin up and it takes reading through the paragraph to find out the movie... like number 10 for instance, i have no idea what youre talking about. thx

District B13
Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
Ummm, no. In every single comic that talks about Batman's origin, going back to the earliest issues, by Bob Kane and Bill Finger, Bruce Wayne's father was killed by a mugger named Joe Chill, as was shown in Batman Begins. The Joker only was the culprit in Tim Burton's film from 1989. Don't be a know-it-all if you aren't going to do any research.

(I could tear your woeful lack of Batman knowledge apart sentence by sentence, but I am just too tired. maybe later. )

Perhaps I was mistaken on the Joker part. But I do remember batman TAS and the early 700 series seemed to follow that suit about batman. I'm sorry for the misinformation, but I remember batman and TAS being about that.

Ra's Al Ghul did head a terrorism group, but his relationship with batman was that of his daughter's husband. Begins showed the terrorist group, and the somewhat neutral feature of Al Ghul, but not his daughter, the focal point of the character.

The Scarecrow's halucinogen gas was represented, as well as his motif. But Scarecrow never had a tendency to get involved with other people due to his childhood memories of being picked on. And, how was it so easy for Batman to disperse of him even though he had studied Crane?

And my main point was that wasted characters including Morgan Freeman being the black man wasted the talent for other people, like the chick from Dawson's Creek.

And that Nolan took some liberties with the characters here, giving us bullcrap board of directors, bullcrap Morgan Freeman role. At least in Batman we had Harvey Dent and the gang war concept that is prevalent in the mythology.

So at least acknowledge that point.

And my main point was that wasted characters including Morgan Freeman being the black man wasted the talent for other people, like the chick from Dawson's Creek.

And that Nolan took some liberties with the characters here, giving us bullcrap board of directors, bullcrap Morgan Freeman role. At least in Batman we had Harvey Dent and the gang war concept that is prevalent in the mythology.

So at least acknowledge that point.
Well, yes, they did have Harvey Dent. Who will be a character in the sequel to Batman Begins, actually.

Morgan Freeman's character was actually featured in the Animated Batman and in various comics issues, really. He was the head of Bruce Wayne's company, and David Goyer, the Screenwriter of Batman Begins, gets much credit for including such a minor, "only total fanboys would know who that is," character. I agree that the Scarecrow was a bit underwhelming, though. From what I've read, Nolan actually tried to fight having him even wear the scarecrow mask, so I guess we should be happy we got that at all.

I've always hated Ra's Al Ghul, actually. He's not as colourful or as intriguing as the other villains. I understand them not having Talia in the film because there really wasn't the time, and I am glad they rid him of the whole "Lazarus Pit" gimmick, because that was just confusing and I never enjoyed any comics he was featured in. He was fairly good here as a foil for Batman/Bruce Wayne, although I'd have liked to have seen a more outlandish villain in the film.

Depending on who plays the Joker and who plays Harvey Dent, the next one could be very good.

District B13
I understand what you are saying. And having that element of Morgan Freeman in there makes more sense. But, it still doesn't detract from the fact that there was a multitude of wasted characters and scarecrow and Ra's Al ghul was not represented properly

We can disagree about Ra's al ghul all day, but I"m glad you agree with me on Scarecrow.

Now that I know more about the movie I actually respect it more. But I'm not going to take it off the list, Instead I'll harbor more of a endless sunshine of the spotless mind attitude and say it was a good movie overrated.

The main points being the hypocrisy of batman's character, the lack of action, and the unused characters as well as the piss poor batmobile.

And, in comparison to batman 1, is nowhere near as good in terms of entertainment or scenario. But better relationship with the comics.

And scarecrow as such a wuss that was so easily beaten... it was just disgraceful.

District B13
More!

3. From Dusk Till Dawn

Only a movie that contains 300 expletives, naked vampires, and gore could be a movie about discovering one's own faith. So, in the beginning two men rob stores and kill people. Perhaps the only good part, which is a classic moment in movie history is when the store clerk lights on fire and pops popcorn, but besides that, nothing is good. The extreme perversion demonstrated by Quentin Tarantino in this movie is unsettling to say the least, but the glorification of Clooney's character is perhaps what gets me the most. But actually it's the family who just lost their mother/wife and are struggling to believe in God that pisses me off the most.

So lets go to Mexico, look at some titties and fight some vampires. The action, acting, and final conclusion is that which is so stupid I can scarcely put words to my lips.

Clooney "Don't ever lose your faith" Clooney "You can't ride with me to where I'm going becuase it's too dangerous" lines are the most F'ed and completely unrelated pieces of crap lines I've ever heard in my entire life.

The setting, however cool it may be, was diminished by awful acting and horrible action. And, like Begins, some of the most hypocritical dialogue in the history of cinema occurs. Bad Movie.

2. Kill Bill

Yea, I went there again. What happens when you take one man's name and plaster it over something? Apparently classic, and greatest movie ever, filled with one liners we can use day to day till the end of time. Yea, right.

In all fairness to the movie's hip style, it does succeed in presenting us with something different. But, the simplistic storyline and the action scenes are enough to bore me to hell and back. How can we as a people get off on revenge filled tales of violence, not good action, but pure violence. It is disgusting to even think about it.

Coming up soon. The number 1 overrated movie in my books, a summary about my overrated movies, and my 10 favorite movies of all time (Yes, I do actually like movies!).

District B13
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
So far, you're running about 4 insults to other people's taste for every comment about film. Just an observation.
Well I know I'm going to get it about the selections I choose. I would just hope that people would argue with me like monkey man instead of hating on my own personal view.

I think the time has come for movie critics to stop suggesting that movies are the best of all time because of someone's name, the actor list, or the this is the cool thing to watch now tag.

The next movie will be Tarantino, but it won't be Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown. So you leave your rests at ease

Also note, I don't need de reps if you think I'm being arrogant. I'm stating an opinion, one that which you can debate with, but not hate on.

If you want to call me arrogant or insulting and not have anything to say, don't be a little Tar Heel and post here. Post why you disagree.

I am NOT trying to piss people off, so keep that the **** in mind.

District B13
And it is.

Kill Bill Volume 2

Well here it is, my personal opinion on the most overrated movie of all time.

I suppose you want an explanation, I'll give you one. Boredom. Every moment, every scenario, every action that occured was inexplicably boring. From the East Asian Mysticism, to the very limited action scenes which followed Kill Bill's suit of more violence, less action goodness. The style in Kill Bill 1 was replaced by sillyness in Kill Bill 2. Thus negating any good features.

The "work of art" that was kill bill's violence was completely eradicated in favor of telling a story we've already heard, and an ending we've already seen and the happy ending we already predicted.

Well thats my top ten , feel free to flame and de rep, or take my wanted route of action and comment and disagree/agree on what I'm saying. When I complete my summary it should tell you more how I feel about the movies themselves, as I will have a rating score which should help you figure out my stance.

I can't stop saying this, this is MY opinion, my purpose is NOT to tick anyone off, but rather to engage in discussion about the movies chosen.

After my summary I'm coming with my top ten, there are only 2 choices that will probably be debated by these people here.

Okay, you're not trying to piss people off, but you do call them ***********. hmmm.

I will say you are being arrogant, although when you aren't being willfully provocative, you are interesting to argue with. cut down on all the name calling (I.E. everyone who disagrees with you is stupid) and you won't recieve any negative rep points. I'm on the fence of liking you, you loud, obnoxious little sod. lol.

and if you say Reservoir Dogs is the number one most overrated film, I reckon you and I are going to have another fun little row. heh.

District B13
Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
Okay, you're not trying to piss people off, but you do call them c*ck suckers. hmmm.

I will say you are being arrogant, although when you aren't being willfully provocative, you are interesting to argue with. cut down on all the name calling (I.E. everyone who disagrees with you is stupid) and you won't recieve any negative rep points. I'm on the fence of liking you, you loud, obnoxious little sod. lol.

and if you say Reservoir Dogs is the number one most overrated film, I reckon you and I are going to have another fun little row. heh.
Well I wrongfully called people those names, but I was referring to those who were trying to insult me. Not the people who disagree with my choices, you see.

I'm naturally arrogant, for that I apologize. However, the only two points in which I know I am correct are the Jessica Alba comment and the Batmobile comment.

Those are the only two things that are NOT up for debate as the facts represent themselves.

Anything else is fair game, and I apologize if I didn't make it seem as such.

Like I said I will come out with a rating system that will have my personal score of the movie, and then the balanced overrated score. So I may rate batman begins a 6 or a 7, but give it a balanced score of a 3 or a 4. Thats just an example and I don't know if it'll be true. But as you can see I'm mainly fighting overrated movies.

And there will be 2 movies that recieve 0/10 scores on that list both ways. Just so you know.

And I've never seen Reservouir dogs, so if I would comment on them I would be foolish to do so, and hypocritical.

A system of cells interlinked
If you want to call me arrogant or insulting and not have anything to say, don't be a little cock sucker and post here. Post why you disagree.

You're out of line, Mister. Let's stop the vetuperation right now. This isn't a site full of punk kids, with many members being adults with families and lives beyond playground name calling and hot-headed diarrhea of the mouth. Your excessive response to a simple comment was unwarranted, rude, and will encourage your quick exit from these virtual premesis.

Well, I call the people who are trying to say that I'm trying to piss people off that they are cock suckers. Not the people who disagree with my choices, you see.
No, you can't, as stated in the rules you agreed to abide by when you signed up for membership on MovieForums.com. You did read the rules, didn't you?

However, the only two points in which I know I am correct are the Jessica Alba comment and the Batmobile comment.

Those are the only two things that are NOT up for debate as the facts represent themselves.
Actually, the Batmobile was quite cool. It's your opinion that it wasn't. I thought it made sense in context of the story, as Wayne was producing military vehicles, and that is basically what it was. Why would they produce a ridiculous looiking car with fins and a bubble top?

And I don't see how Jessica Alba refusing to be naked makes her a hypocrite. Yes, Sin City was very violent and overtly sexual and yes, she was playing a stripper, but she never stated morality as the reason she wouldn't, she stated that she didn't want her family to see her nude, and who could argue with that? Some folks are just more open about nudity than others.