Top 5 Westerns

Tools    

On a related note, what is/are the best John Wayne movies?

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
hey guys, do ya think someone could gimme a real quick review on Rio Bravo, i just bough it for my pops ad i have no iea if its actually good.

So many good movies, so little time.
Rio Bravo is a very good movie. It is Howard Hawks and John Wayne's answer to Fred Zinneman's High Noon which had a Western marshall begging for help, something Wayne and Hawks didn't think he would ever do. It has a great cast with Ricky Nelson, Dean Martin, Angie Dickinson, Walter Brennan and Ward Bond.

My favorite John Wayne Westerns
1. The Searchers (my favorite movie)
2. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
3. Red River
4. Fort Apache
5. Rio Grande
6. Stagecoach
7. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
8. The Shootist
9. Rio Bravo
10. Th Cowboys

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

My top 5

1. THE WILD BUNCH
2. ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST
3. LITTLE BIG MAN
4. THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY
5. THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

I've not seen a lot of westerns, including all John Ford films, John Wayne movies, or any Eastwood westerns outside of Unforgiven and his Leone flicks. But here's my top 5 anyways.
1. Once Upon A Time In The West (in or very close to my top 10)
2. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (also in or around my top 10)
3. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
4. For A Few Dollars More
5. Unforgiven
I just taped The Wild Bunch to rewatch, so it could very well enter this list again when I watch it. I'll update if it changes.

I rule
Django

For a few dollars more

A man called Blade

The Ballad of Cable Hogue

Tombstone

... although really the dollars trillogy would take up the first three places, but I thought I would mix it up a bit

REVIEWS

Anonymous Last told me to drop in ...

Originally Posted by feral cat
A man called Blade

The Ballad of Cable Hogue

I don't think I've ever seen either of those...

Oh, and welcome to MoFo...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

One of my favorite westerns of all time . . . One-Eyed Jacks--the only movie Marlon Brando ever directed (and starred in too)! Also stars his co-star from On the Waterfront--Karl Malden as the two-timing Sherrif Dad Longworth and Slim Pickens as Deputy Lon Dedrick. Another great western is Viva Zapata also starring Brando in the title role and directed by Elia Kazan (also the director of On the Waterfront and A Streetcar named Desire) and written by the one and only John Steinbeck, one of the greatest American novelists of the last century.

Originally Posted by feral cat
Django
I also think Django is one of the all-time greatest westerns--though, IMO, it's kind of tongue-in-cheek and pretty over the top. I also like some of Franco Nero's other westerns like Texas, Adios. Actually, Franco Nero made 3 westerns with director Sergio Corbucci, which form a kind of trilogy. They are all pretty good. The first was, of course, Django, which has become a cult favorite, and also had a sequel which Franco Nero made several years later--Django Strikes Again. The second in the trilogy was The Mercenary, with Jack Palance, and the third was Companeros, with Tomas Milian and Fernando Rey. Of the three, I think my favorite one is The Mercenary.

Good choice, though.

And another pretty hilarious western is The Frisco Kid with Harrison Ford and Gene Wilder.

Originally Posted by darkhorse
I also think Django is one of the all-time greatest westerns--though, IMO, it's kind of tongue-in-cheek and pretty over the top. I also like some of Franco Nero's other westerns like Texas, Adios. Actually, Franco Nero made 3 westerns with director Sergio Corbucci, which form a kind of trilogy. They are all pretty good. The first was, of course, Django, which has become a cult favorite, and also had a sequel which Franco Nero made several years later--Django Strikes Again. The second in the trilogy was The Mercenary, with Jack Palance, and the third was Companeros, with Tomas Milian and Fernando Rey. Of the three, I think my favorite one is The Mercenary.

Good choice, though.
Haha, Django.Oh Boy.

I rule
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I don't think I've ever seen either of those...

Oh, and welcome to MoFo...
... thanks for the welcome, been a lurker for a while ...

A man called Blade is also known by it's original title Mannaja and is a Spaggetti western by Sergio Martino about an axe throwing "man with no name" type character.

The Ballad of Cable Hogue, is a really mellow western by Sam Peckinpah

Once upon a Time in the West

The Searchers

Unforgiven

My Darling Clementine

The Good, the Bad and The Ugly

Others:

Open Range ( the final gunfight sounds incredible in surround sound )
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Mag Seven
How the West Was Won

A system of cells interlinked
Let's not forget....

Clint Eastwodd (aka Marty McFly) and Buford "MadDog" Tannen in Back to the Future - Part III.

Ok, I know, I know....

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
1. Once Upon A Time in the West (1968 - Leone)
2. Unforgiven (1992 - Eastwood)
3. The Wild Bunch (1969 - Peckinpah)
4. Little Big Man (1970 - Arthur Penn)
5. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971 - Robert Altman)
What's Once Upon A time in the West about? And who's in it?

Originally Posted by ruroni_kenny
What's Once Upon A time in the West about?
Once Upon A Time in the West is about two-hours and forty-five-minutes long.

But seriously, it's about the changing of the West from wild frontier to growing societies and the railroad that made it possible, a revision of, comment upon, and expansion from the Hollywood film myths of John Ford and others, and what happens to the deadly men who ruled the wilderness with guns when they have to make way for progress. It's also about revenge and love and redemption and honor and friendship and the corruption of power, all in a sweeping Operatic scope and Leone's indelible style.

It stars Henry Fonda, Chuck Bronson, Jason Robards and Claudia Cardinale (8˝, The Leopard, The Professionals, Fitzcarraldo). It was directed by the legendary Sergio Leone, and features yet another unforgettable score by Ennio Morricone.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	jill.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	24256  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Another good western is Silverado with an all-star cast including Kevin Kline, Kevin Costner, John Cleese, Scott Glenn, Danny Glover, Jeff Goldblum and others. Directed by Lawrence Kasdan (screenwriter for Raiders of the Lost Ark).

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
I haven't seen many westerns but I do love Leone's movies so my list would be:

1.)The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
2.)Once Upon A Time In The West
3.)A Fistful Of Dollars
4.)Unforgiven
5.)For A Few Dollars More
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."