What is the point of movies like up in the air or descendants

Tools    

Not only that, but as I keep pointing out, lots of theaters have more screens than they can profitably fill with just blockbusters. Which is why they, ya' know, don't. They're not making donations to character dramas. They recognize, contra the OP, that there are hundreds of millions of people in this country and they don't all like the same thing, and it's profitable to exhibit films of all types.

It ain't complicated.

This guy is so narrow minded it hurts.

Well either that, or he’s the second most persistent troll in the history of the internet...
fixed it for ya

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Or the same one.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Every story doesn't need a big bang either at the end or during it.

Some of the stories can be really beautiful representation of human emotions and relationships - in an understated manner. And even in those movies certain scenes can be intensely powerful and enjoyable for a viewer.

For the movies mentioned I look at Matthew Lillard breaking down in his house. Or Clooney's confrontation with his wife's friend, and acknowledgment of his own behaviour, or Nick Krause's character coming across as smart in his own way.

Same for Up in the Air or I could say the same about Manchester by the Sea or The End of the Tour.

These were wonderful movies. And they definitely had a purpose.