Wages of Fear = Perfection

Tools    

About a month ago I finally got around to watching Wages of Fear (Clouzot, 1953), and can say honestly it's one of the best films ever made.

I always thought the US remake, Sorcerer, was a great film, but WoF really puts it to shame, which is what I've always heard.

Interesting. I didn't know Sorcerer was a remake. Love watching that one on Blu Ray.

About a month ago I finally got around to watching Wages of Fear (Clouzot, 1953), and can say honestly it's one of the best films ever made.

I always thought the US remake, Sorcerer, was a great film, but WoF really puts it to shame, which is what I've always heard.
really ? its just my opinion but i felt sorcerer is more unsettling and creepy...i felt wof felt little cartoonish and they spent too much time in the "prison"...but i do agree that given the time period it was made, it was damn good movie.

really ? its just my opinion but i felt sorcerer is more unsettling and creepy...i felt wof felt little cartoonish and they spent too much time in the "prison"...but i do agree that given the time period it was made, it was damn good movie.
I disagree - it's not just a great film "for the time period", it's aged incredibly well. It presented a level of craftsmanship and character development that you rarely see anymore.

Not saying Sorcerer wasn't also excellent - on the contrary, it's one of the best movies of the 70s IMO, but it certainly lacked the character development of WoF. I can't recall or care about a single character in Sorcerer outside of Roy Scheider's protagonist role.