3. the guy who directed The Empire Strikes Back
4. Ridley Scott
5. James Cameron
6. Martin Scorsese
7. Steven Spielberg
8. David Lynch
9. Paul Thomas Anderson
10. Zemeckis

Oh yeah, James Cameron > Martin Scorsese and David Lynch.
enjoy his work on Robocop 2?

BTW Ridley Scott is English, even been knighted apparently. Doesn't really matter in the context of this thread though.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Kubrick
Lynch
Gilliam
Paul Thomas Anderson
Chaplin
Keaton
Coen Brothers
Van Sant
Wilder
Scorsese

Steven Spielberg is the greatest director of all time and it's not even debatable.There has been no director that has a better commercial and critical success than Spielberg

Spileberg revolutionised movies.His movie Jaws created the template what we know today as the summer blockbuster.Close Encounteres of the Third Kind helped popularise words like alien and UFOs.Indiana Jones is arguably the greatest fictional character in movies along with Jack Sparrow and Raider of Lost Ark is widely regarded as the best adventure movie ever.E.T is arguably the greatest children movie of all time.Jurassic Park was the milestone in CGI.Spielberg has created successful critically acclaimed movies such as Schindler's List,Saving Private Ryan,Minority Report,Lincoln etc

Three of Spielberg movies(Jaws,E.T and Jurassic Park) held the record of all time top grossing movies.That's a record too

I don't think it's even a debate that Spielberg is the greatest director of all time.Spielberg has done movies in all genres and his movies appeal to the audiences and not just the critics or people on the internet like many other so called "great directors"

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
steven spielberg is the greatest director of all time and it's not even debatable.there has been no director that has a better commercial and critical success than spielberg

spileberg revolutionised movies.his movie jaws created the template what we know today as the summer blockbuster.close encounteres of the third kind helped popularise words like alien and ufos.indiana jones is arguably the greatest fictional character in movies along with jack sparrow and raider of lost ark is widely regarded as the best adventure movie ever.e.t is arguably the greatest children movie of all time.jurassic park was the milestone in cgi.spielberg has created successful critically acclaimed movies such as schindler's list,saving private ryan,minority report,lincoln etc

i don't think it's even a debate that spielberg is the greatest director of all time.no one even comes close.comparing someone like martin scorsese to spielberg is a joke.so many of his "great" movies were flops and didn't appeal to audiences.
k

I mean, personally, I think Yasujiro Ozu, who came to the medium with a unique visual approach and recognized film as a performance, pictorial, and narrative medium and united these elements uniquely and brilliantly in all of his films, has a shot at this, but I'm sure you heavily considered his work and found it to be inferior to Spielberg's work before making such a broad declaration like that, no?

Objectively,Spielberg is the greatest

Objectively,Spielberg is the greatest
First of all, claiming objectivity would imply that there is a tool for quantitatively measuring the value of art, which cannot exist for the same reason that art is important and powerful, that being subjectivity. Don't claim objectivity on anything that you cannot quantify, it makes you sound stupid.

Second, it seems foolish to me that someone would attempt to claim to know the greatest director of all time would have little to compare their choice pick to besides Martin Scorsese. America is not the only country that makes films in fact, and anybody claiming to have certain knowledge of the best should be aware of more than just American cinema, which I highly doubt you have.

Lastly, understand that I say this only because I have extreme distaste for such broad statements as I feel they tighten rather than broaden horizons, which (in my subjective opinion) is the opposite of what should happen.

^I am not even an American.I am from India.Just saying.

Unless you have proved your self on the biggest stage,you can't be the greatest.Illayaraja is widely regarded as a genius but I can't say he is the greatest music director of all time.

this is hilarious on so many levels.
Why?

Can you name me one other director that has has had a bigger combination of commercial and critical success than Spielberg?

Why?

Can you name me one other director that has has had a bigger combination of commercial and critical success than Spielberg?
How does this indicate that he is the best director of all time? How do you quantify critical success? Does this take into account formal, academic criticism, or just newspaper reviews?

Why?

Who cares about commercial or critical success, other than the director and producers? My 3 fav American directors are Scorcese,Coppola and PTA. None of them are exactly box office draws, but they all make great movies imo. Keep faith with James Cameron though since he makes the most money

I am a fan of James Cameron's movies.My only problem with him is he has made very few movies.

K, this doesn't indicate your knowledge of world cinema.
Seriously we've been told Spielberg is the greatest , stop trying to disagree with Adamhanks because everyone other than him is wrong.

K, this doesn't indicate your knowledge of world cinema.
When did I say I have complete knowledge of world movie?

Nobody in this forum has it anyway.I don't think there is anyone in this forum that watches movie in every language and then analyses it.

Seriously we've been told Spielberg is the greatest , stop trying to disagree with Adamhanks because everyone other than him is wrong.
Objectively, AdamHanks is right.

Lol.

Typical movie critic on the internet

Objectively, AdamHanks is right.
Do you need a tissue?