20th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Monsters, Inc.

I love Pixar. Which is probably pretty apparent since I already have hosted a Pixar Hall of Fame. But there's something about their style, their animation, their characters, their music, and everything that else that bring them right to the top of Animation Studios. Sure they've made garbage films (looking at you Brave and Cars Franchise), but most of their movie are totally amazing and Monsters, Inc. is no exception. Pete Docter behind Andrew Stanton is my favorite animated director, and Monsters, Inc. was his "sort-of" debut, since of course he wasn't the only director, and of course he had worked with Pixar before that as well. But it is truly a masterpiece in my eyes. The voice acting is great, Billy Crystal is perfect for Mike and John Goodman is great as Sully. Boo is adorable even though I'm not a huge fan of children in animation. It's funny, colorful, heartwarming, just everything you would expect from a Pixar movie. It doesn't do anything out of the ordinary for Pixar, which is why it's not my favorite of their movies. But it's a film that checks all the boxes of what you'd expect from a Pixar movie. I don't expect this to win, but it certainly deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame in my eyes.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Blood Diamond (2006)
Director: Edward Zwick
Nominated by Miss Vicky
Had been on the fence about ever seeing this, and now, with it being nominated by Vicky, I got me a very good feeling I'm going to be enjoying this one.

Cool Hand Luke (1967)
Director: Stuart Rosenberg
Nominated by Edaresnal
I've actually only seen this once, edited on Prime Time TV back as a kid when TV was three major networks and that's it. And when I saw it was never in one of these, that kinda sealed it for me to be a nom.

Rear Window (1954)
Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Nominated by John-Connor
A Classic that I never got to see completely and now I get to.

Ghostbusters (1984)
Director: Ivan Reitman
Nominated by Siddon
A great comedy that I've seen countless times and since it has been a while, I get to revisit

The Music Man (1962)
Director: Morton DaCosta
Nominated by Citizen Rules
"That's Pool and that starts with P and that rhymes with T and that spells TROUBLE".
Haven't seen this since childhood, so I'll be in for a treat.

High Noon (1952)
Director: Fred Zinnemann
Nominated by Rauldc14
THANK YOU Raul! An iconic western that every Western SHOULD see and I have not. I finally will!

Monsters, Inc (2001)
Directors: Pete Docter, David Silverman
Nominated by Ahwell
An old time favorite of mine and glad to get to revisit

The Squid and The Whale (2005)
Director: Noah Baumbach
Nominated by Frightened Inmate No. 2
Have not heard of this so very curious to see what becomes of it.

Blood Simple (1984)
Directors: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Nominated by Hey Fredrick
One of the few Coen films I haven't seen so looking forward to it.

Elmer Gantry (1960)
Director: Richard Brooks
Nominated by Cricket
An old time heavy hitter that, like a few others here, I'll finally get to sit down and watch

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm not sure I've ever seen Gantry before myself, so I look forward to that the most currently. Well that and a Rear Window rewatch.

great idea!
Will you be pulling random out of the proverbial hat?
I suppose I could, but it be better if people just suggested, 'hey how about we have this nom for the next movie of the week.'

Maybe this will get some back and forth conversation going. Remember when a bunch of us all watched Lilya 4 Ever around the same time, that ended up being some good convos.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I suppose I could, but it be better if people just suggested, 'hey how about we have this nom for the next movie of the week.'

Maybe this will get some back and forth conversation going. Remember when a bunch of us all watched Lilya 4 Ever around the same time, that ended up being some good convos.
the conversations DO get going when several watch the same film and talk about it.

great idea!
Will you be pulling random out of the proverbial hat?

Music Man first? That’s the one I’m most excited to see honestly, I saw it when I was a kid and remember liking it but not much else (actually “76 Trombones” sometimes gets stuck in my head to this day).

I have The Music Man on order at the library, so I hope it comes soon, though I never know for sure how long it will take. Maybe that can be a Week 2 MotW, (or whatever works for people.)

I do have The Squid and the Whale to watch tonight. So seeing how Miss Vicky has already watched it let's say:

Week 1...Movie of the Week is The Squid and the Whale.

High Noon (Fred Zinneman, 1952)
Imdb

Date Watched: 10/07/19
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 20th MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by rauldc14
Rewatch: No.

High Noon is a bit different than most films in that its events take place in real time. This is an interesting concept and it serves well to enhance a feeling of urgency and dread, but unfortunately that "real time" is less than 90 minutes. Now I'm not necessarily saying that I'd like it to be longer, but the time restriction leaves little room for character development. As such I didn't feel like I knew Kane at all and didn't really care one way or the other what became of him or the others. I could only muster a tiny sliver of sympathy when the people of his town - and even his bride - turned their backs on him.

So, once again, I was pretty bored. But the final shootout was at least mildly interesting and I didn't particularly dislike any of the characters so I'll give it a very apathetic

"That's Pool and that starts with P and that rhymes with T and that spells TROUBLE".
I just looked The Music Man up on YouTube and clicked on a clip of this song. I couldn't even manage to get through that clip and it's not even 5 minutes long. I don't know how the hell I'm going to endure two and a half hours of that torture.

I just looked The Music Man up on YouTube and clicked on a clip of this song. I couldn't even manage to get through that clip and it's not even 5 minutes long. I don't know how the hell I'm going to endure two and a half hours of that torture.
Are there any musicals you like?

Elmer Gantry 1960 Directed by Richard Brooks

This was the first time I've seen Elmer Gantry, it has been on my watch list ever since I checked out mark-f's top 100 list. I added it to my own 1960's favorite films list, I think I will place it somewhere between position #40 and 50.

It's a big powerful movie with lots of thought provoking subjects in the story, that must have made an impact back in the 60's. Which makes me think why hasn't this movie appeared on my radar before, my guess would be that the European promotion and word of mouth on this movie has been kept low deliberately because of all the religious parties/powers that could possibly be affected in a negative way by this film.

Burt Lancaster really shines in this film with his incredible performance displaying a full range of human emotion and abilities. I didn't know Burt could also sing that well!

The film and the Elmer Gantry character end strong and wise, showing that a man and his religion or his beliefs are a very personal journey and an introspective experience that is not meant for circus shows.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Seven of the noms will be rewatches. Two of them I have at 6/10 but haven't seen them in years so maybe they've aged well. The other five I have seen are all 8+ movies. Not bad.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
High Noon certainly isn't for everybody so I can't say I'd be shocked with any bad ratings. I do think it's an extremely well made film though.

Citizen, you mentioned a one week open door policy, so I might still try to come up with a nomination over the next few days. I had high hopes for a film I watched Saturday evening, but it wasn't as engaging as I was anticipating.

There are a couple more films I wanted to watch as potential nominations, but work has been an absolute nightmare lately, so I haven't really had the chance. My supervisor wants us to come in an hour earlier for the rest of the week as well (4am ), so hopefully I still have the mental energy by the time I get home haha.

The Squid and the Whale

Well, it's hard to talk about this film. Not because of the personal experience or anything, my parents never divorced, but because it's such a non-plot-based film that it's hard to really analyze. It reminds me of The Florida Project in terms of its structure and pacing (not so much its material). I didn't like it as much as the Florida Project, but, after seeing it yesterday, I think it's been growing on me. None of the characters are all that great of course, and none of the acting is amazing. But this movie just stuck with me. I liked a lot of the script and dialogue scenes, especially with Walt. The story for the most part could have been handled better, but that's a minor complaint. The younger kid, Frank, is certainly weird and I could see him growing up to be a psychopath. I actually didn't like the Squid and the Whale analogy. It was stupid and although it obviously connected to the plot they could have done a better job. So, I know this has been a vague review, but I'm finding it hard to share what I think about this film. In the end, I really liked it. Not sure it'll be a favorite ever, but I liked it.

Also: I loved the soundtrack! "School House Rock," wow that brought back deep childhood memories!

-