Forgotten Gems (A place to share movies lost in the mists of time)

→ in
Tools    

Good call "Lance McCool", PARRALAX VIEW is an all time fave in the espionage genre.

I will bring John Huston's THE KREMLIN LETTER a spy thriller and THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER a fabulous all star who dunnit into the list of forgotten gems.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Originally Posted by Loner
Ah yes, that forgotten gem from five years ago that plays on IFC every other month.
Dude, I already said it was less forgotten than just not overlooked at the time. It was released in hardly any cinemas. And I have no idea what 'plays on IFC' means.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
IFC = Independent Film Channel

BTW: How do you get that channel?

Wheely cool bike girl
Like water for Chocolate. 1993 Love, fantasy. A cinema fest.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by Strummer521
IFC = Independent Film Channel

BTW: How do you get that channel?

DIRECTV

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Originally Posted by coolbreeze
Like water for Chocolate. 1993 Love, fantasy. A cinema fest.
Did it have the same ending as the book? Cos that was just....strange.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension
(d. WD Richter - 1984)

Welcome to the human race...
WITHNAIL & I
(dir. Bruce Robinson, 1987)

This is truly a classic that nobody I know knows about.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
WITHNAIL & I

This is truly a classic that nobody I know knows about.
Well, then you don't know the right people. Withnail & I's greatness is no secret. It's no accident black spot. Many, many fans throw themselves at it willingly.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Well, then you don't know the right people. Withnail & I's greatness is no secret. It's no accident black spot. Many, many fans throw themselves at it willingly.
Indeed.

Get yourself some new friends. Find your neutral space. You got a rush. It'll pass. Be seated...

EDIT - I've got a Withnail ringtone on my cellphone don't you know...

I stand up before you to sit down beside you to tell you something you already know nothing about. Baldheaded monkeys and bowlegged bats a bannana truck got run over by an icecream truck creating a split in the time warp zone ridge. Yeah that and a bag of chips I say!

Welcome to the human race...
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Well, then you don't know the right people
And that's why I joined this site.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
I've got a Withnail ringtone on my cellphone don't you know...
How can you get that?

I plan to show it to my parents eventually.

Taking care of planet Earth
Hmm, I'd like to post something on here but I think it would not be worthwhile. For me to post a "forgotten classic" then I would need to think of something that nobody on here has seen, otherwise I will be berated.

Nope, I'm going through the most obsure things I can think of. Holden Pike has seen everything and likes people to know it. I had gotten a better impression of you from other threads Holden, in this one you come across as quite rude.

**edit**

I'll add a couple anyway, I'm sure not everyone has seen them:

"Duck, You Sucker" (Sergio Leone, 1971) - aka "A Fistful of Dynamite" and "Once Upon a Time...The Revolution". While it may be a Leone film, it is certainly his least well known. Most people think of the "Dollars" trilogy, "Once Upon a Time in the West" or "Once Upon a Time in America" when they think of Leone movies but I think this is excellent too. I can watch pretty much anything with James Coburn in, here he plays an IRA terrorist on the run in New Mexico who teams up with a mexican bandit (Rod Steiger) and start robbing banks together. Like most Leone films, it gets better with each viewing.

"Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia" (Sam Peckinpah, 1974) - Warren Oates is outstanding in this film, possibly my favourite Peckinpah movie. The way he seems to descend into madness after his girlfriend has been killed and he talks to the dismembered head in a bag on his passenger seat is amusing but kind of sick at the same time. It stars off slowly like most Peckinpah films and descends into a complete bloodbath of action in the final third of the film. Most of the people I speak to have never heard of this film but love it after I have sat them down to watch it. Peckinpah said it was the only film he made where he had complete creative control to do what he wanted to do. In my top 10 movies of all time.

Also thought about putting in "The Conversation" - Coppola's most overlooked film, Gene Hackman is typically brilliant. Has he actually aged in the last thirty years? He still looks just like Popeye Doyle today.

That's it, post what ever you want, Holden does bite sometimes, thats him but he is very knowledgeable, he is just an Ornery Sumbitch you will get to like him maybe.

Taking care of planet Earth
Originally Posted by nebbit
That's it, post what ever you want, Holden does bite sometimes, thats him but he is very knowledgeable, he is just an Ornery Sumbitch you will get to like him maybe.
I hope I get to like him, he seems to know his onions as they say but he just seemed a bit snappy in this thread. Other threads he seems ok.

How does this reputation thing work anyway?

Two action Gems-
Don Siegel's CHARLEY VARRICK/HELL IS FOR HEROES
Peter Hunt's DEATH HUNT

A Noir treat-
THE LADY IN THE LAKE

PS-
On the topic of Coppola's masterful CONVERSATION check out Sidney Lumet's inspired ANDERSON TAPES with Sean Connery (a christopher Walken in his bigscreen debut) ..................
Come to think of it Connery directed by Lumet in THE HILL is arguably his finest performance. A must see war film that is powerful and memorable.

well not exactly old, ten years ago, but i think these are some "forgotten gems"... at least i dont hear anyone talking about them any more... i grew up mostly in the nineties so theres kind of a nostalgia factor.

Life Stinks - Directed by Mel Brooks (1991)

Living In Oblivion - Directed by Tom Dicillo (1995) (Its a film about filmaking. and one of the first & funniest movies ive seen steve buscemi in)

Once Upon A Crime - Directed by Eugene Levy (1992)

The Stoned Age - Directed by James Melkonian (1994)

Class Act - Directed by Randal Miller (1992)

Bob Roberts - Directed by Tim Robbins (1992)

Being Human - Directed by Bill Forsyth (1993) (One man, Robin Williams' character, must learn the meaning of courage across four lifetimes centuries apart.)

Brain Donors - Directed by Dennis Dugan (1992)

Witch Hunt - Directed by Paul Schrader (1994)

If Looks Could Kill - Directed by William Dear (1991)

lol well i dont think any of them are oscar worthy. but gems none the less. even a bad movie can be a good movie.